Schlit DACs

I'm pretty sure the flaws posted earlier in this thread had more to do with noise than frequency response.

Everyone has bias. Doesn't mean calling people ballless or accusing them of actually being someone else you don't like is cool. Of course, most of the posts where that stuff was done have since been deleted, so the 'biased' Reddit post is the only source I could find at this point.

To me the quotes stand on their own.

Could care less about what one guy purportedly said about another guy. Didn't see the actual post, just what a third party said, was said, which basically makes it gossip.

If you want to get into someone else's squabble because you don't like the product it's your time to do with as you please. I gots other things to do.

Eh. The products are cool. I could do without the internet lynch mobs that materialize every time someone doesn't like them.

I bought the regular Bifrost earlier this year for my main rig and feel great about the sound and the purchase.
Cheers,
Snade

:thumbsup: Like to hear that.. I bought a regular Bifrost as well .. purchased & tested :music: .. will be implemented in my mains this Christmas.

Schiit had nwavguy removed from the head-fi forums because he found one of their products could potentially damage headphones.

I will say, Jason did address this ordeal in his running blog on head-fi about Schiit and its products. Whether you believe him or not is a different matter. He acknowledges that there was a mistake in their design and they handled the initial response wrong. He states that they (schiit) did not have him banned and that the banning was unrelated.

Could overzealous fans played a part? Perhaps, it was before my time both here and on head-fi. I cannot remember if linking to another forum is allowed or not (I seem to recall no, but I cannot find that rule). I can PM the link if people are interested. Or go to chapter 12 of Jason's blog on head-fi (links to the chapters are in the first post).

OK, this is obviously turning into yet another blown up Schiit thread, brought about by who knows. But after all the shouting, name calling, finger pointing what's left? Take your pick, either choose to look at the graphs from that "science based" forum and decide that all Schiit is indeed crap, or go buy one, listen to it and decide with your own ears if you like it. This endless backbiting is really the shits however!

I don't pay a lot of attention over on ak's tt forum but from what I have read I sure don't hear all the back n forth bickering about who said what to whom about cartridges, stylus brands types etc. For those over there it seems to be all about the sound and price point.

Since a dac is sort of like the digital counterpart to the cartridge on a turntable, why can't there be more than one right dac for everybody like cartridges are, based on sound preferences and price points?

I personally feel that there are certain anomalies that are unacceptable in a DAC. One of Amir's charts shows a spike in the signal at 60hz... That's mains hum. There is no reason for that to be acceptable in today's day and age. Quiet PSU design is well understood. Now. If that measurement was crap? Fine. Show that to us. Replicate the measurements under identical conditions (something that was not done so far in what I've read, Jude only posted the balanced measurements vs Amir's unbalanced by page 570-something, I don't know if that was eventually done) But the 600+ page thread chock full of name-calling and snide comments from literally everyone involved in the ordeal over at head-fi is just a bad show all around.

I feel similarly about NWAvGuy's banning over there, but he probably did cross the line when he threatened legal action in a PM to Jude.

It's like there's a significant portion of people in this hobby who never learned to play nice with others as children. Someone disagrees with you, be it for or against measurements, for or against subjective listening tests, or whatever, and it's a bloody holy war.

Neither of the incidents mentioned pass through the threshold of asshattery.

Meanwhile, there have been many customers( let’s face it, of ALL brands not just Schiit) who have been asses with a capital a.

I recall one Hsu Research customer who went on a multi forum rant because he decided he didn’t want the sub and was upset that he would have to pay to return it. The policy clearly stated what Hsu would do and what the customer would get.

Apparently he asked them to waive the return policy and they declined, so he bad mouthed Hsu on several forums. Some people need to man up and realize they still won’t get their way if they cry about it, sheesh.

OK, this is obviously turning into yet another blown up Schiit thread, brought about by who knows. But after all the shouting, name calling, finger pointing what's left? Take your pick, either choose to look at the graphs from that "science based" forum and decide that all Schiit is indeed crap, or go buy one, listen to it and decide with your own ears if you like it. This endless backbiting is really the shits however!

