Schiit Modi Multibit

As I said in my last post, I tried installing the driver from Schiit, but the installer can't tell that the device is plugged in and outputs a dialog box telling me to do so. After hitting ok a few times, it gives up on the installation.

MAZO0rE.png

So I tried using the alternate driver and no cigar:
gE3oINu.png

I also tried another computer, this time running Windows 10, using the appropriate driver. Got the same issue.

Contacting support now.

Last edited:
One of my DAC's uses the C-Media chip. I downloaded and installed the driver first and then plugged the DAC in. Installing the driver first is the preferred way to install USB devices.

Not in this case, apparently, because the installer tells you to plug it in.

Not being judgmental, only curious. However, unless you play your system maxed out I doubt if you'll hear much difference.

Oh I know. I didn't take it that way. I was actually asking a serious question. I was told that the simplest and best way to get the most out of the dac and amp was to go without a pre-amp. So I was just confirming if that is correct?

Well so much for having any resolve to saving my coin for this DAC.. :( I was here on AK and the Schitt site late last night (my most vulnerable time for the impulse buy) and caved in and placed my order. Hopefully it will be worth it over my regular Modi. Will report my findings after the burn in! :biggrin:

Edit: Those people at Schitt are damn fast! I ordered it late last night and this morning I got an email saying it has already been shipped! :banana:

Last edited:
Well so much for having any resolve to saving my coin for this DAC.. :( I was here on AK and the Schitt site late last night (my most vulnerable time for the impulse buy) and caved in and placed my order. Hopefully it will be worth it over my regular Modi. Will report my findings after the burn in! :biggrin:

Edit: Those people at Schitt are damn fast! I ordered it late last night and this morning I got an email saying it has already been shipped! :banana:

Pretty sure you will be happy with it. I have a Bifrost MB and it is very good. There is a "rightness" to the sound that surpasses the price point IMO. Its flaws seem to be ones of very minor omissions (better than additive artifact - I think) and it always sounds musical and enjoyable to me. I'm considering going up the line (Gungnir MB or Yiggy) soon as I am really curious as to exactly what the better units do that is "better". I have compared my Bifrost MB to some higher end units (not Schiit units) and the differences were minor and dependent upon music type. Overall I liked the Bifrost MB a bit better as it did nothing badly.

Well thank you VERY much Alobar! I will let you be the test subject. I too have the Modi 2 Uber and really want to know if it is worth the upgrade.

I don't listen to a ton of digital music, but I've been gazing longingly at Bifrost for some time. Now along comes the Modi Multibit. I'm wondering, in the under-$400 market, is a standard Bifrost still a better choice than Mimby? I know upgradabilty counts for something--as does personal preference--but I'd be interested in any impressions y'all have. Many thanks, AKr's.

Edit: Great thread, btw.

Last edited:
I've run into the same problem with various device. In every instance it was caused by the USB device being plugged in before the drivers were installed. IME once Windows has a problem with installing a USB device you have to take "drastic" measures to fix it.

The last time I saw this sort of problem I had to do a system restore to a date prior to plugging in the device. After that, installing the drivers first and plugging in the device when asked solved the problem.

Believe me, that's not the problem in this case. The driver installer requires that the device be plugged into in order to begin the installation of the drivers. It cannot install without the device first being plugged in, hence my problem.

The "great customer service" still hasn't gotten back to me about the issue after two full business days... I might try emailing them directly instead of using the online form.

Ouch :( ... in my case Schiit got back to me (used the contact button on their website) in the same business day. If I had all the problems you are having ... I'd be tempted to just send it back.

Believe me, that's not the problem in this case. The driver installer requires that the device be plugged into in order to begin the installation of the drivers. It cannot install without the device first being plugged in, hence my problem.

The "great customer service" still hasn't gotten back to me about the issue after two full business days... I might try emailing them directly instead of using the online form.[/QUOTE

I was having the same problem on my laptop with windows 10. I then noticed that schiit was already listed in my devices setting, even without the driver download process being completed. I set my pc audio playback and foobar playback to schiit usb and it works. Listening to 96/24 Allman Brothers as I type.

Last edited:
Two days later and "Nick T." has emailed me back after my second attempt at communication and told me to read the FAQ (something that I explicitly stated that I had already done in my first message), make sure there are no other drivers installed, and make sure that I'm using a USB 2.0 cable... There was no apology or explanation of why my first attempt at contacting the company was ignored and the emails I've gotten from their tech support have been 2 sentences or less.

I really can't believe that this is what you get when you buy a $260 piece of audio equipment from a small company. I just want a unit that works and now I am close to returning the thing out of spite for the surprisingly terrible service.

Maybe they are giving me a run around because I bought their "budget" unit? For me $250 is a lot of money. How much do I have to spend to be taken seriously?

I feel for you. I realize how frustrating this can be. I wonder if you maybe got a defective one. You'd like to think at some point you could reach someone that can help or least appear to care about your issue. I'll be watching to see how this plays out. There are many Schiit owners here. You're the first (I'm aware of) to have these kinds of issues.
Sometimes you get soured by your initial experience and even if you resolve you issue you may end up having a hard on for the product or the company (completely understandable, its human nature).
Please let us know what happens. I hope in any event you get to where you want to be.

Contrary to observations from end-users I found the Modi Multibit to benefit from an extended burn in. While I haven't documented the exact hours since it's arrival August 1st it's really opened up the past couple of days. While the Modi 2 Uber was more of a lateral move for me the Multibit is a noticeable step forward in resolution. Very revealing in micro-detail.

Silverline Sonatina [Avalon]>Moth Audio s45 SET custom>Samsung Avant>Chromecast Audio>Schiit Modi Multibit>Shunyata Hydra.

Two days later and "Nick T." has emailed me back after my second attempt at communication and told me to read the FAQ (something that I explicitly stated that I had already done in my first message), make sure there are no other drivers installed, and make sure that I'm using a USB 2.0 cable... There was no apology or explanation of why my first attempt at contacting the company was ignored and the emails I've gotten from their tech support have been 2 sentences or less.

I really can't believe that this is what you get when you buy a $260 piece of audio equipment from a small company. I just want a unit that works and now I am close to returning the thing out of spite for the surprisingly terrible service.

Maybe they are giving me a run around because I bought their "budget" unit? For me $250 is a lot of money. How much do I have to spend to be taken seriously?
Hmmm. I bought a Bifrost 4490 earlier this year, got it, plugged it and it didn't work (would switch on its own from usb in to coax every two minutes or so) and Nick told be to try another power cord and power strip. :) I'd already done that and replied same. This was about 10 pm or so.

Next morning I got a rma and shipping label, I returned it and got a brand new one right away. New one worked just fine.

Between here and the office I probably have about 20 usb cables from various manufacturers. Some don't work very well and others do. I would for sure try an different cable like a Belkin from Amazon. But, I'm using an AQ Forrest cable from the NAS to Wyrd and same cable to DAC. These will pass a DSF file while others will not.

PM me your address and I'll send you a Belkin cable. Tell me how long it needs to be as I have short ones and long ones - like 10'.

Murray

Yeah, I've found Nick T to be very responsive, if not particularly wordy. It's a great DAC by almost all accounts, and their CS gets raves. I totally appreciate your frustration, dave1710, but I don't think your experience is the norm. I say give Schiit another shot. It's cold comfort, but you can't really appreciate gear that works until you've bought gear that doesn't. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom