Schiit Modi Multibit

There are several good threads on headfi.org, that might help you get the difference.
And one thing I have to add, I have done some A/Bing with different DAC's I have had for comparison with friends and family. I always like getting other opinions, because sometime you get too caught up in your listening.
Anyway the DAC Box S FL was preferred over the Schiit MB's 87% of the time. When comparing the FL to a Maverick upgraded Tube DAC, the Fl was running about 84% for. All levels matched of course.
Have yet to compare it to the Musette and DAC3. Not scientific, or a controlled study by any means, but interesting non the less to me. A total of 42 friends and family.

My obsession with filterless NOS for redbook is starting to wind down a little . Considering one can feed a clean signal with low jitter it does sound nice and pleasant with great low end and mids which is the kind of sound that you can just sit back and relax to, but you never experience that hair-raising sensation that an oversampling DAC can deliver. Modi Multibit, however, was giving too much of the latter at the expense of musicality and flow which I couldn't take. I recently got hold of a Parasound D/AC 1000 vintage DAC and it seems to strike the balance between NOS and the Modi OS type of sound just perfectly, very detailed and clean without being intrusive and harsh, definitely a keeper. On the desktop I'm currently using a Metrum Musette fed with 4x oversampled signal from JRiver which sounds very good. If you're using your DAC Box FL with a computer player that has a good resampler, i.e. JRiver or Foobar or better yet HQPlayer, try to resample to 88.2 or 96kHz/16bit, you may find it brings improvements in the treble while keeping the overall sound signature that you like so much more or less unchanged.

Interesting .. perhaps in the future ...
Nice thing about the great Heils is they really extract a lot of information and put air and space few other Tweeters can.
It’s a really good match.
I agree about the Modi MB, Bifrost and Yaggdrasel as well.
Doesn’t make them bad DAC’s just something I’m not looking for
As mentioned they have a house sound that you either like you don’t like.

I agree about the Modi MB, Bifrost and Yaggdrasel as well.
Doesn’t make them bad DAC’s just something I’m not looking for
As mentioned they have a house sound that you either like you don’t like.

I am still curious about Schiit higher-end offerings. One of these days when I feel like wasting $150 or so I may get an Yggy for a couple of weeks to audition in my system and then return it. Maybe it will be an eye opener and I'll end up keeping it/sell my other gear, you just never know.

I am still curious about Schiit higher-end offerings. One of these days when I feel like wasting $150 or so I may get an Yggy for a couple of weeks to audition in my system and then return it. Maybe it will be an eye opener and I'll end up keeping it/sell my other gear, you just never know.
Sure... it may be the ticket for you you never know...
Maybe if you ran it through a tube buffer...hard to say...
I know my upgraded Maverick DAC has very much of the same flow and signature... Plus you can run multiple inputs through it, XM, radio, tv etc.
The Schiits for me just seem like it was too much information, presented in a way that was fatiguing to process over and extended period of time.
For short periods they can be pretty awesome.
Frankly I just don’t have that much time to mess around, if I want to listen to music I want to enjoy it and not fiddle-faddle.

I run my Yggy with an all tubed system and don’t find it particularly forward. Once I got my levels matched between the digital output and phono output, the two shared a lot of similarities when A/B’ing the same album.

The highs are a touch brighter with the DAC, but I could pretty easily chalk that up to my stylus being a little long in the tooth.

I run my Yggy with an all tubed system and don’t find it particularly forward. Once I got my levels matched between the digital output and phono output, the two shared a lot of similarities when A/B’ing the same album.

The highs are a touch brighter with the DAC, but I could pretty easily chalk that up to my stylus being a little long in the tooth.
Sure.
I did find the Modi and Bifrost “bright” as well, maybe clinical is a better word in the highs.
As you move up the Schiit chain, the images start to move back. All are rock solid for sure. Nothing wrong with that, it is what it is. Much depends on the speakers you’re using if this tendency is compatible.
I ran across this extremely low cost tube buffer that has excellent specs... ultra quiet, ultra wide frequency response... I wish I would’ve had at the time to see if that would’ve helped... Believe it or not it runs $30.
I can hardly believe it myself but it’s been a fun tool to play around with.

