Schlit DACs

Interesting .. I've been considering the Bifrost MB (in my current price range)
Bifrost MB is a very good sounding DAC. You won't be disappointed with it - that's for sure. If you have balanced inputs to accept output from from the Gungnir's xlr outs (it also has RCA outs) its well worth the extra cost. Another one worth looking at is the Chord Qtest or Qutest .... a Hugo 2 without the headphone amp section. I know these are a bit more expensive, but "source" components are very very important - nothing you can do to make the source signal better once its left the DAC, turntable, etc. so get the best you can swing :)

Anyone considering a multibit DAC from Schitt should spend at least some time reading relevant discussions on ASR, just to know another side of the story.

I did just that. I have a Bifrost Multibit and was pretty taken aback after I'd read Amir's measurements. So much so that I started thinking maybe I should try a DAC out that measures well. When I saw that the new Modi3 measured so well I figured it'd be a great way to do a comparison. I went ahead and bought the Modi and have spent a considerable amount of time comparing a great measuring unit (Modi) with one that measured horribly (Bifrost).

It's unfortunate because I wanted to like the Modi better but I didn't. It was pretty easy to determine that the Bifrost sounds much more like music. Either Amir's measurments/techniques are wrong, or there is more to how a unit sounds than what he is measuring. Or perhaps, I just like distortion.

Last edited:
Eeeeeeeeeh. Measuring well should be the baseline if we care about hearing what's actually in the track and not some euphonic distortion.

In my book, a DAC can measure well and sound marginal but if it doesn't measure well it's not worth bothering with. Measuring well gets it an audition.

We don't listen to measurements . Some of the best sounding DAC don't measure well Audio Note is one of them .

If comfortable colored sound is your definition of best then sure. But you can achieve the same effect with DSP upstream of a good measuring DAC.

If comfortable colored sound is your definition of best then sure. But you can achieve the same effect with DSP upstream of a good measuring DAC.

I only DSP under 60 HZ to control the distortion caused by bass modes in my listening room . As for color if it pleases me all the better its my system and it sounds great .

Let's get back on topic. Compared to Audio Note Schiit multibit DACs are stellar performers :)

Last edited:

I'm currently using a very transparent (but relatively inexpensive, I know) DAC/Pre combo, and speakers than are utterly unforgiving top to bottom with a very high quality A/B power amp (the Nak is now fully serviced; I spent almost 3x as much on the service as I did on the amp, but I got the deal of the century on the amp...). I've considered getting a secondary DAC or pre to smooth out lesser recordings, since there are many things out there I simply can't tolerate listening to as the system stands.

Don't presume to know everyone's setup or goals. I have a nasty feeling you're doing just that.

Last edited:
I'm currently using a very transparent (but relatively inexpensive, I know) DAC/Pre combo, and speakers than are utterly unforgiving top to bottom with a very high quality A/B power amp (the Nak is now fully serviced; I spent almost 3x as much on the service as I did on the amp, but I got the deal of the century on the amp...). I've considered getting a secondary DAC or pre to smooth out lesser recordings, since there are many things out there I simply can't tolerate listening to as the system stands.

Don't presume to know everyone's setup or goals. I have a nasty feeling you're doing just that.

Out of curiosity, what DAC would that be?

I'm fine with coloration if this is what floats your boat or works for your system, but blanket statements saying the best sounding DACs don't measure well is just naked unsubstantiated audiophile propaganda used as an excuse for badly engineering products.

Modi MB here, and I like it a lot but haven't tried any of the newer crop either. Can't say the Modi MB will be my last dac, I'm sure there are better but I've got other places to spend my money currently other than chasing incrementally better sound.

I couldn't finish reading it, sorry, but I had a good laugh while reading first couple of paragraphs, thank you.

Your welcome . I would like to know if you have listened to any Shitt DACs and if so what other DACs you have listened to sound better to your ears .
I own 5 DACs and the Yiggy is the best sounding of them all in my system

Yesterday I switched the Modi MB to my main system OB's and plugged it into the digital receptacle on this power conditioner ( $30 new in box at a local flea market ). I'm using a Integra DPS-7.2 as a transport and am quite impressed with the nice analog sound. Perhaps it's just an expectation bias but the Modi has never sounded better.

x119HTS3600.jpeg

I have heard Schitt DACs, and liked a few of them--even tried to buy one for a spare bedroom system. I just take issue with the company (in general)--anytime I thought that I wanted to buy one of their products, they were on continuous back-order. Good for the company, I guess, in that there is a demand, but if you offer something for sale, there had better be one (or a dozen) on the shelf--ready to ship--not this 2-4 wk back-order BS. If something is a "custom build", yes, I will wait, but if it is an advertised product for sale, it better be available NOW. Sorry for the rant, but if I need/want a Schitt product, I am better off looking for a used one.

When I placed an order for a Mani a year or so ago I was told there would be a wait as they had to switch to a different supplier for the case. FWIW the case for the Mani is the same as used with the Modi MB.

The DAC in my main system is the current generation Yggdrasil. I prefer it over the other DAC's that I have listened to in MY system - those include the PS Audio Directstream, the PS Audio Directstream Jr, and the Metrum Hex. I also have a Bifrost Multibit (purchased it as the original Bifrost years ago and have had it upgraded to the Uber and then the Multibit.) I also own the Topping D50, and a Philips DAC960.

Folks have very strong opinions about Schiit DACs - both for and against. I judge with my ears, and the Yggdrasil was the one that stayed. Yes, I leave it powered on all the time, just like my Lounge Audio preamp. That's how its meant to be used. (The Directstreams are the same way.) But no, I do not notice a big difference if I use the DAC after it has been powered off for a while.

Back
Top Bottom