Schiit Modi Multibit

I have an older Rotel 855 CDP with the 1541A chip which sounds really nice to my ears. I'm wondering if I'd have anything to gain by feeding it's digital signal into my Modi MB?

I would have tried it already but it would be a real pain to rearrange my gear.

This would be something beneficial to know.

I wonder if the many DACs on the market today are really moving the needle in terms of sound performance, as opposed to features and inputs. A good quality 1541A would be a good bench mark for playback of red book CDs.

I've spent some serious time with this DAC now and I've come to the conclusion it's a real game changer. I'm a vinyl guy and will continue to be so.. but for $200 that you get this DAC for.. times that by five for vinyl before you best it. It's going through tube preamp and a tube power amp and I think you need that. You need tubes. But a tube setup and this DAC you are in audiophile heaven. I'd be hard pressed to recommend vinyl against this DAC and a tube setup. Vinyl still has the edge but wow. What this little DAC can accomplish is insane. I think maybe the more expensive ones really give vinyl playback a notice. It's like Tesla ludicrous mode vs a 12 cylinder Ferrari. It's a shame most DACs are not R2R. There's really something about this that's awesome and the cost of entry is really pretty low.

I'd say for people looking at tube DACs don't bother. Tubes are basically awesome and you should have tubes all up in your system. I've got primaluna tube preamp and power amp. But an R2R DAC is special. Definitely get tubes. But definitely get an R2R DAC.

Playing digital through my marantz 6003 or my Asus xonar essence stx through the same tube setup.

What a crock of shit they both are. This DAC has some serious realism none of those can even come close to.

Since this thread is apparently going through some controversy. I've got a rebuilt lenco with a very heavy platte and plinth a,nd a Linn tonearm. With a Denon MC 103r cartridge

Vinyl playback is better. It is.

But what this little $200 DAC can do blows my mind. It really is this good.

But also get tubes.

You need tubes

You just really need tubes

That is all.

Except get tubes

Last edited:
Two days later and "Nick T." has emailed me back after my second attempt at communication and told me to read the FAQ (something that I explicitly stated that I had already done in my first message), make sure there are no other drivers installed, and make sure that I'm using a USB 2.0 cable... There was no apology or explanation of why my first attempt at contacting the company was ignored and the emails I've gotten from their tech support have been 2 sentences or less.

I really can't believe that this is what you get when you buy a $260 piece of audio equipment from a small company. I just want a unit that works and now I am close to returning the thing out of spite for the surprisingly terrible service.

Maybe they are giving me a run around because I bought their "budget" unit? For me $250 is a lot of money. How much do I have to spend to be taken seriously?
It is customer service like this that puts me off buying anything from schiit(y).
Reading this thread actually got me thinking about spring for one but not now or ever.

It is customer service like this that puts me off buying anything from schiit(y).
Reading this thread actually got me thinking about spring for one but not now or ever.

Yeah, I really don't understand what happened with my experience. It seems like the majority of the feedback on this site has been lots of praise for Schiit. That's why the way they handled my issue baffled me so much. It did definitely leave a bad taste in my mouth though. I definitely won't ever be buying anything from them again. Whether other people should go by my isolated incident, I don't know. I've never heard of them doing anything like that before. Maybe it truly was a fluke.

Maybe they were short handed that day, having growing pains or whatever. I think however knowing what I have with my Mody MB that people who don't give them a try because of a bad experience from someone else is selling the company short. Bad experiences always tends to be reported, just like bad news does on the TV. Good news wont be shared nearly as often.

New to digital. Forgive me if this has been discussed. I've got the Mimby. Streaming tidal via Chromecast, I think it sounds pretty good. I want to try streaming the Tidal Masters, mqa files. It's a bummer that there is no "cast" option in the Tidal app. If I wire up a computer through usb, what happens? I know the multibit cannot decode mqa. So tidal does the initial "unpacking" (I think, haven't tried it), but what sample rate does the Mimby see? Anybody a/b against an mqa ready dac? Thanks!

I tried to find an official confirmation Tidal uses WASAPI for audio device access but couldn't however it seems as it does. Here's some info:

https://inspiringheadphones.com/are-you-getting-the-best-out-of-tidal-hifi

With Wasapi Tidal should be able to pick a sampling rate automatically based on the master format, however Mimby being a 192kHz/16bit DAC will call for resampling and/or bit depth conversion on higher res material, who knows how Tidal determines the resulting format during MQA->PCM conversion when the DAC can't handle the master format, perhaps ask Tidal support?

Edit: Mimby can take 24 bits if memory serves, but internally it's a 16 bit DAC so some resolution will be lost on 24 bit recordings, bit depth conversion will likely happen in Schiit DSP.

You quote a comment from a year ago? Then after being called on it, you get indignant. It's obvious that some people do nothing but troll on Schiit threads. I guess everyone needs a hobby!

Back
Top Bottom