Basically this buffer is a tube preamp, no headphone output. Just 1 input and output with a high-quality volume control.
The quality of this unit continues to blow my mind, even with the stock tubes.

I wouldn’t characterize the DAC Box S FL, for example, as analog per se.
But musical and flowing.
At least in my experience with LPs, not all are created equal... and certainly not turntables. Many turntables lack drive and flow together, and certainly a lot of them are pretty thin in the bass drive department.
I guess if I was going to try to compare it to analog it’s closer to a reel to reel tape deck, then a LP.

I own a Modi MultiBit. I have to say it sounds great. My impression is that presents a very detailed analog sound. I don’t completely understand multibit technology. Even after reading an detailed explanation of multibit vs delta sigma I don’t completly understand the difference. Whatever. Since the Modi Multibit I seldom listen to vinyl.
Hey Jim, you are one of many happy Modi owners. When I tried the Modi Uber I was almost shocked at how good the sonic were at that price. So good in fact, that I promptly returned it for the Bifrost Multibit.

Schiit really does know what they are doing and their amazing home grown success has given birth to many fans, and haters too as any Schiit thread will attest. Don’t let the armchair quarterbacks tell you that what you are hearing with your own ears isn’t real or as good as some retail brand they continually push.

Schiit is for real, and their great success has changed the marketplace.

I
Hey Jim, you are one of many happy Modi owners. When I tried the Modi Uber I was almost shocked at how good the sonic were at that price. So good in fact, that I promptly returned it for the Bifrost Multibit.

Schiit really does know what they are doing and their amazing home grown success has given birth to many fans, and haters too as any Schiit thread will attest. Don’t let the armchair quarterbacks tell you that what you are hearing with your own ears isn’t real or as good as some retail brand they continually push.

I'm not sure there are any Schiit "haters" here?! Just people "telling what they (you) are hearing".
That's the beauty of this forum. And you can get a good idea of what you have, what you like, and/or what you might be looking for. And for the most point try to avoid the marketing hype/pushers etc. A exchange of thoughts ideas, and experiences.
And certainly avoiding those trying to create controversy, where there is none.

Last edited:

The Schiit multibits are hugely popular with audio enthusiasts and the industry for good reason. I'd like to see them pursue a design similar to Nuprime and PSaudio by melding the DAC with a good preamp. Perhaps with variable gain settings.

The Schiit multibits are hugely popular with audio enthusiasts and the industry for good reason. I'd like to see them pursue a design similar to Nuprime and PSaudio by melding the DAC with a good preamp. Perhaps with variable gain settings.

That’s a great idea! I’d like to see a few extra features on this pre as well, like a 12 volt trigger and some sort of bass management.

I

I'm not sure there are any Schiit "haters" here?! Just people "telling what they (you) are hearing".
That's the beauty of this forum. And you can get a good idea of what you have, what you like, and/or what you might be looking for. And for the most point try to avoid the marketing hype/pushers etc. A exchange of thoughts ideas, and experiences.
And certainly avoiding those trying to create controversy, where there is none.

Well, there’s you. On this single page alone, you’ve made 10 posts which is probably half the content of this page. And in those posts you’ve gone to great lengths to describe how you just don’t like the Schiit DACs as much as whatever else you’re comparing it to.

In thread after Schiit thread, you’ve posted your less than favourable results with Schiit DACs again and again. That is, you keep repeating yourself tirelessly and if anyone claims they got better results than you, then you chalk it up to their ears, or their system skewing their results.

You’ve been doing this for over a year and The evidence is clear that you have some sort of obsession with Schiit. And that is fine, if you want to be on some sort of crusade, everybody needs a hobby. But don’t think for a moment that your obsessive behaviour isn’t noticeable.

