Schiit Modi Multibit

Automojo, do let us know how you like the multibit when you have a chance. I had the original Modi for a few years and when I heard about the Modi multibit this past summer I decided to spring for one. Great upgrade! I am now pushing music files from my pc to a networked Raspberry Pi which is running the Modi multibit. Quiet usb was the goal and it is working out great as the Raspberry has no moving parts, fans or wireless gadgets. I am using the original Modi on the pc for everything other than listening to music such as video etc. It still sounds good but the multibit really shines.

I keep reading this thread and you guys have just about convinced me to get one. My first DAC was a Aune T-1 with a EH6922 tube. Its worked fine but its going on 3 years old. Enjoying everyone's posts!

Four month update: Really couldn't be more pleased with the performance and bang for buck value the Schiit Modi Multibit provides IMS. Since the acquisition of the Multibit I've made a number of system upgrades; PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, JJ 2A3 power tubes, Sys. Concepts digital cable and iFi S/PDIF iPurifier reclocker/jitter filter.

The iFi was only received yesterday. Until it stabilizes the full benefit won't be realized but straight out of the box I was making unexpected discoveries from familiar source [pleasant discoveries]. For my 9k system it was easy to appreciate the $800 purchase [total cost of all 5 upgrades]. At this very early stage I'm unable to measure the value of the iFi but thus far IMS it's not a component I would suggest is critical to the enjoyment of the Multibit.

The iFi reduces the noise floor even further, something that wasn't lacking in my system previously. While sibilance wasn't minimized to the level I was hoping it was reduced. Overall there was a greater cohesiveness to the presentation that made you rely less on the suspension of disbelief to lose yourself into the music. The supplied PS was originally plugged into the Hydra PLC but is now feeding the PS Audio PLC which daisy-chains into the Hydra, same goes for the Multibit PS. The only other component in the chain [tube amp] is plugged straight into the Michael Brinkman Acme Audio 15amp silver-plated 'Cryo-treated' duplex [along with the Hydra].

I previously mentioned I would be upgrading to the Schiit Gungnir Multibit dac. I'm so pleased with the Modi Multibit [in addition to the other changes made] I have reconsidered and instead will purse upgrading the Chromecast Audio instead as that's my weak link.

upload_2016-12-10_5-27-16.png

Here's a photo of the iFi S/PDIF iPurifier [Bifrost DAC]. The Multibit is configured in a similar way; coaxial in / toslink out.

BN50rRW.png

Last edited:
Ok
Well mine took about 20 hours break in to really start sounding good, the newest version of the regular modi 2 took about 10.
The bass was apparent out of the box. It sounding more detailed and "even" sounding then the regular Modi 2, (IMHO this account for much of the detail, very delicate and even), but the bass just wasn't there yet.
This was particularly true of the USB input, which IMHO sounded not so good out of the box, extremely thin sounding, and I stuck with my Music Streamer III (using a JitterBug and Forest Cable) for the time being.
Now the bass, deep bass has emerged. It's tight like the modi 2, (both much better then my earlier version modi2 with the older chip), but more layered and detailed, and the big part... less fatiguing.
So in summary the multi bit really evens the bandwidth from top to bottom, allowing the detail to come through, with out emphasis or fatigue, but is not soft sounding, and definitely not bright. I have not heard any sibilance through the mutibit, but have so with the regular modi at times, but is really program material dependent. The Great Heil will point sibilance out in a heart beat, so maybe their a system/cable /source issue.
Depending on your budget, and system resolution, either is a excellent buy IMHO. I would go with the mutibit if possible, and it's easily worth the $100 cash.
Still less then a Cambridge, or any other 3 input DAC.
But I would not sweat going with the regular Modi2 if it fits your budget, and system, lower resolution etc.
I still like my HRT Music Streamer III, as it's a fun, and fast sounding DAC. Great bass, not as detailed as the mutibit, but with some program material it sounds more lively and fun, but can be fatiguing at times. The nice thing about the HRT is it's USB powered, one less cord and wall wart to contend with. And will work better with older computers, those XP, or something below Windows 7.
IMHO DAC's are like cartridges. For me, many times I prefer the livelier sounding carts, like the orange Audio Technica, but appreciate the smoothness and detail of my DL160, so maybe it's good to have a couple to swap in, depending on your mood, and/or program material.
At these prices, and can have a couple nice sounding Dac's for the less then the price of one super highend DAC, and have a lot more flexibility and fun, instead of putting all you eggs in one high $$ DAC.
Personally, I would not spend a pile of money on cables with either of these, I would stick with a good shielded and flexible USB cable, and shy away from designer cables that might possibly alter the sound. Blue Jeans is always a excellent choice for the money IMHO, and are in my experience "neutral" sounding, so you don't have so many different things to deal with. Enjoy the sound and simplicity. The Forest cable is neutral sounding as well. It was a freebe with the HRT Music Streamer III, and Jitter Bug.
As a side note, one of the biggest improvements I found using any of these external DAC's, especially with a computer, is using a couple of Audio Prism Quiet Line filters in your listening room. It makes a huge difference. If you have a chance, borrow a Audio Prism AC Line Noise Sniffer if your skeptical. Plug it in, turn it up , and start pugging in the Quiet Line filters and hear all the noise in your AC lines go away. I completely eliminated issues with the wireless DSL, digital TV tuner, and minor PC issues (like needing to disconnect and reconnect the DAC on my older Windows Xp "music" PC, I finally retired this year) not to mention better sound.
Also Ferrite chokes on your power cables cleans up noise feeding back as well. Avoid using them on amplifiers or any current hungry devices.
The Noise Sniffer is a amazing diagnostic tool. Hearing is believing!!

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to mention is the wider and deeper soundstage over the regular Modi 2. And those "edges" are clearer and better defined with less blur.
I think the lack of emphasis in any particular frequency spectrum is the reason you can here the details.
I wouldn't call it clinical sounding but true to the source... rhythm and timing all that good stuff are near perfect
Spin a copy of Jeepster and its easy to hear the excellent rythem, pace and layers of detail. Pretty awesome IMHO for the $$
I agree with the earlier post if you want something "warm" sounding you're better off going another route then a DAC. Missing details layers and rythem, you'll be disappointed after a while with a "warm" sounding designer sound DAC. IMHO just like Tube buffer.
Fun for awhile, but tou soon realize you're missing details for design and "color".
One thing I did notice was a occasional hiccup with the USB input, kind of like a drop out or slight distortion
Possible its the computer but I don't hear that with the HRT Music Streamer III.
I'll keep an eye on it to see if it worsens
No issues with the coaxial input, I have not used the optical.
I read early on what some of the earlier units and windows XP/7 there were some issues with the USB input.
Again i'm not too worried about it it does have a two year warranty

Last edited:
Hopefully this is helpful for those looking at purchasing the multibit
I really don't think you'll be disappointed especially for the price, as I don't think you're going to find this level of performance for under $500
Let's face it, aside from system matching people are looking for all sorts of things for a DAC to do, or not do, or something in between.
It's not going to make a low end system sound high-end.
I think if you have a 10 year or older DAC, and a upperendmud system, to high end system, and looking for better resolution and detail I don't think you'll be disappointed IMHO

One week update: And on the 7th day with the iFi S/PDIF iPurifier I heard more information from familiar sources. Not only but it seemed to change the way the music was presented. There was a greater flow to the presentation rather than isolated individual images. Was this due to the [already] lower noise floor and the decay that weaved a continuous fabric. End users report it takes a full three weeks to realize it's full potential. Can't wait.

Last edited:
@MikE - so much money wasted on equipment, only to have the signal crapped out by WiFi and Chromecast...
I hope you are at least streaming 802.11 ac in the 5GHz band.

