Scariest movie you ever saw! Mine was

For me me it would have to be the movie "Gothic" made somewhere around 1986. Never has a movie affected me the way that one has. Nothing in it will jump out and scare you nor will you see any blood or gore but it will make you feel like you just watched something very, very bad and wrong. Watch it in a dark room late at night and you WILL be freaked out. The first time I saw it I was twenty years old and I had trouble getting through the whole thing.

Mine was an old movie from the 60's - could have been The Haunting on Hill House.

There is a scene where two women are sharing a room in an old house. They are in twin beds. In the middle of the night, they are awakened by strange noises or movements in the room. Due to their fear, they reach out to hold hands across the room between their beds. When they wake up the next morning - the beds are too far apart for them to be able to hold hands. SOMETHING ELSE WAS IN THE ROOM BETWEEN THEM HOLDING EACH OF THEIR HANDS.

To this day - I cannot sleep with my arm extended off the bed.

:para::para::para::para:

I remember that movie!! That freaked me out, too!!!! :yikes:

The Evil Dead had a couple of scenes that really gave me the creeps. The girl being attacked by the tree roots was one and the very last scene where the camera comes through the woods, through the cabin and "gets" the unsuspecting sole survivor in the daylight!

Ya gotta love Bruce Campbell

The Evil Dead had a couple of scenes that really gave me the creeps. The girl being attacked by the tree roots was one and the very last scene where the camera comes through the woods, through the cabin and "gets" the unsuspecting sole survivor in the daylight!

I liked the Evil Dead movies, but state of mind had a large influence that likely wouldn't come into play today.

The original evil dead really is a scary film despite the cheesy opening. The scenes with the girlfriend were intense and the chick in the cellar was excellent, love the demon voice & that moment where she tricked Ash. The sequels were a lot of fun thanks to Sam Raimi & Bruce. Apparently there is going to be a new Evil Dead movie coming out next year.

I've always wondered why Bruce Campbell hasn't had more success in movies other than Raimi's. He's a very talented comic actor.

Speaking of "another in a series": There's another RE-ANIMATOR film in the works. Good Old Brian Yuzna and his actual success in making Lovecraft stories work well on film.

He did "Dagon" which was a pretty good adaptation of The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Another of his films (actually, the first Yuzna film I saw which messed me up for a week) was FROM BEYOND.

I was around 12 when I saw "The Thing" in 1953 as I remember. ...didn't think I'd live to be 13 with the nightmares it produced.

James Arness played "The Thing".
Who's James Arness you ask.
He went on to star in "Gunsmoke".
What's "Gunsmoke" you ask.

Nevermind - It helps to be an old phart.

Only "Alien" comes close to the subtlety of "The Thing".

Ron.

I know this is a very old post, but one better: Who played Matt Dillons voice on the radio show "Gunsmoke"?
Old fart my ass!

russellc

One more of the 'local yokels get their come-uppance' films:
"I spit on Your Grave."

Camille Keaton is a writer who's gone to the country to find peace to write. Local cretins do very bad things to her. And that's just the set-up....

The bathtub scene will make any man wince. Guaranteed.

A nasty little film in the tradition of "Chainsaw Massacre" where the shortcomings of the filmmaking combine with the story to take it to a level that's altogether....oogy.

(Wait, no one mentioned 'Misery', as I recall.)

C.

I remember watching this after school at my friend's house. Their mother came home earlier than we thought. When she asked what we were watching we told her it was about a woman who is raped and then gets revenge on the rapists. She said, "Good for her!" and she sat down and watched some with us.

Another of his films (actually, the first Yuzna film I saw which messed me up for a week) was FROM BEYOND.

I really like From Beyond. Jeff Combs is well suited to any horror flick, and does a good job in this one. M. Crampton is sexy as hell in her black lingerie after she's under the spell of Dr. Pretorious.

My version on DVD is a Chinese import. It has undefeatable Chinese sub-titles, but doesn't distract too much from the movie. I haven't checked lately to see if there is an American release of this film. From about 1986 or '87, I think.

Blue Velvet is also a very dark and unsettling, psychotic film with Dennis Hopper, Isabella Rossillini and a very young Laura Dern. Dean Stockwell also does a great job as a psychotic, drug addicted loon. Also from 1986.

I agree, Blue Velvet was freaky scary. Have you ever seen:
Videodrome
Eraserhead
Lost Highway
The reincarnation of Peter Proud
The Keep
Razorback (Australian)
The Quiet Earth (New Zealand)
Each has it's own degree of scaryness some more so....

Seriously, "The Omen" had me freaked as "The Exorcist" did when it first came out.

Some of the movies you guys mention, I've never heard of.

Gonna have to make a list, and head to the video store.

Dave

I know this is a very old post, but one better: Who played Matt Dillons voice on the radio show "Gunsmoke"?
Old fart my ass!

russellc

A few different actors but the one most people remember was William Conrad, who played it longest and best, imho.

In the 70s he starred in the TV series "CANNON" as the rotund private detective.

The television version of "Gunsmoke" starred James Arness. The show's producers had tried to get John Wayne into television and offered him the role. He turned it down but suggested they audition Arness, who had recently costarred with Wayne in a movie. The rest is history.

Back
Top Bottom