scammed on craigslist for a Pioneer SX-1250

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by corpblues, Oct 2, 2017.

1. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

A person need not have more than one item if he has a video/pictures he picked up on the web.

mstrane21 likes this.
  2. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

He can claim, for example, that he did deliver that one and that YOU have two of them and that you're the one trying to pull the scam. It would be his word against yours. I briefly considered you could take him to Small Claims court and charge him with fraud, but this would be his defense.

It actually takes extra mental work for us honest people to figure out ways to cheat, whereas the lowlifes figure it all out ahead of time like it was nuttin'.

merlynski and danrclem like this.
  3. elrod

elrod AK Subscriber Subscriber

I know it's too late now, but in the future you can always ask for a bill of sales with names,date,unit SN, sell amount and that sort of thing. If there not willing to do that it's definitely a red flag. I also save the web page so you have that for future reference after the seller deletes the ad.

Bdbras84 likes this.
  4. corpblues

corpblues AK Member Subscriber

Putting the ole switcheroo behind me as a lesson learned.

One final comment, I would have bought it not working for $500, so he sold his soul for a couple hundred extra bucks. When I sell my soul, the price will be higher, lol.

Opening a new thread for the repair in the pioneer forum.

bashman likes this.
  5. sheltie dave

sheltie dave Addicted Member

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...mplete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=pioneer+sx1250&_sop=3

You are within $150 for bottom of market, you got a unit that powers up, and the repairs (hopefully) will not be onerous. I would drop the spiel that you will donate a portion to a charity when you flip...there are plenty that donate the whole amount and don't need to use the charity pitch as a ploy for a lower price.

I really don't see how you got scammed too much - you let your greed get ahead of your due diligence, and it gave you the lesson to be a little more careful, with a little bit better radar, the next time this comes around. I would question why you want to bottom chum for flips to protect yourself, when bottom chumming exposes you to a larger risk/lower profit profile than dealing upmarket. You can spend $500 getting this bad boy up to speed, and still make a good return, while a lesser receiver would be leaking money with a $100 repair.

pl50 and darkblue94 like this.
  6. corpblues

Sheltie Dave,

I admit those are valid points. I did let my lust for the receiver get ahead of my due dilligence. The hobby has been good to me and I should stop complaining.

I donate 10% of my ebay sells to charity as a way of giving back a bit, not trying to be a saint or any special. You are right again, I should not have mentioned charity donantions to anyone, wish I could undo sharing that fact.

My frustation is more the intentional misrepresentation and switcheroo than the money. Condition and price are a judgement call, but in this case there was intentional misrepresention. I reached out to the seller hoping to at least discuss the situation but he will not respond.

If repair is $500, I will be $1250 into it, which is what it may sell for according to the ebay solds for repaired working but not fully renovated sx-1250's. And that's not includling the fees.

I sell primarily on ebay as I like the platform for ease of listing, selling, buyer/seller protection, paypal, discounted fedex shipping and ease of automated donation to a charity. The ebay/paypal fees are high but after this lesson, perhaps they are not high considering the protection/resolution services they provide to both buyer and seller.

Moving on with my lesson learned bag a bit more full.

7. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Of course he got scammed. It was avoidable, but he definitely got scammed.

The great karmic wheel turns. May it bring you abundance, and the douchebag scammer...fleas.

8. BobbyBluz

BobbyBluz Well-Known Member

Regardless of the price of an item I don't buy anything off Craigslist unless I can go to the seller's residence. If they object it's a flag not to do business with them. I also verify the item is fully functional (unless I'm getting it for parts) before paying for it. Also, having grown up around hardcore criminals I know when somebody is trying to run a game and is looking for an easy mark.

Dale A B and BilboBaggins like this.
  9. corpblues

I perfer to meet people at starbucks for the safey of myself and the other party. Bringing someone unknown inside my home is not a risk I put on my family. Got a few odd looks carrying gear into starbucks but, then they go back to staring at their cell phone screens. If they don't want to meet inside a public place that is a red flag, like the red flag I ignored in this case.

When selling a large expensive itemm, I have invited a few people into my home, but that is pretty rare. Most can be carried into and tested into Starbucks.

When buying I typically do have to go to the persons residence. If it feels looks sketchy or feel wrong, I don't go in.

10. biscuithead

biscuithead Me likes the eargasm retroplasm... Subscriber

Sounds like you've been playing the game for a while, and this is the first burn? Calculate it in as the cost of doing business (flipping business) and know that not every one is a WIN. Don't let this deter you, let it teach you.

slowpat likes this.
  11. mark warren

mark warren Always Learning! Subscriber

Cops wont do anything unless you lay everything right in there laps! they come out write some things down get smart with you and leave and you never hear anything else. Sad but true! Im not trying to bash Cops but this is just the truth...............:no:

12. Killer Fox

Killer Fox AK Subscriber Subscriber

Most likely the guy didn't have two SX-1250s but grabbed a video off of the Internet. From the sound of the condition the guy probably was not an audio enthusiast and acquired it from a yard sale or something and was simply flipping it.

There have been several times I met up with people to buy something and the photo they had online wasn't the actual item. Everyone of them said something like "yea I found a photo online. I don't have a good phone camera". Now I ask of any photos or videos are of the actual unit before meeting.

13. corpblues

Been at this for about for about 2 years to suport my hobby/adiction. I have not broken even yet, but I was getting close to covering the cost for my collection. Everytime I get close to my hobby paying for itself, I buy something else even more expensive, lol. Like buying a boat, you always need the next larger one.

satellite65 likes this.
  14. corpblues

I do perfer the police to focus on more serious crimes and protecting citizens, and not spend their time on CL scams that people (like me) get themselves into.

15. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

Don't beat yourself up to much. This was an expensive lesson learned.

Sending the seller a message stating all info is going to the local PD might get a response. Then do it!

Barney

16. corpblues

done and done

17. dontmindme

dontmindme Creature

I'd watch cl for more items of his and attempt to meet him again, you're email won't be revealed if you email back through the ad.......Maybe he could be convinced otherwise if you meet him face to face again. Just say'n

18. goodolpg

goodolpg AK Member Subscriber

The two happiest days of a boat owners life:
    1. The day he buys the boat.
    2. The day he sells the boat.

19. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

We need to think about this for a minute. Do we need two officers making 25 an hour or way more, depending, chase down a guy that scammed his way to an extra couple hundred bucks? A report sure, maybe repeat occurrences will flag and they can take a look but for one CL transaction with limited loss, let's go get another cup of coffee.

20. Killer Fox

Killer Fox AK Subscriber Subscriber

Uhh I'm pretty sure the police aren't gong to drop everything to get on this big case, so you really don't need to worry about any wasted tax dollars.

They won't even call it a "scam". There was an exchange of goods and $$. The buyer CHOSE to buy it, regardless of what he was looking at in person prior to handing over money. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic (I have been in the same situation) , I'm just pointing out how the police look at it.

Here's a scam:

A girl that works for my Dad, her Dad was shopping for a boat few years ago. He found the perfect boat on CL but it was a few hours away. After some back and forth, looking at photos, discussion, etc. he wired $30,000 to the seller and set up a time to pick it up. Got there and it was a bogus address and no seller, no boat. $30,000 gone, just like that, poof!!