SCOOOOOOOORE!

blhagstrom

Mad Scientist, fixer.
SO, after years of sneaking gear home, flooding the basement in gear, learning to fix gear, fixing gear for fun and profit, flipping gear, listening to SWMBO complain about the disaster, I may have finally arrived.

The wife needed/wanted a "little red SUV". She spotted a Mercedes ML500 online and snagged it last week. Bought it with "junk stereo money".

She now wants a reason to drive it around.

She's out hunting stereo gear at the thrift stores and sending me photos.

She just found some good vintage ARs.

My evil plan is working.

Mmmmmmaahahahahahahahahahaha!

3810361-6155496310-xUmLC.gif

Oh, it gets better!

She normally uses the Discover card.
They don't take Discover.

SHE PAID FOR THEM!

I just told her what the parts are worth.
She wants to go out again tomorrow!

I'm half way through paying for an eight night mini cruise around Fiji for SWMBO, all funds so far from stereo 'junk' and 'smelly old records'. What shall I do while I'm on my own for 9 days - acquire more goodies probably :)

ML500? Wait until you have to put gas in it. There go your profits.

Ask me how I know.

I have the aerodynamic version of the same car a E500 4matic. It's like it's mad at the gas. Wants it out of its tank asap.

By the way my wife found a Marantz receiver and turned a $400 profit. She's hooked too.

Good luck

Eric

ML500? Wait until you have to put gas in it. There go your profits.

Ask me how I know.

I have the aerodynamic version of the same car a E500 4matic. It's like it's mad at the gas. Wants it out of its tank asap.

By the way my wife found a Marantz receiver and turned a $400 profit. She's hooked too.

Good luck

Eric

Yup, I saw the reviews, Brakes and Gas. Makes sense. Goes like a raped ape and so you need to stop it. 5000lb and a V8 takes fuel to launch.
Damn thing is fun!

All my cars burn gas like there is no tomorrow, just gotta keep strippin and flippin.

Lol. Congrats.
For several years I collected old vintage razors. Hunted them down and flipped them like popcorn. Like your wife she complained about "all the time" I spent on it. We'll one day we took a trip to San Francisco and as a good sport she went with me to several antique stores, alley mom & pop stores etc. That day was unlike anything I've come across. Paid a $100 bucks for everything and made $900. She flipped. I told her it was hers to spend as she wanted. She never bothered me again. Every weekend I'd come home with five or six in a little baggy for $20 and make $200 on them. Not a lot by stereo standards I'm sure but it was a little spending cash for her.
Unfortunately one month was particularly bad month and had to sell off most of them. The upshot of it was my collection paid all the bills for that month. She was shocked. It was a "bridge" that helped us without dipping into the savings account. I still managed to hold onto a few pieces that I won't part with.
Like you that "junk stereo money" I'm sure opened her eyes. Can we all pull money out of savings and but whatever. Yup. That's not the point. It's the hunt, adventure and restoring stuff that gives us collectors satisfaction. Oh and surprising the wife once in awhile.
Well done sir!!:rockon:

I was one of the first power sellers on eBay back in 97-98(?). Antiques and collectibles. I was in college. I was one of the first with photos. I made bank! Paid off college and father's estate.

I dropped out when everyone and their dog became sellers and the PO killed cheap postage. Graduated and started a career in software.

Software is so fickle that I have given up on that career. I landed a contract job for now but am really pushing for a business fixing, restoring and flipping.

I lucked into a deal with a recycler who knows audio. I get a lot of newer crap but it sells. A vintage piece comes through once in a while. Usually something needing help, otherwise he flips it himself.

A lot of dumb luck and the Grace of God has carried me a long way down the road.

I lucked into the day job. Keeping the little business rolling while working full time is a load.

I think Conan said "plenty of time to sleep in the grave".

My wife is very tolerant of my record/books/ CDs and other items selling and the mound that inventory creates. I finally put her over the edge, though, when I came home from a yard sale with 17 pairs of British transport handcuffs. My buddy and I split the box of 34 sets for a total price of $25.00.

My wife shook her head and asked if they had the keys. I told her no, but they had universal keys online for under $1.00 each. She could not believe I bought them with no way to open them. The first pair I put on eBay sold for $40.00. I sold some more on the Bay, and the rest at the flea market. The $12.50 investment turned into close to $400.00. She now has me show her what I find in my travels and joins in the fun.

Back
Top Bottom