Sci-Fi.....

Reel 2 Reel

Mad Dog Junkie
Now I know there are more Sci-Fi fans here than will admit....but ...lets hear your stories!.....

Favorites...

Most hated...

series...

Classics...

gereral....

attachment.php

Reel 2 Reel said:
Now I know there are more Sci-Fi fans here than will admit....but ...lets hear your stories!.....

Favorite Sci Fi series - Star Trek Deep Space Nine

Favorite Sci Fi movies - Bladerunner, The Abyss, Forbidden Planet, 2001 A Space Odyssey ... I'm sure I'll think of more

Most hated - a long list, let me get back to you :scratch2:

My fav sci fi movies are 2001, Bladerunner, The Bicentennial Man, Close Encounters.,amazing that they still havent done an epic from Issac Asimov's Trilogy Foundation or any of his books
The totally screwed up I, Robot and missed all the tremendous pyschological drama and battle of wits between inspector Bailey and the robot...
I also loved AI.

Last edited:
You are sooooooo right about Asimov's I Robot story. The Caves of Steel would've made a better movie though. DS9 was the best Star Trek series ever. I loved Space 1999 and Dr Who. The best sci-fi series to date is the new Battlestar Galactica - hands down. Movies? Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The Day the Earth Stood Still. 2001 a Space Odyssey. Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Alien. Predator. Logans Run is still an old fave. Worst? Saturn 5? Independence Day. Amazon Women on the Moon?

The Chronicles of Riddick movie, Conan The Barbarian books ( not the movie ! ) any thing by Robert Silverberg, Phlip K Dick, Larry Niven, Roger Zelazny-- loved the Amber Chronicles, The list is endless.

I've too many to mention....the list is long and BEAUTIFUL!

As for bad sci-fi....I've too many to mention....the list is long and UGLY!

FWIW...Sometimes BAD sci-fi can be fun to watch, remember Mystery Science Theater 3000????

Russ

Oh geez, Lets see

Space 1999
Battlestar Galactica
Star Trek TNG
Star Trek
V

Movies

War of the Worlds. The older one
All Star Wars
All Star Treks
Blade Runner
All movies that have something to do with time travel, and I have seen many.

In 1956 I saw The Forbidden Planet, this is the first and the best, IMHO, that got me started in my love of SciFi.

Lessee now- TV shows, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits (1960s era) Lost in Space, Time Tunnel,of course Star Trek, Stargate SG-1-but they're about to lose me on this new season- What was the marionette show back in the early '60s-the sexpot girl marionette was a Russian, & the steely captain was named "Chris", I think, the Gerry Anderson "Thunderbirds" series is fun, never saw it when I was a kid. I never cared much for the "Battlestar Galactica" era SF shows-they were just TOO hokey. What was the one that had the little robot who sounded like a 1940s era Borscht-Belt comedian? Puh-leeze... Gimme some blood-blanching monsters that give me nightmares for a week, like the old "Outer Limits" did...Enuff w/the cutesy-wootsey stuff... Let the kids get the F*CK scared outta 'em, like we did. Remember the monster that got after Dr Smith when he had that gizmotron that gave him anything he wanted? You remember, the one who's face looked like a melted candle ? Gawdam, Sam, I saw that bad boy for 2 weeks...Mama threatened to never let me watch "Lost in Space" again. Nahhh, I don't like S/F stuff a bit....<grin>-Sandy G.

To me, Babylon 5 made even Star Trek: The Next Generation look sick by comparison... and I thought ST:TNG was by far the best of all the Trek series! I also thought Roswell was superb, and Max Headroom rocked... I wish I had had a VCR back in 1987:(

I would love to see more than just Starship Troopers from Robert A. Heinlein made into movies, especially Friday, I Will Fear No Evil, The Number Of The Beast and Job: A Comedy Of Justice. And of course, Blade Runner was the very first DVD I bought.

Tom

Last edited:
Books are still the best media for Sci-Fi. I read Red Planet by Heinlien in the 4th grade and have been hooked ever since.

TV show was Science Fiction Theatre and Twilight Zone

Early movies were Invaders from Mars, Forbidden Planet, The Day The Earth Stood Still, and War of The Worlds.

Later movies were good until they started using special effects as part of the script. Predator, 2001, Close Encounters of the Third Kind are some of the better newer movies. Those movies used special effects to compliment an already good story line. Predator to me has the best balance of special effects of any recent movie.

Last edited:
Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land would make an incredible film. Also, the Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Somebody mentioned Zelazny. The World of Tiers, and the Chronicles of Amber would be great. How about Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld series? I LOVED those books. Sci-Fi Channel tried to translate that into a movie, but they didn't do it much justice. Greg Bear's the Forge of God. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Dune novels! The movie sucked, but Sci-Fi Channel made a great miniseries of both Dune and Children of Dune. Have 'em on DVD. Great pieces of work. Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern books - were pursued as cinematic stories by Ronald Moore, the producer of the new BSG series. It never reached fruition. Has anybody (other than me) ever read James Blish's Cities in Flight books? Incredible. Arthur C. Clarke's Rondezvous with Rama is another. They even made a PG game out of it! Bradbury's Martian Chronicles was one of the first pieces of Science Fiction I ever read.

It's so disapointing when you see a movie based on a classic Sci-Fi story that's ruined the story. I Robot being the latest. I think the biggest problem movies have is they are visual while books let the reader provide his/her own visuals as they read. 2001 was the way to go............make the movie and then have someone write a book based on the movie. :)

Series (Only):

Best Ever:
- Babylon 5
Excellent:
- Every Star Trek with the exception of DS9 (Deep S**T Nine), and the first two (lousy) seasons of Next Gen.
- Stargate SG1 (Up until the current season)
- Farscape
- (New) Battle Star Galactic-Babes, errr, I mean Galactica
- Twilight Zone
Very Good:
Merely OK
- Star Treck DS9 (OK, so I watched it, even though I was deeply annoyed with it).

Deeply Cheesy, but I enjoyed watching as a kid anyway:
- Dr Who
- Battlestar Galactica (Original)
- Space 1999
- $6,000,000 Man, Woman, and Dog
- My favorite Martian

Bad
- Andromeda

Totally Sucked (this list is WAY too long, but I'll list a few prominent ones that come to mind)
- Earth Final Conflict
- Lost in Space
- Etc...

Movies: Far too Many to list.

Favs: Abyss, Aliens, ...... etc...

Good Star Trek Movies: 2,4,6, First Contact
Bad Sart Trek Movies: 1,3,5, Nemesis
OK Star trek Movies: all the rest.

I was never too enamored with the original Battlestar Galactica, but the new version is really quite good. I just bought the miniseries and season 1 on dvd and thought the plot lines, acting, and even the special effects were quite good for a tv series. Other series I enjoy are Star Trek and Star Trek TNG (all the other incarnations I could never get into); The Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, X-Files, Sliders, The Lost World, and Highlander.

Favorite Sci-Fi movies would be Bladerunner, Logan's Run (cheesy special effect but original plot), The first Planet of the Apes (before it became a ridiculous series), Species (first movie), Stargate, and Total Recall. The best the past few years, even though I don't care for Vin Diesel is Pitch Black. So much of Sci-Fi is retreads of earlier ideas. I like movies that break new ground or give a new perspective. For satyr, Mystery Science Theater is great!

Third or fourth the Foundation Trilogy (quadrilogy?) as a "should do it", although the awful makes of the mentioned "I Robot" (very little real Asimov in there) and the older "Enemy Mine" :puke: makes the following alarm go off: "Danger Will Robinson. Danger Will Robinson".

Pete

Hi, My name is George and I'm a Sci-Fi fanatic...

After some serious culling I'm down to about 50' of SF novels in my library. I stick mostly to Hard SF but still read pretty much everything from Poul Anderson to Roger Zelazny. My SF film/TV collection isn't nearly as extensive but still pretty good sized and I have a fair amount of stuff on VHS, LD, and DVD.

As far as ST is concerned I'm definitely in the original series and TNG (after the first season or two) camp, could never really get into DS9 although I tried, liked some and hated some of Voyager, and was equally mixed on Enterprise. Outer Limits was consistantly great and Twilight Zone almost as good. Tried to watch Babylon 5 but just couldn't. If pressed I will admit to watching the original Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (the annoying robot's name was Twiggy), My Favorite Martian, Lost in Space and most everything else that's been mentioned so far. I really enjoyed the first few seasons of Farscape but they lost me towards the end, I'm a big fan of SG-1 (even the new season). There is one series that nobody else has mentioned so far that I really liked and that is Firefly. Fox did everything they could to make sure it failed, and sure enough it did. If you didn't catch it when it was on originally I would highly recommend you catch it on Sci-Fi channel while they are running it now (Friday nights before SG-1 and Atlantis) or just go buy the DVDs.

On the movie side of things I'll go along with most of what's been said so far and add a few more. I'm a big fan of Ray Harryhausen's work and think that Fist Men in the Moon, Mysterious Island, Earth vs. the Fling Saucers, It Came from Beneath the Sea, The Beast from 20,00 Fathoms, and 20 Million Miles to Earth are all at least worth a rental if not a permanent place in your collection. Other old fav's include The Time Machine, When Worlds Collide, Them, Day of the Triffids, 5 Million Years to Earth, The Crawling Eye, and The Blob. More recent stuff would include Soylent Green, Contact, Frequency, Dark City, Forever Young, and The Fifth Element. I'll also admit to liking The Postman and don't think it deserves the bad rep it has, even if it wasn't nearly as good as the book (but what movie is?), Waterworld still sucks though.

Things I'd like to see: Foundation of course(although it would have to be a lengthy mini-series to even begin to do it justice), Card's Ender Wiggins trilogy (same), Robinson's Red/Green/Blue Mars trilogy (same), Pohl's Gateway trilogy (same), Niven's Ringworld (at least the first one), Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, and, and, and...

ByrdWyngs said:
Tried to watch Babylon 5 but just couldn't. If pressed I will admit to

Babylon 5 was a great series. It was a 5 year story arc and very detailed.

If you can make it past the first season, which was the setting up of the story and charactor devolopment, your doin' good.... but you have to see it from the beginning to know what is goin on as there aren't any stand alone episodes...

The second season things start to happen to get the jist on what is going on. By the time you get to the third season you are so hooked on it ...you just have to finish watching it...

In my poinion by far the best series....

Yeah, I tried watching B5, but I didn't get in on the ground floor, so it was pretty incomprehensible for me. But I DID pick up on a few of the characters. The local stations would run it sometimes now, sometimes then,you never knew when it was coming on. Who/what was the alien that looked like a 10-foot tall moth larva & communicated (I think) by telepathy? I kinda liked Lando-he was a sneaky bestid, & I liked Flounder playing his assistant.-Sandy G.

bobgary said:
OTOH, I used to be a big Blade Runner fan a few years ago, have quite a collection of items relating to that movie. I also wrote a very comprehensive college paper on the movie, comparing it to the book it was based upon. QUOTE]

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick. I liked Spielberg's interpretation of another Dick short story, it became "Minority Report". Wasn't as big a fan of yet another Dick piece, it was adapted into the motion picture titled "Total Recall".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom