Schiit modi 2 uber

playittwice

Hi all, wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this model of DAC? Im looking to purchase my first DAC, and read good things about Schiit products. Thanks.

Just got mine yesterday and I'm impressed with it so far. I've been streaming Tidal to it from my iphone to an apple tv. Works great.

Cool, still debating that one or a bi-frost. Budget is limited. I will be using it for 2 channel stereo from a apple laptop into vintage Sansui

I've been using my Modi2 for about a month now. I'm impressed. I thought the price was reasonable, it's a USA company, and the quality is very good. If you just want basic USB to analog conversion, the Modi2 would be hard to beat IMO. You can get an original Modi for 79 right now on the Schiit site. If you need the extra flexibilty, your choice of a Modi Uber should be a good one.

Last edited:
I'm using it for 2 channel into a PS Audio pre and B&K ST140 amp. I considered the bifrost, but it's a lot more money. Thought I'd go this route and maybe upgrade to something better in a couple years if I feel the need.

I'm using it for 2 channel into a PS Audio pre and B&K ST140 amp. I considered the bifrost, but it's a lot more money. Thought I'd go this route and maybe upgrade to something better in a couple years if I feel the need.

Do you feel its a lot better than the internal in your puter?

I've been using the regular Modi since summer of 2013 ... it's feeding a pair of Audioengine A2's plus a Yamaha sub woofer.

It was a definite improvement over my PC Dac ... I buy lower "entry level" PC's (Windows 7) ... nothing up scale on the internal sound card.

Would be curios to know how the Modi 2 Uber (linear power supply and wall-wart) sounds in comparison to the original Modi ... :scratch2:

I'm enjoying my Modi on Spotify Premium (320kbps MP3)... when I sample Tidal in comparison ... I can't tell a difference. Assuming that I could with a better quality Dac ... like the Bifrost Uber Analog?

Last edited:
Ive been waiting for the modi 2 optical to finallllllllly be ready. Ill be paying attention to this thread. thanks

I can't say whether it's worth the extra money for the bifrost or not, but for what the modi2 is doing considering what I paid for it, I am happy with the purchase. Not sure I would feel the same if I spent $350 for the bifrost.

I can't say whether it's worth the extra money for the bifrost or not, but for what the modi2 is doing considering what I paid for it, I am happy with the purchase. Not sure I would feel the same if I spent $350 for the bifrost.

My system consists of Macbook Pro, vintage Sansui, K-horns. It actually sounds good now but Im wondering how much better it will get with a Modi2 Uber. Really don't want to spend the extra for a Bi-frost if theres only a subtle difference. Some reviews are referring to it as a 'mini bifrost'. Guess Ill just have to take a chance on it! Hopefully its a 'wow' moment! Thanks to all.

I heard that the Modi 2 Uber was very close to the bifrost in performance. The justification for the extra cost of the Bifrost is that it is upgradable. I have the original Modi on my main system as the decoder for my RaspberryPi music server. Much better then my old TOL Adcom dac. Thinking of replacing with the Modi Uber 2 as an upgrade and building a new music server for the bedroom system with the old Modi.

I just got one. It isn't a radical upgrade in sound from the chip and analog output of my Music Hall CD-25, but it does have nice timing, note decay, and solid bass production. It is very musical, and I found myself happily listening to music instead of analyzing it. My preamp is passive and very transparent, so source component changes are revealing.

If your purpose is to improve on an already good CD player, I think it'll be more or less a lateral move. That's not why I bought it. I bought it so I could easily switch between the output on my Mac and CDP. It does that rather well.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Back
Top Bottom