I don't pay a lot of attention over on ak's tt forum but from what I have read I sure don't hear all the back n forth bickering about who said what to whom about cartridges, stylus brands types etc. For those over there it seems to be all about the sound and price point.

Since a dac is sort of like the digital counterpart to the cartridge on a turntable, why can't there be more than one right dac for everybody like cartridges are, based on sound preferences and price points?

There are many different DACs out there for that very reason. That "science-based" forum is focused on measuring products (mostly DACs) to see how well they perform. There is no direct correlation claimed to the way a particular product sounds that is claimed that I am aware of. If you don't care how a DAC measures, then I would ignore the measurements. To each there own. Some do care. It's no reason to argue.

Me? I care how something measures. It's the engineer in me. Things should perform as specified or as claimed. In the NASA world, if a product does not meet specification, it goes back for re-work. It's that simple. Amir is using the latest industry standard measurement equipment. I have no reason to believe he is manipulating measurements. If there is proof he is doing this, I want to see it - not empty accusations or rumor. In my mind, a DAC should measure well AND sound good.

I liked the Modi until it wasn't recognized anymore by my pc. Searched the internet for answers, nothing worked. Now it's just a useless piece of Schitt.

The things about (most) DACs is that they are so much more resolving and low noise as compared to vinyl/cartridges that human ear isn't a very good instrument for their assessment. You really need to look under a microscope to find out which ones are good and which ones are garbage, in relative terms.

The things about (most) DACs is that they are so much more resolving and low noise as compared to vinyl/cartridges that human ear isn't a very good instrument for their assessment. You really need to look under a microscope to find out which ones are good and which ones are garbage, in relative terms.

That statement tells me you just read this stuff and don't listen to different things in your system . If that is the case then why waste our time . Just buy the stuff that the audio magazines say measure good and be happy . Ignorance is bliss

That statement tells me you just read this stuff and don't listen to different things in your system . If that is the case then why waste our time . Just buy the stuff that the audio magazines say measure good and be happy . Ignorance is bliss

You need to start somewhere, measurements provide a good starting point which is much better than comments about tight bass, lifted veils, and sound stage. I got a Modi Multibit based on such reviews, and it was a complete disappointment even before seeing how badly it measures. I'm more careful now.

EXACTLY. It's like buying a car based solely on specifications and worded descriptions. No need to test drive it or see if the color and appearance fits your tastes, right?

You need to start somewhere, measurements provide a good starting point which is much better than comments about tight bass, lifted veils, and sound stage. I got a Modi Multibit based on such reviews, and it was a complete disappointment even before seeing how badly it measures.
I bought a used Yiggy it was disappointing for the first 3 days it took about 3 weeks to transform into a great sounding DAC . The DAC that it replaced was a Metrum Octave .I also own a Oppo 105d and prefer the Schitt

I bought a used Yiggy it was disappointing for the first 3 days it took about 3 weeks to transform into a great sounding DAC . The DAC that it replaced was a Metrum Octave

It certainly takes some time to adjust to a DAC with an oversampilng digital filter from a NOS one such as the Metrum you mentioned... I'm sure the Yggy measures better than the Octave too. So you're with me on measurements.

It certainly takes some time to adjust to a DAC with an oversampilng digital filter from a NOS one such as the Metrum you mentioned... I'm sure the Yggy measures better than the Octave too. So you're with me on measurements.

No I like the sound of the Metrum . I did not want to spend the money on a top of the food chain Metrum . I needed a DAC with a larger output section as I use a passive AVC volume control in my system . The next DAC I will audition will be a Audio Note level 3 type DAC witch I think measures like it is broken

I've experimented with tubes and colored DACs, it was fun but I am past that period in my life. Maybe I will revisit if I get bored again, which won't be any time soon.

I've experimented with tubes and colored DACs, it was fun but I am past that period in my life. Maybe I will revisit if I get bored again, which won't be any time soon.

Gee whiz. Can you stop with the subtle insults? Just because folks like tube gear and DAC's that don't measure like hospital equipment doesn't mean that it does not sound great. Can we agree to respect each other's choices and not belittle them? Head on over to ASR or SBAF - there's tons of that vitriol there.

Back
Top Bottom