Last edited:
Well I just ordered both the USB 2 purifier and S/PDIF purifier.... I had an old discount coupon so both of them ran me 189 with shipping Plus I still get the 60 day return policy
At the very least it will be fun to play with for 60 days... and if I don't like them I only have the return shipping costs
Both seem to have very good reviews so it should be interesting
My modded AMT 3's are very revealing so I'm thinking I should be able to benefit from these units from what I've read so far.
With H/K pre-amplification and amplification it's a very trans parent yet dynamic system ... lots of work in the speakers but the total cost of my equipment versus is performance is less than some people play for a single high-end CD player nothing remotely close to $9000 more like 2K if that... and that includes the amplifier being gone through completely and all the solder joints checked out and redone power transistors repotted and bias and idle current set.
It's all about matching ( particularly the amp speaker matching ) but in my opinion the speakers still make the biggest difference on your ability to hear the subtle differences either positive or negative in some of these changes. Some speakers are going to simply wash over the changes.

Last edited:
When I first got the new Modi MB I started noticing a slight buzzing sound on quiet passages. This could have been there all along or been the result of a different driver from the original Modi. I could tell it was from noisy USB as it corresponded with the processor light flickering on the PC. I ended up at first ordering the Schiit Wyrd, which is a filter as well as essentially its own USB and independant power supply. This worked pretty well at eliminating the USB noise on my PC. I also had other PC related issues however, such as some weird stutter where the sound was cutting out continuously and very fast, and then sometimes it would play slightly fast. A reboot was required to remedy both these issues.

Recently I got the new JRiver on a Raspberry Pi3 and the Modi MB has never sounded better running off from it. None of the issues that were present when it was on the windows machine even though I am still using the windows PC to push files to the Raspberry the data comes to it via the Ethernet cable and gets loaded into the RPi's ram. I'm pretty sold on this setup as being a much quieter and cleaner source for the Modi.

As mentioned I also noticed some issues with the USB input of the Modi multibit
Not sure why, because the music streamer III has never had any of those issues of dropouts... with windows XP it occasionally required a reboot but it was more the computer it was a cranky old piece... and never worked well with the Modi Uber 2 or Multibit Uber
I currently run it on the new Black Friday Dell Laptop I picked up for $100- Dell informed me it was a mistake but honored the purchase I had to pay sales tax but shipping was free
Windows 10 it's a entry level unit at some point I'll put a solid-state drive in it to speed it up but it's a joy to use after dealing with the old XP machine
It will also serve as a third back up for my business if I ever need it
I did notice in improvement in sound over the old machine .. less glare and a fuller more balanced sound.
And no rebooting so that's a good thing
It may simply be it's got a better USB output that hasn't been well used over the years in the mobile situation
Anyhow it's fun so far to play with some of this new fairly inexpensive equipment ... never thought I'd be a digital streamer, but there's so much stuff on the Internet, Amazon iHeartRadio that makes it worthwhile
You don't always have to buy the CD, i've have so many now that's probably a good thing !!
When you want to listen to an old song or something new that's not in your collection you've got a opportunity to boot it right up... and listen to it in a high-quality atmosphere

Last edited:
They ran new underwater fiber optic cable here recently and are going to up our dismal ISP speeds so I will finally be able to stream tidal or even just Prime. Still I will just use it for auditioning music. Even if it is just data on a hard drive, I still like collecting music!

sure
Once a music collector always a music collector
I buy some stuff off Amazon download but generally if I really like it I just buy the CD and they give you an auto rip so you have both
But many times I'll just buy the CD for three or four dollars used
The nice thing about the Amazon music player is it also adds automatically add cd you play on the computer which is pretty cool
I'm always a little bit skeptical about digital downloads I got burned by Walmart years ago but they ended up writing me a check for all the stuff I bought... I had some hard drive issues and wasn't able to burn all the music on Cds
It's funny I didn't realize I bought so much music off them
I also got burned by another download service I can't recall that went defunct and lost all the rights to the music and never got a refund
I burn those all to CDs but you had to use their player.

I mostly buy CD's from Amazon as well. The only downloads I do are 96/24 FLAC files from HDtracks. I was given a sizable stash of vinyl and have slowly been going through and ripping those to lossless FLAC. The end result sound is quite good but it is a slow process!

Soon to have a Mimby and I'll certainly feed it Chrome Cast Audio.

There's no compression with CCA's transmission and SQ is only limited by the quality of one's other components.

IMG_0977.JPG Here a picture of the Modi 2 Multibit with the 2 IFI purifiers hooked up
I'll give them the obligatory breakin period and report my findings.
One thing for sure depending on how you have your unit situated the cords now have a real tendency to pull down so I supported them with two thick pieces of felt
The Modi is fairly lightweight so I have it sitting on thin vibration absorbing anti skid mat.

Liking it so far
USB really works well...surprising how much noise you hear, and don't realize it till it's gone, and the detail really comes through
Surprising how a MP3 can sound pretty darn awesome!
S/PDIF as mentioned further enable you to hear the layers and seriously removes all traces of digital shinyness, something many times you don't realize is there again till it's removed
The biggest part, in my opinion is when this shininess is removed, you can really hear much more details, layers and dynamics..a unveiling.
Not as dramatic like the Great Heil, for example, but startling nonetheless.
The USB unit does an excellent job of removing a lot of the shininess as well.
Hard to believe these little units pack a pretty big punch.
I've also read in some blogs that basically these units "null" the effect of any sort of designer cables.
So, if with the designer say is true the basically it's presenting perfect information to your DAC, all these designer cables are doing are information and different types of ways.
When you look at it that way you can save a pile of money, and stick with good basic shielded designs with good connectors
Speaking of, the S/PDIF unit, IMHO could use a better female connector.
It's the output the plugs directly into you DAC.
It's a it loose... no huge cause for concern but doesn't come close to the quality of the Blue Jeans coaxial connectors. Maybe something IFI could improve in the future.
Also the power cable connector is in a weird place. In the Modi, The inputs are placed fairly close together as you can see with the picture I have to tilt it slightly upwards. No biggie just nitpicky things.
I'm liking them so far-both keepers!!
Well worth their fairly modest price!!

Last edited:
I just got new Modi MB installed. First standalone dac, so comparing to CD's. First impression, listening to Radio Swiss Jazz, sounds very nice. Better than my expectations. Feeding through Pioneer SA7500ii to Boston A100's. Will need to try more sources before saying if it can equal cd quality.
BTY, that old Pioneers five available inputs are all being used now. Very versatile for '70's gear, still adapts for todays needs.

@MikE
I hope you are streaming 802.11 ac in the 5GHz band.

Yes. The transition from a transport / jitter filter / dac to computer-based playback was a recent development this year, so I'm learning as I go along.

The next mod I'm eye-ballin' is replacing the LCR electrolytic PS capacitor in the amp with Mundorf polypropylene film capacitors. This will transform the level of playback regardless of what else I do. That said, the Chromecast is the weakest link and that is where I'll make my next significant [hopefully] upgrade.

Based on the research I've done the pieces I'm considering are the Sonore microRendu to replace the CCA along with the SGC sonictransporter i5 [w/optional SSD drive] + Roon.

As much as I like to tweak I also like to keep my playback chain relatively simple and direct. That's why the streamer route appeals to me. System was great with the old front end. The changes I've made this year were not the type I had to convince myself into believing - not system transforming but easily noted. Looking forward to see where it can go from here but no rush, the process is half the fun.

I am using my CCA for the living room just because of ease of connection, it is great at that. But I don't try to push 96kHz SR trough it's optical out, just FLAC's from CD.
Maybe a jitter reducer would help, but then, I am using a $35 ($25 on sale) device, I fell no need to complicate things too much like adding a $155 iFi SPDIF iPurifier to the loop.

Or maybe I will :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom