Schiit Loki - Possible EQ replacement for RS-IIb?

AZDean

I don't have the RS-IIb, and I probably won't ever have them, but I was reading about one of Schiit Audio's latest products, Loki, a four band EQ. It's pretty different than any other EQ I've seen, and it may be a good match to the RS-IIb for those that are missing the bass EQ. That is if I recall the RS-IIb EQ correctly, it's been 30 years for me.

The Loki has four bands, centered at 20Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz and 8kHz. The adjustments start with a broad Q and narrows as you increase/decrease the adjustment.

Those with the knowledge, thoughts?

I don't think it would be my choice, honestly. If I had the -IIa/b, and had to replace the EQ, I'd probably first explore the Marchand Bassis to see if it was desirable in this case. On the surface, I don't see why it wouldn't...an adjustable frequency with variable Q settings. You'd want something that brings the eq in where the frequency response of the woofers drops off because of the box response (essentially the Fc of the system and resultant Q). But, you have to start by knowing what that response is. Or, going a little further, what the complete in-room response is. The Loki offers a 20Hz center frequency for the bass region in question. That may or may not be an appropriate frequency for the system response. If one knew the possible response curves and variables of the original equalizer, that would be very instructive in searching for a suitable replacement. Because, you could assume that Infinity adjusted those response curves to be appropriate and logical to compensate for the speaker's in-box response, right?

In selecting a replacement, the astute would be cognizant of not only the final frequency response of the system with the eq in the loop, but also things like ensuring that the final eq curve does not cause the woofers to exceed their excursion limits at high power settings. If you tried to inappropriately eq the heck out of the very lowest frequencies, you may come up against this sort of limitation. Other considerations might include excessive voice coil heating (causing eventual failure, or at least a loss of damping) or generating a Q value that causes an excessively steep group delay curve at the lowest frequencies (contributing to a lack of coherency in the system). All this stuff is covered really well in the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, by Vance Dickason.

I would bet dollars to donuts that I would end up with a DSP'd system that could implement the crossover between the EMIMs and the woofers (after removing the passive components), and then implement an appropriate eq in the bass region. The assistance of in-room mic readings using some of these units (like a dbx Driverack, for instance) that would then be used to generate selectable eq curves would be of great help. I'm not sure how many units are out there that have this capability now, but the number is getting pretty high. The Behringer DCX 2496 is pretty ubiquitous; I'm not sure if it has the mic capability or not, I'll have to look. I'm sure you could do it with some (or maybe all) of the DEQX units, if cost was no object.

It actually sounds like a pretty interesting project. Anyway, that's where my thought process would start.
G~

The RSIIa/b eq works as follows. The one knob is for volume of the bass from 100htz and below. The other from 1k and below. If your are using two amps (one for the woofers the other for mid and tweets) and one has a volume knob it will help a great deal to increase or decrease the woofers volume. Problem with most eq's is to get a flat response many will not have enough db to eq the bass below 100htz. At least that was the problem I had until I found an original infinity eq.

The RSIIa/b eq works as follows. The one knob is for volume of the bass from 100htz and below. The other from 1k and below. If your are using two amps (one for the woofers the other for mid and tweets) and one has a volume knob it will help a great deal to increase or decrease the woofers volume. Problem with most eq's is to get a flat response many will not have enough db to eq the bass below 100htz. At least that was the problem I had until I found an original infinity eq.
Yeah, that's it, I was remembering there were two frequency ranges, but I couldn't remember what they were. That's definitely higher than I recall. So not such a good match. The Marchand mentioned by Geoff would be the way to go. I still like the idea behind the Schiit Loki for those of us without tone controls but a desire for some gentle tweaks to the sound.

The Marchand mentioned by Geoff would be the way to go.

Well, maybe. I'd start there and see if the eq curves were appropriate. You can never say for sure until you fully investigate the component. I'll say it again, though...I'll bet my final solution, if I had the system, would be DSP.
G~

You could just build an EQ for the RSIIb if you're at all skilled in DIY. It's a pretty simple circuit and the schematic is on Infinityclassics.de. I pretty much did that to my EQ, piece by piece. The only stock part now is the box.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom