Schiit Mani Phono Pre-amp First Impressions

The one negative I have regarding the Mani ( and it also applies to the Modi MB DAC which uses the same case ) are those Schiit-y feet.

They're tiny stick-ons with a poor adhesive and when one came off and was lost I replaced all of them with larger ones that stay put.

Schiit had a waiting list on the Mani a few months back due to problems with the case supplier. They switched to a different supplier and that probably explains why my Mani is a dull gray while the identical case for my Modi is a nicer brushed aluminum.

I've been playing with the Mani for almost a week, mostly listening with ATX-M50X headphones.

I made a mistake in my first impression post. I thought I had the Mani set for 42db of gain when I wrote that review. It was actually erroneously set at 48db gain. That 48db of gain likely accounted for the brightness issue. Sorry about that.

RFI: None. I have a wireless router setup three feet directly above the Mani.

Hum/Hiss: Making a direct comparison with the Marantz PM8004 phono is not easy because the gain of the Marantz falls between the 30db and 42db setting of the Mani. At the 30db of gain I can bury the volume and hear only a low hiss from the Mani. It is much quieter than the Marantz phono. With 30db of gain, the output is lower than the Marantz phono so the volume must be turned up higher to reach equivelent volume levels. With the Mani set at 42db of gain the Marantz is quieter. The volume of the Marantz is lower than the Mani set at 42db.

Marantz doesn't spec the phono gain. I estimate it to be around 38db.

Bottom line, the relative noise floor of the two phono preamps is dependent on gain settings of the Mani. The Marantz is spec'ed at s/n = 87db. Both are very quiet.

Sound: I have about 16 hours of play time on the Mani over the last week. I set the Mani at 30db of gain for about 8 hours and 42db for 8 hours. The cart is a Denon DL-110 on a Pioneer PL-41. I had to adjust volume levels in order to compare with the Marantz phono. Reconnecting The PL-41 between phono preamps was tedious. The Mani is detailed with a balanced voicing. There is no brightness issue. The Mani sounds very much like the Marantz phono. I found the Mani to be no more dynamic or lively than the Marantz phono. My earlier report of livelyness was due to erroneously setting the Mani at 48db of gain. A louder presentation always seems to fool the listener.

I thought the Mani may have put a liitle more air around individual instruments, improving the soundstage. I got that impression only with headphones. Listening to the speakers, I couldn't tell them apart.

Bottom line, the Mani is a very good phono preamp. It is quiet, detailed, with a balance voice and a very easy listen. It might be slightly queiter than the Marantz, which allows the Mani to put more air around the instruments. The Marantz phono s/n = 87db, so the Mani is performing quite well.

There have been reports of the Mani having hum issues as well as RFI issues. I haven't heard any of that in my setup. My wireless router is only three feet above the Mani.

Having two very good phono preamps, Mani and Marantz, is a nice perc. Now I have both my TTs connected at the same time. That alone was worth the $140.

I am going to purchase a Tascam DR-05 digital recorder to record Wav file snippets from both phono preamps. That will make comparing both pre's more interesting.

Peace.

I've been playing with the Mani for almost a week, mostly listening with ATX-M50X headphones.

I made a mistake in my first impression post. I thought I had the Mani set for 42db of gain when I wrote that review. It was actually erroneously set at 48db gain. That 48db of gain likely accounted for the brightness issue. Sorry about that.

RFI: None. I have a wireless router setup three feet directly above the Mani.

Hum/Hiss: Making a direct comparison with the Marantz PM8004 phono is not easy because the gain of the Marantz falls between the 30db and 42db setting of the Mani. At the 30db of gain I can bury the volume and hear only a low hiss from the Mani. It is much quieter than the Marantz phono. With 30db of gain, the output is lower than the Marantz phono so the volume must be turned up higher to reach equivelent volume levels. With the Mani set at 42db of gain the Marantz is quieter. The volume of the Marantz is lower than the Mani set at 42db.

Marantz doesn't spec the phono gain. I estimate it to be around 38db.

Bottom line, the relative noise floor of the two phono preamps is dependent on gain settings of the Mani. The Marantz is spec'ed at s/n = 87db. Both are very quiet.

Sound: I have about 16 hours of play time on the Mani over the last week. I set the Mani at 30db of gain for about 8 hours and 42db for 8 hours. The cart is a Denon DL-110 on a Pioneer PL-41. I had to adjust volume levels in order to compare with the Marantz phono. Reconnecting The PL-41 between phono preamps was tedious. The Mani is detailed with a balanced voicing. There is no brightness issue. The Mani sounds very much like the Marantz phono. I found the Mani to be no more dynamic or lively than the Marantz phono. My earlier report of livelyness was due to erroneously setting the Mani at 48db of gain. A louder presentation always seems to fool the listener.

I thought the Mani may have put a liitle more air around individual instruments, improving the soundstage. I got that impression only with headphones. Listening to the speakers, I couldn't tell them apart.

Bottom line, the Mani is a very good phono preamp. It is quiet, detailed, with a balance voice and a very easy listen. It might be slightly queiter than the Marantz, which allows the Mani to put more air around the instruments. The Marantz phono s/n = 87db, so the Mani is performing quite well.

There have been reports of the Mani having hum issues as well as RFI issues. I haven't heard any of that in my setup. My wireless router is only three feet above the Mani.

Having two very good phono preamps, Mani and Marantz, is a nice perc. Now I have both my TTs connected at the same time. That alone was worth the $140.

I am going to purchase a Tascam DR-05 digital recorder to record Wav file snippets from both phono preamps. That will make comparing both pre's more interesting.

Peace.

Nice post. So with the DL-110 what did you find was the best setting for the Mani?

Nice post. So with the DL-110 what did you find was the best setting for the Mani?

I liked the DL-110 the best with the Mani set at 30db. That is a little less gain than the Marantz phono. The Mani was super quiet which allowed the DL-110 to put a lot of air around each instrument.

I liked the DL-110 the best with the Mani set at 30db. That is a little less gain than the Marantz phono. The Mani was super quiet which allowed the DL-110 to put a lot of air around each instrument.

Seems like very low gain for a cart with only ~2mv of output.

Thanks again for your thoughtful review. I conclude that the Mani is quite recommendable, unless possibly you live next to a radio tower.

:)

I installed a piece of green film inside the Mani in front of the excessively bright LED. This tamed down the brightness and gave a nice kewl look. If you compare the pic at the beginning of this thread with the one below you will see a nice improvement. AudioKarma member, freQ(*)Oddio mailed the film to me (thanks man!).

IMG_0196.JPG

I've been listening to the Mani for quite awhile now. I have to say that the Mani is quite a bargain on a price to performance ratio. It leans slightly to the bright side IMHO, but not excessively. The Mani reveals quite a bit of detail and it's quiet. I haven't tried it with a LOMC yet.

The only negative is the loading options, either 47 or 47K. I read a review where a Denon Zu103 was used with he Mani and the reviewer loved it.
Peace

Even though my modded Jolida JD9 was far more expensive and flexible enough to drive any cart on the planet I preferred the Mani. I ended up selling the complex and somewhat finicky JD9.

When you have a tube system IMO there's no real advantage in a tube phono stage.

img-jd9iib.jpg

Jolida JD9 is what it is... The problem many people have with it is the gain is too high regardless of the setting. Not sure why it was designed that way

Well, I wasn't going to say anything as I haven't tried the Mani, but I have a Bellari Rolls VP129, and while it isn't a true tube preamp, just a tube buffer, it does sound a lot different (and better to my ears) than any purely SS phono stage I have tried going into my all-tube integrated amp. I was NOT a fan of the Emotiva XPS-1. I just don't like it. For MM it was okay, but for MC it was terrible. I much prefer a step-up transformer. The SS phono stages I've tried all bring a brittle quality to my system and the Emotiva for MC sounded grainy. Could be a YMMV thing--maybe it's just my system or my ears.

I'll try the Mani one day . . .

I had a high end tube CDP and while it added some warmth to my SS amps I didn't feel it added anything to my SET amps. I use a passive preamp with my Bottlehead 2a3 mono blocks and use it's matching tube preamp in another system.

Back
Top Bottom