scammed on craigslist for a Pioneer SX-1250

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by corpblues, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

And I'm pointing out that I would rather they do more police business than chase this issue.

2. Killer Fox

Killer Fox AK Subscriber Subscriber

Agree, they won't so no worries.

3. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

A co-worker was looking at a horse trailer on CL that cost thousands and was hundreds of miles away. I warned her not to buy it remotely and try to go pick it up. Probably fine but you just never know. Cash only, in person, goes for buyer as well as seller.

As for the cops...I realize they are overwhelmed with the volume, but consider this: the reason these scumbags think they can get away with these scams in the first place, is because they know that. If the cops came after scammers more, maybe some of them would think twice about scamming their neighbors. Just a thought. I thought that's what law enforcement was supposed to be for.

4. Killer Fox

It is. What they are not for is re-negotiating your deals or getting you a refund if you have buyer's remorse.

Caveat emptor.

markshan likes this.
  5. centsless

centsless Well-Known Member

You didn't get scammed...you just didn't get to steal it. I don't see you losing any money.

6. EastPoint

EastPoint AK Subscriber Subscriber

He was sold an item that was described as working, and it does not work. He was ripped off. This is not buyer's remorse. He was scammed.

Beatnik, Snow and elitopus like this.
  7. toxcrusadr

So you guys think that selling a broken receiver advertised as fully working by means of a swiped video that is not of the item in question...is not a scam, and that the OP simply has buyer's remorse? Sorry but I disagree.

Beatnik and Snow like this.
  8. Killer Fox

No, I think the police think that. Or just don't care.

I personally think it's being "ripped off", but it doesn't matter what I think. I'm also realistic enough to know that when you buy something from CL and have the opportunity to see it in person and test it (or choose to take your chances if you can't test) you are then taking a gamble. It's "as is" with these things.

At that point it becomes "buyer's remorse". He decided to buy what he saw.....as is. You think there is a warranty on 40 years old items from CL? I'm certainly not defending the seller, just being realistic. When it happens I suck it up and kick myself for not handling it better. I also learn a better way to make sure it doesn't happen again. I have done the same as the buyer and ended up overpaying, etc. I try to either get the unit up to satisfaction or try to break even on a reselling it (in an honest manner).

Caveat emptor.

markshan likes this.
  9. toxcrusadr

OK, I don't disagree with that. Just didn't want us to lose track of the fact that the seller was crooked.

10. elrod

elrod AK Subscriber Subscriber

As far as possible police response, it would probably be like The "Big Bang Theory" episode when Sheldon's World of Warcraft account was hacked by Todd Zarnecki. Sheldon called the police and they had a less than sympathetic ear to Sheldon's plight....

11. corpblues

corpblues AK Member Subscriber

The Bedford TX PD was really good about it. They asked for details and evidence which I provided. I asked them to not spend time on this, but only to put the seller on their radar. They did contact him but they have not heard back from him yet.

To me the scam was providing videos of one receiver and then intentionally delivering another one.

The scam to me was it was delivering a different receiver than the one sold to me in the videos.
    I fully understand that vintage receivers can stop working at any time. Heck, a vintage item can easily stop working just from moving it around.
    Had the same receiver been delivered, but not as nice as describe that would not be a scam, just puffing.

If this served as nothing more than a reminder to everyone to always do your due diligence when buying, it was worth sharing my story.

12. slowpat

slowpat AK Subscriber Subscriber

As byoungman1 said, you can also flame him on CL, so that the next buyer won't get scammed. I see those type of "public service announcements" on CL where the post described the scam in detail , and I have thanked those posters a few times.

As for your purchase, the SX-1250 value just keeps climbing, so you likely will still make a few bucks on it. I remember looking at my purchases over the years where I noted "why did I pay that price", and yet, still broke even or sold at a few dollars more. TOTL gear usually maintains the value...

13. superdog

superdog AK Member

If I'm going to buy a $700 receiver I want to see it work in person.I'm not going to go for the "I'll meet you at so and so place".I'll agree the guy got burned because it was not as advertised.This is why you don't do it this way.

BilboBaggins likes this.
  14. sheltie dave

sheltie dave Addicted Member

Chris, I think the seller did the ole bait and switcheroo. The OP is still going to come out ahead, in all likelihood, he just needs to work at it now. He squeezed an extra fifty off the unit. You can't get too upset about a scam where you have a fighting chance of profit; that is a good education. The seller is now on the police radar, so his tricks will be a tad more risky. Sooner or later, his karmic withdrawals will end, painfully. Since this is D&S, there is no holding the OP from posting the ad and certain details.

Twenty years ago, I would run an ad for an old Pioneer receiver for sale at a flea market, and accidently have a few Harley buds mistake him for someone who owed them money at the market.

Now that I am old and gray, and love peace in the valley, I would merely post signs for a new chop suey restaurant flyer, offering free or half price meals for the first hundred callers, and put a couple hundred on telephone poles and the college campuses, med schools, and blood donation clinics. Make sure his phone number is in LARGE font.

None of us like to be scammed, but my very last comment is you WILL be scammed if you do not keep your eyes open, and your radar on.

elitopus likes this.
  15. goodolpg

goodolpg AK Member Subscriber

I understand where the OP is coming from.
    Sure, he may still do okay on it, but it's the principle.
    Was not sold what was advertised.
    JMO, he's entitled to warn others about this sellers tactics.

In addition, the OP and maybe others have learned a lesson about doing due diligence when making a purchase.

16. audiomagnate

audiomagnate AK Subscriber Subscriber

The police will say they can't help because it's a civil issue. Atlanta is ripoff central and I've been through this several times since my recent move here. Now I assume the seller is lying or clueless and I'm usually right.

17. mark warren

mark warren Always Learning! Subscriber

Tell the police there is drugs inside the receiver and they will be all about it! The Police cant help because its a civil matter!!!! That blows my mind!

18. centsless

centsless Well-Known Member

Scammed is when you lose ALL your money. He is still not going to lose any money. Read his story again...he got greedy and overlooked the obvious. The seller says I could sell it for $800 but because you are special...I will sell it for less?...lol.

That is car salesman tricks...and have yet to see them arrested. You just should know better is all. Suck it up and move on I say. You still are not losing any money...just harder to FLIP and make money.

19. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

Caveat Emptor.

If you're in the flipping business, it would make so much more sense to be fully informed
    and completely able to determine the operational status of anything you find. and
    even if it does work for a couple of minutes, you don't know if the phono section is
    blown, or the bias/offsets goes nutz after 5+ minutes. or the tuner drifts, or the entire
    receiver goes into protection after you get it home.

battling the BS from flipper #1 could be as simple, as (with or without a test)
    "since I can't be guaranteed it (continues to) work/s, I'd love to give you your asking
    price but I can't - <<<issue low ball offers>>>"

as more and more units are being flipped, the rebuilt units set the high water marks,
    and the "needs complete overhaul" will require you to plan the "fix" and factor in the $$$.

like a car with bad tires (cheap if you get replacements at junkyards) or a car with a blown
    engine (costly plus lots of labor). there are zillions of car flippers, pay them $100 to
    follow them for a (busy) day and get all the tricks of a master flipper. Auto experience
    applies to audio flippers.

(I have a buddy who flips corvettes and Crown Vics. CVs are easy, seats out of a P71
    go to taxi companies, repaints and cop-car-spots-removals are done by highly specialized
    car guys, resell to geezers and young guys with sore butts).

until you get the skillz of a master flipper, I'd stop doing battles with them, lots and
    lots of CL/ebay audio stuff is easy to fix: (bad cable in dead TT, monitor switch engaged
    in dead amp, missing/melted belts in anything belt driven, etc).

rather than the easier TOTL, do the lower-end - bundle with music. lots of opportunities
    to become a master flipper.

20. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Grandma only listened to it on Sunday after church.

whoaru99 and elitopus like this.