Scandyna Speakers

Spudnik

Anybody familiar with these Scandyna SD 02 bookshelf speakers. 3 way, max 80 watts. Made in Denmark. I've attached a picture, but it's not a very good one. I got these a while back, but have yet to find any info on them. They're very small, but sound OK for their size.

Saw a pair of these a while back at a flea market in Toronto. Same place? Considered them myself, but shied from three-way technology in such a small, light box. Also, went searching and could find no info on them anywhere. Very few Danish makers (other than Dynaco and B&O) spring to mind so they're a puzzle. I'd class them as bookshelfs, and they're probably fairly efficient. Am I right?

Got them at a garage sale in Toronto a few years back. Yes their fairly efficient. Right now I've just got them hooked up to my family room television system where they do a serviceable job.

Neat. Pair I saw (and considered) looked clean. Just didn't trust three-way in something so small. What are you driving them with?

Yeah, these are pretty clean except the grill has a couple of minor picks. I think they were 20 dollars for the pair, which I thought was worth the chance. They lack fullness in the lower end as you would imagine in a smaller package ( I think the woofers are 8 inches, maybe even 6). Just have them hooked up to the speaker outputs on my stereo television, nothing fancy. Seems to be a good match for that.

I've found a scandyna web site selling modern speakers, but no mention of their older products so don't know if it's the same company. Here's the link:

http://www.scandyna-speakers.com/

Think we both found the same site.

But you did well for $20. The flea market vendor was asking $50 for his, about three months ago.

According to the link, Scandyna is descended from the company that brought us the reknowned Dynaco A-25!!! No archive on the website, but Company info page shows timeline. $20? Give 'em some juice and see how they sound. Danish drivers, SCORE!

Just did an A-B comparison with the B&W 610i's that I currently have connected to my sx-780. Perhaps an unfair comparison, but the Scandyna's definitely lacking in bass, although other than that sound very accuate. Also, surprisingly, seem a little less efficient than the B&W's, if perceived loudness at the same volume level is a proper way to determine efficiency. Could be attributed to the increased level of bass being pumped out by the B&W's compared to the Scandyna's I suppose.

All in all, a pretty good speaker for $20. Although I haven't take them out, the drivers look very high quality, with paper inverted surrounds on the woofer instead of foam ones. By the way, I just measured the woofers, they're 6 inches across. (At this size are they still woofers?)
The cabinet is about 7 inches deep by 10 inches wide by 17 inches high.

Back
Top Bottom