Schlit DACs

My first experience with Schiit was a Modi Uber. I plugged it in and my jaw dropped, because my previous dac (Emotiva xda-1) sucked. In fact, it was unusable with a “Pure 20(?)” iPhone dock.

Tried the exact same dock and phone with the Uber and was really impressed. So much so that I returned it in short order for a Bifrost multibit. The Bimby was my very first experience with actual holographic or 3D imaging. And Schiit service through all of this was first rate.

Bottom line, lots of brands make good sounding DACs, but I really like the idea of a company that manufactures their products in the USA. I’m getting increasingly hesitant to support Chinese companies with the way China treats the west.

I know I can’t avoid buying Chinese products but I do when I can. My motto is anywhere but China.

You will find Schiit haters around but don’t let them or me sway you. That audio science forum has a particular load of nonsense regarding Schiit DACs. Simply try them for yourself, and decide for yourself. They sound great but you might like something else better, people’s tastes should be the main factor, not some silly snake oil about measurements.

My first experience with Schiit was a Modi Uber. I plugged it in and my jaw dropped, because my previous dac (Emotiva xda-1) sucked. In fact, it was unusable with a “Pure 20(?)” iPhone dock.

Tried the exact same dock and phone with the Uber and was really impressed. So much so that I returned it in short order for a Bifrost multibit. The Bimby was my very first experience with actual holographic or 3D imaging. And Schiit service through all of this was first rate.

Bottom line, lots of brands make good sounding DACs, but I really like the idea of a company that manufactures their products in the USA. I’m getting increasingly hesitant to support Chinese companies with the way China treats the west.

I know I can’t avoid buying Chinese products but I do when I can. My motto is anywhere but China.

You will find Schiit haters around but don’t let them or me sway you. That audio science forum has a particular load of nonsense regarding Schiit DACs. Simply try them for yourself, and decide for yourself. They sound great but you might like something else better, people’s tastes should be the main factor, not some silly snake oil about measurements.

You nailed it. Schiit makes some great DAC's and they make them here at home and they are affordable. Lots of companies make great DAC's, even domestically, but how many make them at price points that the average guy can afford? I started with the Bifrost and worked my way up to the Yggdrasil . I'm listening to some 24 bit/96khz tracks on it right now and am perfectly happy with it.

BTW - Is that your C3 in your sig pic? I have a '72 LT-1 ragtop in the garage waiting for warmer times....

Yeah, GG, Schiit really does make a great sounding product. That it’s domestically made and priced so reasonably just shows that we can still make competitive products in the USA.

The C3 is not mine, but I’d like to get a vette when I eventually retire.

Yeah, GG, Schiit really does make a great sounding product. That it’s domestically made and priced so reasonably just shows that we can still make competitive products in the USA.

The C3 is not mine, but I’d like to get a vette when I eventually retire.

Not just in the USA, but here in California with US made components wherever possible and through the roof taxes, regs, workers comp, overhead ...

I have a 12 month old Modi Multibit. Unfortunately it developed rather unpleasant distortion after a few hours, which - according to the UK distributor - is a quite common problem with the mobo. Looking at Amir's comments on ASR about the built-quality of the Schiits I am not surprised. I have now replaced it with a Topping D30 and am very impressed. Especially soundstage is much improved.

I am sorry to say that the topping 30 is a real step backwards when compared to Multibit tech.

Also, it’s interesting that you claim this issue you’re having is “quite common”. In researching the mimby, I’ve read threads from several different forums, and I may have read one other similar complaint out of hundreds of owners.

Strange also that you don’t report having it repaired under warranty.

After having my Modi Multibit for a couple months, I noticed a high pitched whine in the sound I was hearing both from headphones and speakers. My source was a Raspberry Pi with a HifiBerry Digi+ HAT, using coaxial to connect it to the Modi.

In my case, I swapped out the wall wart that came with the Pi for a portable battery charger and the noise has not been back since.

Care to elaborate on this statement?

Thanks to folks at ASR we can now ignore such comments.

d30.png
mmb.png

Clearly Modi Multibit has more dirt in the high-frequency region compared to the D30, which probably partially explains its forward sounding character.

Unfortunately measurements do not tell how the unit will sound. Anything with a decent build budget can be made to measure impressively, and if that is all you concern yourself with you can be easily taken by the measurement snake oil. Too bad about that, but that's the internet, absolute nonsense looks the same in black and white font as the truth. Ask yourself why it is that poor measuring tube based components sell so well. Could it be that they sound better? Nah, they measure badly so they must sound like a transistor radio, right?

Pick your poison.

But neither do your impressions, they mean nothing to me or anybody else out there. At the very least measurements do not carry bias.

And they also don’t show how a component will sound, like tube components or the favorite item around here, vintage gear. Vintage stuff can sound absolutely amazing, yet measurements are not impressive. Are all the vintage fans on this forum full of Schiit?

Speaking of bias, not sure why you post repeatedly in Schiit audio threads with the same old repeated hate. For instance, count your posts on this thread alone. Some kind of strange obsession thing goin’ on.

I guess everyone needs a hobby, but I’d suggest backing off on the audio forums for a while. Get out, maybe enjoy a nice meal, go to a park and experience nature, friend.

Life is so much more than debating unprovable theories with complete strangers.

I have a Schiit Modi Multibit that I never really liked the sound of, and it will be up for sale soon.

Are all the vintage fans on this forum full of Schiit?
Does the Millionth person to make the same blatantly obvious pun on the company's name win some kind of prize or something? Just for being the Millionth of course, certainly not for 'wit'.

Been listening to my new M3MB and I think it sounds very nice. First DAC, so I can't compare it to others I owned, but definitely better than the Marantz CD-67se DAC. Lot's more definition and space around the different instruments.

Also, Fed Ex either lost the package or mis-delivered it and Schiit customer service, Laura, was great. They were getting ready to send a new unit when Fed Ex got their Schiit together and delivered the original.

P.S. that one was just for you bimasta.

I am sorry to say that the topping 30 is a real step backwards when compared to Multibit tech.

Also, it’s interesting that you claim this issue you’re having is “quite common”. In researching the mimby, I’ve read threads from several different forums, and I may have read one other similar complaint out of hundreds of owners.

Strange also that you don’t report having it repaired under warranty.
My Modi multibit has been running nonstop since 2016 I think and has never given me any problems, no distortion either.

Back
Top Bottom