Scary. Wrapping up a DIY remodel and kind of enjoyed it

RamblinE

(╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻
Moved in with my retired mother in August to help her pay the mortgage and keep the house. Girlfriend loved the extra space for the dog, and gardening, and gets along with my mother (weird).

My mother’s third floor was finished with wood panel and carpet when I was a kid. A few years ago a tree came through the roof and insurance only paid for structural repairs. So we are refinishing the finished attic.

We tore out the wood paneling, replacing it with sheet rock and paint. This included boxing out the widows. The skylights were never completely finished and one needed corner bead. Did that. We are keeping the wood paneling on all crawl space access doors and on the facade of the closet. Crawl space access doors just need to be trimmed around. I made the trim out of 1x4s.

This week I took a few days off from work. The trim is going up around the crawl space doors. I found ornate hook in eye latches to keep them shut. My supervisor lent me one of his three (three?!) nail gun/air compressor combos. I just got back from the store with 1x4 common boards and a compound telescoping mitre saw. Tomorrow the 1x4s will be turned into baseboards.

I’m enjoying all of this at least a little bit. I suppose it would be different if I was doing this in my free time and worked in the trades. I work in sales and am a part time business/HR major.

After the baseboards we just need to paint and stencil the subfloor. It is already primered. This will be our living room and creative space for as long as we are living here helping my ma, who’s 71. Can’t wait to put up some pictures. This has been the kind of thing that I never thought I’d be doing, let alone actually have some fun with it.

Sounds good! Painted floors could be very cool, I would be interested to see the finished stenciling. You may need some rugs to make the hard surface more friendly for your audio.

Good on you. So many I know wouldn't even try to repair a faucet, let along tackle the job you are doing. Keep it up, you'll find the skills and knowledge gained will serve you well in the future.
Pictures would be nice, too.

Back
Top Bottom