Now make a long winded post defending yourself as a crusader would do.

DAC box FSL does not have USB connect though, corrrect? I'm afraid that rules it out for me

Get these 2, the DAC is very similar to the DAC Box F SL + async USB to SPDIF converter for 1/3-1/2 the price of the DAC box S FL alone:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMSL-X-USB...hash=item520399cb73:m:m87NLAR2q8g4cSNCHGmkfUg
https://www.amazon.com/Tda1543x4-DIR9001-TDA1543-Parallel-Connect/dp/B0095NSFJQ

Or, if you must have the DAC box S FL, just get the USB->SPDIF device.

Or, better yet, get the Starting Point Systems DAC3 from the French guy on eBay (seller leopardo42), if you don't get into bidding wars you can get one for about $100 + S&H, it has onboard USB + reclocker, battery-buffered power, only single TDA1543 though. It is good as far as NOS sound goes. Has issues with Linux/Android/Mac over USB, so not advisable for those platforms until the new firmware is released.

Last edited:
Get these 2, the DAC is very similar to the DAC Box F SL + async USB to SPDIF converter for 1/3-1/2 the price of the DAC box S FL alone:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMSL-X-USB...hash=item520399cb73:m:m87NLAR2q8g4cSNCHGmkfUg
https://www.amazon.com/Tda1543x4-DIR9001-TDA1543-Parallel-Connect/dp/B0095NSFJQ

Or, if you must have the DAC box S FL, just get the USB->SPDIF device.

Or, better yet, get the Starting Point Systems DAC3 from the French guy on eBay (seller leopardo42), if you don't get into bidding wars you can get one for about $100 + S&H, it has onboard USB + reclocker, battery-buffered power, only single TDA1543 though. It is good as far as NOS sound goes. Has issues with Linux/Android/Mac over USB, so not advisable for those platforms until the new firmware is released.
Sure.
Have not tried the muse.
Your right the Starting Point is very similar... but not as refined particularly if you let the FL warm-up for several hours.
I have the DAC3 , very good sounding.
The one thing I don’t like is it has an annoying tendency to turn itself off with static electricity.
And sometimes it takes a little maneuvering to get it turned on again.
Also on some laptops it seems the zap the USB resources.

I agree the DAC3 is finicky, but let's get back on topic to which I have absolutely nothing new to add...

Last edited:
Me either!
Although it’s good information to know there are options from different manufacturers for Rtr..
And I have to say I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to play around with a lot of different ones and settle on the ones that fit.

Well, there’s you. On this single page alone, you’ve made 10 posts which is probably half the content of this page. And in those posts you’ve gone to great lengths to describe how you just don’t like the Schiit DACs as much as whatever else you’re comparing it to.

In thread after Schiit thread, you’ve posted your less than favourable results with Schiit DACs again and again. That is, you keep repeating yourself tirelessly and if anyone claims they got better results than you, then you chalk it up to their ears, or their system skewing their results.

You’ve been doing this for over a year and The evidence is clear that you have some sort of obsession with Schiit. And that is fine, if you want to be on some sort of crusade, everybody needs a hobby. But don’t think for a moment that your obsessive behaviour isn’t noticeable.

Now make a long winded post defending yourself as a crusader would do.
Ok, well I'm sorry you don't like, or agree with my observations. That's your issue. System compatibility is important. As well as what type of sound your looking for. Sorry you disagree. Unlike you saying something was wrong with my ears, or system earlier, and adding nothing constructive.
And as I mentioned, those that what to make a controversy out of nothing, with those that simply don't agree with them, with nothing constructive to add, except trashing, and labeling. And that's clearly what you want to do. Look at the almost obsessive way you were responding the last time. "STOP AUTOMOJO", and other weird stuff. "Don't think for a moment my behavior isn't noticeable" Really?
Good luck with that! I have no more need to answer to your psychopathic baiting, "your crusade". Might want to try looking in the mirror before labeling someone else obsessive....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom