Schiit Turntable: the giant-slayer that slays giants and schiit

I did try contacting them and got the famous non-existent Schiit customer service.

Your experience is very different than mine. I sent a mail about an upgrade board for my Bitfrost, and they replied within hours. I ordered the board and it arrived in three days. They forgot the standoff kit, I sent a mail and they replied within hours, and sent the standoff kit within 2 days.

I'd call their customer service excellent.

Kudos to Schitt for the effort, but why?? It's not particularly attractive looking, looks kinda fragile, takes up a lot space (must the rubber band be sooo long?). And since this is a first pass at a product category they have not experience with, I'd have a hard time believing they found a way to break new ground performance-wise.. Other than friends and relatives of the guys who own this company, i have a hard time understanding why anyone would choose that over, say....this - Technics brand new SL-1500C, which includes both an integrated pre-amp (that can be bypassed) and an Ortofon Red Cart.. ..Which is the product of many decades of experience engineering turntables.

..But again, applause for the effort. ..At least it's not yet another wood plank w/ an exposed rubber-band.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 1.56.48 PM.png

Last edited:
One thing the new Techs have in common with the Schiit turntable: neither has gotten into the hands of consumers. Maybe the Techs will be great, maybe not. We'll see. I LOVE it that another American manufacturer is coming to market with an interesting in-house design.

Kudos to Schitt for the effort, but why?? It's not particularly attractive looking, looks kinda fragile, takes up a lot space (must the rubber band be sooo long?). And since this is a first pass at a product category they have not experience with, I'd have a hard time believing they found a way to break new ground performance-wise.. Other than friends and relatives of the guys who own this company, i have a hard time understanding why anyone would choose that over, say....this - Technics brand new SL-1500C, which includes both an integrated pre-amp (that can be bypassed) and an Ortofon Red Cart.. ..Which is the product of many decades of experience engineering turntables.

..But again, applause for the effort. ..At least it's not yet another wood plank w/ an exposed rubber-band.

View attachment 1412261

While they make a big deal about the arm and the platter they beaky day anything but about the motor and speed control. I wonder if they use ofr the shelf Chinese OEM solution.

Your experience is very different than mine. I sent a mail about an upgrade board for my Bitfrost, and they replied within hours. I ordered the board and it arrived in three days. They forgot the standoff kit, I sent a mail and they replied within hours, and sent the standoff kit within 2 days.

I'd call their customer service excellent.

Glad it worked out for you and you are happy with the company. I've pretty much moved on from the brand.

While they make a big deal about the arm and the platter they beaky day anything but about the motor and speed control. I wonder if they use ofr the shelf Chinese OEM solution.

Blog post said it was a Hurst motor.

Odds are it will require moving the rubber belt to a different notch on a pulley, just like most belt drives with similar motors.

Unless this contraption advances the format in some huge way that belies it's appearance, I suggest they reconsider. The market can hardly support yet another belt-drive TT with mediocre specs and even less so one that needs constant tinkering to keep running properly.

The form-factor of this table is totally at odds with the rest of Schitt's gear. Their components stand out from the rest because they are small, chunky and appear to be VERY inviting. Basically, you see their stuff on their website and you WANT to use it. By contrast, this TT looks like one false move and the whole thing comes apart. ...Or a sneeze from 3 feet away will knock it all out of alignment. ..Their components looks satisfying and simple to operate, but this turntable looks totally fussy.

People are saying McIntosh's new Turntable+integrated amp is a "Jump the Shark" mistake, well I think this is a much better example.

(edit: I say "mediocre specs" b/c they mentioned prototype having issues w/ speed accuracy)

Last edited:
Unless this contraption advances the format in some huge way that belies it's appearance, I suggest they reconsider. The market can hardly support yet another belt-drive TT with mediocre specs. And even less so one that needs constant tinkering to keep running properly.

The form-factor of this table is totally at odds with the rest of Schitt's gear. Their components stand out from the rest because they are small, chunky and appear to be VERY inviting. Basically, you see their stuff on their website and you WANT to use it. By contrast, this TT looks like one false move and the whole thing comes apart. ...Or a sneeze from 3 feet away will knock it all out of alignment. ..Their components looks satisfying and simple to operate, but this turntable looks totally fussy.

People are saying McIntosh's new Turntable+integrated amp is a "Jump the Shark" mistake, well I think this is a much better example.

(edit: I say "mediocre specs" b/c they mentioned prototype having issues w/ speed accuracy)

Speed accuracy will likely be on par with something like an RP3. It might be a little quieter than that TT due to the isolated motor and possibly better main bearing. The arm will be far more fiddly and more of a PITA to set up. I hope they get rid of the exposed unshielded wire I saw on the prototype, otherwise it will be a magnet for RFI and other issues.

They say they are intentionally limiting production and making samples for people to stress test. I suspect the actual release date is farther out than they are saying now.

Unless this contraption advances the format in some huge way that belies it's appearance, I suggest they reconsider. The market can hardly support yet another belt-drive TT with mediocre specs and even less so one that needs constant tinkering to keep running properly.

I think I would put more faith in Conrad H's engineering abilities than your evaluation. While its aesthetics follow a form follows function, and is designed with performance being a driving factor relegated by price point, it also means its not for everyone. Not everyone will go for its looks, and that is understandable. As far as the important aspects of turntable design such as platter and bearing, I personally can appreciate the choices made, and they do follow solid engineering principals. I think I will place more trust in Stoddards and Moffats experience and skill, along with Conrad H's contributions and wait and see what the production components look like, before I make any kind of evaluation on what the quality and performance of this component is going to be. At this point I can't say if I like it or not, but I will say I am interested in seeing and hearing the final product. And to see what the final upgrade options will be once the table is established and all the goodies are made available for it.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Back
Top Bottom