Schiit modi 2 uber

I'm using it for 2 channel into a PS Audio pre and B&K ST140 amp. I considered the bifrost, but it's a lot more money. Thought I'd go this route and maybe upgrade to something better in a couple years if I feel the need.
Unclebo You are going to be a happy man.Very good synergy between those pieces.I could not be happier with my set up. Sporting many of the same pieces.

Modi / Modi 2 is great. I've only heard it with headphones, but … I have also heard (and own) the Bifrost Multibit with headphones and in my speaker set-up. Both sound really great. The Bifrost MB is a special sounding product IMO as it moves beyond the "congestion" that is typical in lower cost digital audio products. The Bifrost MB separates the many layers of soundstage and drives instrumental "body" in a way that sub $1000 DAC's simply have not been able to do heretofore (at least not any that I have heard). Ive not heard the new AKM based Bifrost ($350?), but at that price (and they say its better than the previous Uber) with the upgradability path I would think that the Bifrost would be worth the extra coin. If you can swing the additional for the Multibit, I think its worth it, but my tastes and priorities may be different than those of others.

I'm quite satisfied with mine.
However,.... last night/this morning it played a prank on me that I've not experienced before. I couldn't get signal to the amp to save my life. Nothing had changed since the last time I used it. I followed the cables, checked everything, changed inputs at the amp, changed USB ports, checked cables again, tried the different inputs (spdif, optical, usb), checked settings in System Preferences; everything was seeming to be ok - still no sound.
Finally, I disconnected the DAC, and waited for a minute, and then plugged it back in. That did it. For some reason, it needed a reboot/restart.
Anyone else ever run into this?

I have been speaking to Nick at Schiit and he told me that for the price, the Modi 2 Uber is just stupid good for the money and that I might not even hear a sonic difference between the Bifrost MB and Modi Uber 2. So I guess I will save my $450 and not think rwice about the Modi 2 Uber. Thank you Schiit!

Okay, so now that I have my choice of a DAC out of the way. What is the best media hub to send my signal to the Modi 2? I stream most everything from my PS3. Netflix, Spotify Premium, Youtube and so on. I am thinking about trying Tidal. So I don't even know where to post this or to look. I know there are better options than using my PS3 to get audio to my dac and system. Can you point me in the right direction?

The modi 1 with just USB has stayed in rotation all year even though literally everything else has changed at least 3 times. I love it. Tons of signal, handles 24/96 really well, big soundstage, lots of resolution, very robust. Sound compared to my PC laptop is day and night.

LOVE my modi. Highly recommended.

I'm considering something I can't find anyone else doing with this modi. I'm thinking about installing one in my car. The Altima stock system(non bose with GPS screen, 2014) has not great sound with the iphone. I upgraded the speakers and added an amp, big improvement. But every so often the iphone signal will seem to skip(judder?) and the imaging is so so.

I'm thinking of bypassing the head unit all together, and plugging my phone into the modi which could be connected via RCA's to my hi to my amp system(hi to low level input which can accept 2 sources and switch between them using volume knob. Then the signal goes to an active crossover network, then to the amp.) Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has tried this. I have a 115v ac plug in my car which I could employ for the modi, and the rest would be details, but I'm wondering if it would be worth the trouble?

I found a device that looks like it's made with this in mind, the HRT iStreamer 12 volt version. http://www.hirestech.com/product/?pid=91
It takes 12 volts, connects digitally to your iphone, and has RCA outs for my audio system. Since I already ordered some 6x9's for the rear deck, I'll have to wait for the next month's budget!

Back
Top Bottom