Scope issue Not getting cotton candy effects on Marantz 2500

PooPoo

Does Anyone know which transistor that would fix the cotton candy effect on the scope on Marantz 2500

You know, I'm not particularly a Marantz guy, and certainly not in the ranks that regularly deal with 'scoped Marantz gear - but my first question would be about whether any stereo separation is audible when the 'scope is showing a straight line. A straight line should be indicative of monophonic sound, no?

Apologies if I'm interloping,

chazix

When the AUDIO switch is depressed what is on the scope? A dot, a vertical or horizontal line? Could be as simple as dirty scope function switches.

BTW the technical term for cottoncandy is Lissajou.
Craig

Last edited:
The trace pattern should alternate between, for example, a straight line when someone is speaking with NO music behind their voice and change to the "cotton candy" effect when complex info like music begins playing. However, this is only in the "Audio" setting.

You know, I'm not particularly a Marantz guy, and certainly not in the ranks that regularly deal with 'scoped Marantz gear - but my first question would be about whether any stereo separation is audible when the 'scope is showing a straight line. A straight line should be indicative of monophonic sound, no?

Apologies if I'm interloping,

chazix
This could be the problem

BTW the technical term for cottoncandy is Lissajou.

Great tidbit of what these days is esoterica! I see that Marantz uses that moniker (at least in the 2600 OM, the closest I found).

I really like "cotton candy", though! I can't remember ever having heard this usage before. (Maybe because I'm pretty much a stranger to audio gear with built-in 'scopes?) But I knew what it meant right away, while "Lissajou figure" would have made me think of single-frequency (or multiples thereof) phase comparison displays.

Cheers,

chazix

Last edited:
So, looks like FM is selected, but STEREO indicator is not lit. Perhaps the station is not broadcasting in stereo? (If this is in the U.S., that would not be unusual in the below-92MHz band, which is often dominated by mostly-talk-format NPR stations.)

If a known stereophonic source like a music CD is played, does the cotton candy appear?

Does the STEREO indicator ever light up when listening to FM?

Your scope circuitry is OK it's just showing mono in that picture. Since the display is at a 45 degree angle it shows that both channels are getting to the scope and are at equal levels just not in stereo. The Lissajous pattern will look like "cottoncandy" ONLY when there is a difference between left and right channels as in Stereo. I'm not familiar with this Marantz but does it show audio other than FM?

Craig

Last edited:
If you want to see what the scope looks like in stereo hook up a CD player or other stereo source.

It may be that the tuner needs an alignment.

Back
Top Bottom