Schiit Turntable: the giant-slayer that slays giants and schiit

WRONG. That never was a problem. I have three different phono preamps here right now ranging in USD retail from $180 to $1200 and none of them pick up RFI like the Mani did. The Mani was just a crap design, period. Many other people noticed the same problem but hyperbolic reviewers and Schiit fanboys either didn't notice it or chose to ignore it.

I’m hardly a “schiit fanboy”, and my Mani sounds just fine. Enjoying a pristine ‘74 issue of the John Fahey’s “The New Possibility” (Christmas/ guitar) record right now. Ahh..
However - I live in a mountain area where any radio station is hard to get. I doubt my Mani will ever give me trouble here.

and my Mani sounds just fine

As I described in another thread a couple of days ago, I was getting buzzing from my new Schiit Mani when used with my Linn LP12. I plugged the Linn into a different household circuit, and the buzz disappeared.

However - I live in a mountain area where any radio station is hard to get. I doubt my Mani will ever give me trouble here.

I'm in a semi-urban area with several radio stations nearby. When RFI became an issue (lived in different cities/states before), I sold it. Not worth the hassle. Ferrite beads helped but did not eliminate the issue. The product should've been tested better before going to market. Same thing with other products from this company.

WRONG. That never was a problem. I have three different phono preamps here right now ranging in USD retail from $180 to $1200 and none of them pick up RFI like the Mani did. The Mani was just a crap design, period. Many other people noticed the same problem but hyperbolic reviewers and Schiit fanboys either didn't notice it or chose to ignore it.

Unfortunate that you had problems w your Mani. I hate it when something like this happens; especially when it was a new purchase?

I have one and lucky for me it never had an issue. Definitely never a RFI problem. They have a metal housing and should be very insulated from RFI. I'm wondering if it might have been the power supply/wall wart or something bad in the unit itself? I think they use something that isn't built by them?

I'm not a fanboy and definitely wouldn't choose to ignore a noise problem. I based my purchase on what I heard side by side comparisons to various preamps from $120 to $800. Mani just sounded better to my ears and was too much bang for the buck to pass up.

I totally understand your point of view though. I'd be more than pissed if I had that problem. Just curious, did you ever try contacting them? I did once and got a lame response email from someone that worked there. I was thinking about getting another Mani or a DAC and maybe their EQ but I'm not so sure anymore with the negative results I'm seeing like yours. I wonder if quality control has gone downhill? They shouldn't let something out without a little QC.

Unfortunate that you had problems w your Mani. I hate it when something like this happens; especially when it was a new purchase?

I have one and lucky for me it never had an issue. Definitely never a RFI problem. They have a metal housing and should be very insulated from RFI. I'm wondering if it might have been the power supply/wall wart or something bad in the unit itself? I think they use something that isn't built by them?

I'm not a fanboy and definitely wouldn't choose to ignore a noise problem. I based my purchase on what I heard side by side comparisons to various preamps from $120 to $800. Mani just sounded better to my ears and was too much bang for the buck to pass up.

I totally understand your point of view though. I'd be more than pissed if I had that problem. Just curious, did you ever try contacting them? I did once and got a lame response email from someone that worked there. I was thinking about getting another Mani or a DAC and maybe their EQ but I'm not so sure anymore with the negative results I'm seeing like yours. I wonder if quality control has gone downhill? They shouldn't let something out without a little QC.

I had the unit for a few years, it was well out of warranty. Like I said I used it in different cities and states. The area where I last tried it (where I'm at now) is a heavy radio/TV station area with many stations nearby. The other areas weren't as bad, which is why it didn't pick up RFI there.

I did try contacting them and got the famous non-existent Schiit customer service. I chalk it up to poor design and poor testing of their products as I have 3 other phono preamps here in different price ranges from different brands and they don't have RFI. Two of them use cheap wall-warts also. Again, I got rid of the Mani and moved on.

I still use their Modi 2 Uber DAC (primarily for TV through the optical input lately) but will be moving on from the brand entirely when I get around to upgrading. I don't like their attitude and how they treat customers, not to mention the fact that they release products that are not ready for prime time and then make excuses about them or try to fault the user. Too much other stuff out there to bother with this company.

...I did try contacting them and got the famous non-existent Schiit customer service....

While I’ve had no trouble with my Mani, I did have them repair a Saga - and I’d say the same for their customer service. Non-existent is fairly accurate. I thought it was rubbish; pissed me off every time I contacted them. The main incentive for buying from them, is that their stuff is US made - and the company is an hour away from me.

Since the Saga repair though, it has been working fine.

While I’ve had no trouble with my Mani, I did have them repair a Saga - and I’d say the same for their customer service. Non-existent is fairly accurate. I thought it was rubbish; pissed me off every time I contacted them. The main incentive for buying from them, is that their stuff is US made - and the company is an hour away from me.

Since the Saga repair though, it has been working fine.

Well, maybe if they get wind of all the negative talk about customer service, they'll get their Schiit together to get their Schiit fixed?

Well, maybe if they get wind of all the negative talk about customer service, they'll get their Schiit together to get their Schiit fixed?

Hope so. I’m pretty happy with the sound I hear - just don’t care for the way they sell their stuff, or having to deal with them on repairs. Maybe I’m just old and expect more.

The main incentive for buying from them, is that their stuff is US made -

Schiit advertises their products as assembled in the USA.
Here's an example of their carefully chosen language (from the Fulla blurb, in this case, from their website):
Designed and Assembled in USA, 2-Year Warranty, Easy Returns
By “designed and assembled in USA" this is what we mean: the vast majority of the total production cost of Fulla 2—chassis, boards, assembly, etc—goes to US companies manufacturing in the US. Our chassis are made minutes from our facility. Our PCBs are done just over the hill from us, or done in NorCal...
The actual working pieces(electronic components) inside those boxes and the soldered to those boards comes from... wherever... just like everyone else's.

http://www.schiit.com/products/fulla-1

Uh, yeah, they’re pretty clear on what specifically they mean by made in USA. And it’s commendable to be making products domestically instead of in China.

Name 3 other companies that make a $99 dac or headphone amp in the US. Chassis, boards and transformers all made in USA.

I just don’t get the weird attempt to shame them for spending most of their cost to manufacture these products in the USA with American companies. Yeesh, people, it’s an American company that’s become a leader in certain audio markets. Take the win!!

I also owned the Mani and sold it when I got a pre with phono section. Not ready for prime time? Why do people assume a company is making faulty products when they have a statistical sample of one?

So your mani didn’t work right and picks up noise. Why didn’t you RETURN it within the 15 day window? Some folks try to get even online after not taking care of a simple problem by themselves, and then suffering the consequences.

And if you didn’t try it out within the 15 day window, then that’s just stupidity. My Mani(try reading owner posts on the many theads on forums, it works fine and is considered a gem for the money) worked fine with no issues.

I won’t be trying out the Sol as I’m not really into vinyl. But it looks like another example of more Schiit bang for buck.

Hope so. I’m pretty happy with the sound I hear - just don’t care for the way they sell their stuff, or having to deal with them on repairs. Maybe I’m just old and expect more.

Agree. They do sound very good and the price point for the sound quality is hard to believe. But if you get a lemon, or have to deal with customer service, yes I am getting too old for that nonsense.

It’s as if their employees imitate the childish behavior of the two founders. I’m going to be fine up to the point where I have a problem with a new purchase from them. Too bad they can’t act a little more professional. Even teenagers have to grow up and mature sometimes.

I really like my new Schiit Mani. I haven't had the (mis?)fortune of working with Schiit on repairs. But, I gotta say, the guy at Schiit who answers my questions hasn't been very helpful. He persists in answering questions that I haven't asked, i.e., "We aren't going to change it." Yeah, I get that. I didn't ask you to change it. Example: the Schiit Mani's fixed impedance for moving-coil is 47 Hz. I'd be interested to know why they (Mike Moffat?) chose that value instead of, say, 100 Hz. Was it simply because it was easy to implement? Does it derive from years of experience listening to MC cartridges? Is there an interesting audio philosophy? Does the difference between 47 Hz and 100 Hz even matter? Maybe this guy really doesn't know. If so, they should put someone at the support desk who does know!

..not sure which of their products aren't ready for primetime. The Mani is one of the most highly reviewed and forum discussed, phono amps available. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find a negative industry review. At at $129, forget about it! I'm running it right now and the sound is lovely.

i get it patient, you bought a Schiit product, used it without issue, for a few years and now can't use it. schiit didn't have an answer for you that you liked or a fix and that makes you so mad, you're compelled to dip into unrelated Schiit threads and cry 'defective' wolf.

I'm guessing, from a company aspect, these issues affect some significantly minimal % of the population and it may be that Schiit is ok with that %, for the current product build/ cost. I know I'm very good with it..

It's not a best case answer but if it's the only one they have right now, it's kind of just 'too bad'. Still, I'd take it easy with the bathwater, you're condemning the whole company, products and persons, based in an idiosyncratic issue, which will never affect 99.9% of the market.

Fact- because Schiit products, overall and individually, are so good and highly regarded, by so many, you will be able to sell it in a few days, on ebay, for $100 and get into something else. I'd like to posit that if the Mani was such a POS, recouping a high % of your $ original spend, from 3 years ago, wouldn't be an option.

This whole bent Mani rant is over paying $40.00 for a few good years of use..and then being able to easily walk away, when it doesn't suit your needs. Sounds like a win to me.

Facts rarely care about feelings. You are welcome to yours obviously, warranted or not.

Last edited:
I have the Schiit Mani. There are many stations around me, even the classical station's transmission antenna being only 1.5 miles away. It's so strong you don't even need an antenna to pick up the station on a FM tuner, yet my Mani has never had any RF interference. I'm happy with its detailed and dynamic sound w/o a hint of noise. I do have the Mani's wall-wart plugged into a basic Monster Cable power strip if that matters. I remember reading that somewhere along the way Schiits changed the wall-wart supplied w/ the Mani.

..not sure which of their products aren't ready for primetime. The Mani is one of the most highly reviewed and forum discussed, phono amps available. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find a negative industry review. At at $129, forget about it! I'm running it right now and the sound is lovely.

i get it patient, you bought a Schiit product, used it without issue, for a few years and now can't use it. schiit didn't have an answer for you that you liked or a fix and that makes you so mad, you're compelled to dip into unrelated Schiit threads and cry 'defective' wolf.

I'm guessing, from a company aspect, these issues affect some significantly minimal % of the population and it may be that Schiit is ok with that %, for the current product build/ cost. I know I'm very good with it..

It's not a best case answer but if it's the only one they have right now, it's kind of just 'too bad'. Still, I'd take it easy with the bathwater, you're condemning the whole company, products and persons, based in an idiosyncratic issue, which will never affect 99.9% of the market.

Fact- because Schiit products, overall and individually, are so good and highly regarded, by so many, you will be able to sell it in a few days, on ebay, for $100 and get into something else. I'd like to posit that if the Mani was such a POS, recouping a high % of your $ original spend, from 3 years ago, wouldn't be an option.

This whole bent Mani rant is over paying $40.00 for a few good years of use..and then being able to easily walk away, when it doesn't suit your needs. Sounds like a win to me.

Facts rarely care about feelings. You are welcome to yours obviously, warranted or not.
yes, one or two problems do not really seal the fate of a company and they have pulled off a monumental feat by manufacturing in US and delivering value and competing with import products, that is why i would prefer to bring the main focus to sound quality of the products rather than customer service. just a reminder that the customer service woes have been real and the latest chapter of Jason;s book addresses this and he has promised to retrain staff and fix the problems that he has acknkowledged more than you have here. be careful not to fall in the trap and become a schiit fan boy.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-2837#post-14681489

direct quote:
Late last year, I changed customer service over to a ticketing system, due to emails being missed and too much miscommunication. This seemed to work very well—it gave us the visibility we needed to ensure customers were getting the support they needed, and it allowed us to assign the more complex questions to a higher level of technician.

But this only works when everyone is responsive. And when one of our techs drops off the map and doesn’t tell us (and we didn’t catch it—that really is our fault), then the same old problems came back—missed emails, no responses, and a level of support far below what we should be shooting for.

I tried to make it work with our technician, and I tried to shore up, but, let’s be real: we let it sit too long. Coupled with an ordering staff who had their all-too-human moments when confronted with a customer coming in hot, we really needed to make some changes.

So, very recently, we did. We now have a different tech support staff, additional oversight at a higher level, and ordering staff have been retrained, with new policies in place that allow them to be much more flexible than in the past. I’ve been watching progress closely, and things seem to be operating much more smoothly.

However, I feel compelled to add a personal aside here: everyone you interact with here at Schiit is a very smart human being, largely unconstrained by corporate trouble-trees and best practices. Being nice gets you very, very far.

on the other hand, I have two issues with your assertions up there:

1- industry reviews are all useless, not that they are not definitive, they are 100% without fail lies and bullshit and hype. schiit has also enjoyed a lot of hype, deserved or undeserved, you should try to not fall victim to it, this comes from a person who has spent thousands of dollars over the years chasing the latest hype. only user impression from people who know a thing or two by experience matters and all industry reviews belong in the schiiter :D

2 - many of their products have been half baked in my and others opinion. maybe read less industry reviews.

Last edited:
in any event, and back to the OP topic-

I'm stoked about the upcoming release of the Schiit Sol. From what I hear, users will be able to use a wide number of carts/ stylus and any phono amp. As stated, I'm putting my Technics on BT as soon as I hear about a drop date. If you're interested and would like to discuss buying an SL 1200 MKII, black, in excellent condition.. let's connect.

even though the risks of being an early adopter are real, I think I'll take them, to get my hands on one of the first batch. if it sucks, I'll return it and spend the next few years blowing against the wind about it..probably never get over it.

is anyone else planning to pick one up?

Calypte, How many times have you called them? Hopefully not twice or more when email is so much easier.

It’s truth time, I’ve purchased 9 of their products. Returned 2, sold off 2. I may be a Schiithead( in my defence, 4 have been b stock on sale) I’ve emailed them a few times and gotten responses usually within the hour, though once I waited a day on a weekend I believe. I’ve never. Called. Them. Ever. Does that make me weird?

They are a small company that sells about 65,000 units a year( read that from a media guy who seems to be in the know). That means at least 45,000 customers per year. Can you imagine the size of the call staff if half of the customer base decided to call in twice per year?

Thankfully, they decided not to have a big phone answering staff, and passed the savings on to the customer instead. It’s a business decision that some may not like, just as some don’t like the finish or the name or 50 other things that OCD people may notice and really bug them.

Have you ever tried phoning Onkyo? Denon? Yamaha? I have phoned Onkyo. It was not fun, let’s say, and I recommend phoning them up right now to gain a little perspective on things.

Calypte, How many times have you called them? Hopefully not twice or more when email is so much easier.

It’s truth time, I’ve purchased 9 of their products. Returned 2, sold off 2. I may be a Schiithead( in my defence, 4 have been b stock on sale) I’ve emailed them a few times and gotten responses usually within the hour, though once I waited a day on a weekend I believe. I’ve never. Called. Them. Ever. Does that make me weird?

They are a small company that sells about 65,000 units a year( read that from a media guy who seems to be in the know). That means at least 45,000 customers per year. Can you imagine the size of the call staff if half of the customer base decided to call in twice per year?

Thankfully, they decided not to have a big phone answering staff, and passed the savings on to the customer instead. It’s a business decision that some may not like, just as some don’t like the finish or the name or 50 other things that OCD people may notice and really bug them.

Have you ever tried phoning Onkyo? Denon? Yamaha? I have phoned Onkyo. It was not fun, let’s say, and I recommend phoning them up right now to gain a little perspective on things.

which one has been your favorite among the nine? the one that you felt like gave you the most indispensable sound? for me like a said Mani has been wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom