Score? Linaeum lm1000 thrift store

simplynuts

Kept debating about picking up what looked like unusual speakers that I had no idea what they were. Looked on my phone (now that I have data) to find out what they are. Actually tested them in the store so made the buy. Anyone tell me how to use the dip switch settings on the crossover, specs, etc. They sound good with an omindirectional sound. Reminds me of the amt1 ess speakers I once had. There are four posts in the back marked lf and hf , but hooking into either has sound coming out of all the speakers. Would appreciate some help in learning more about these. Scavenging is fun. I did find out that they were made in 1989, sold for $695 and the serial numbers match. Overall good shape. How did I do? Thank you. Want pics I assume?

Linaeums are good speakers. They went downscale somewhat when they licensed their design to Radio Shack (and went out of business shortly after Radio Shack stopped selling their designs, I'm not sure if that's just coincidence or not), but their original stuff is supposedly excellent (I've only read about them, never heard, so no actual experience with them). It looks like these use one of their monopole tweeters (this particular design was not used by Radio Shack) so I know even less about them.

ETA: Actually, I couldn't find any pics online of an LM1000, only an LS1000, so what I wrote about the tweeters may be incorrect.

I found pics of these online and some actually listed for sale years ago for around $300. I played Opera Carmen, Alabama, Heart and a few other cds on these and they sound incredible. lots of bass and smooth highs. Trying to figure out why there is a ic on the crossover board and a dip switch with various settings. maybe has adjustable crossover points? Most of the sound comes out of that tweeter. The bass is set very low. I think I read that it can handle 100 watts. Would love it if someone had an instruction manual and specs to share on these. Will post some pics when I can. Picked them up for the unusual design and patent numbers written all over it. Ebay has alot of the radio shack models with this tweeter, but none of the original.

The switches and IC are probably to vary the treble response curve, but without a manual it may be difficult to figure out. You can try Googling the part numbers on the IC to see if anything comes up.

You might also check the Wayback Machine to see if any of Linnaeum's website was archived before they went out of business.

Someone told me it is not an ic, but might be a resistor network that you change value by switching sections on or off. This changes the cutoff frequency. I wonder if anyone has the operation manual on ak?

Thank you, but I have seen this. I would like to get an operation manual for the lm1000 so I know how the switches should be configured.

I have a pair of the RS ones, which indeed are "downscale" in comparison. Sound emission from the tweeter is front and back (via the port with the terminals and crossover visible in your picture at the back apparently). The RS ones just mount the tweeter outside the box. Distance from the wall behind will make a difference in how they sound.

Here's a datasheet for the resistor array, https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/CTS Corporation PDFs/760,761 Series.pdf

I have a pair of the RS ones, which indeed are "downscale" in comparison. Sound emission from the tweeter is front and back (via the port with the terminals and crossover visible in your picture at the back apparently). The RS ones just mount the tweeter outside the box. Distance from the wall behind will make a difference in how they sound.

Here's a datasheet for the resistor array, https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/CTS Corporation PDFs/760,761 Series.pdf
How do you set the dip switches that controls the resistor array? I would love if someone has the operation manual for the lm1000.

I have no further info about the dip switches. You can attempt to reverse engineer the crossover circuit, though. (You would need much better photos to get help with that here.)

Otherwise, yeah...you need a manual.

Last edited:
How much power can these handle? I don't play loud enough to cause pain, but enough for the wife to tell me to lower the volume.
i wouldn't push them hard into the published power handling. Do some searches on them for trends on use and failures.

The key thing is this black (silk?) midrange /tweeter is a dipole, so equal output to the rear, which should open up the sound stage, and give them better off axis balance.

My guess is this is the earlier version of their masterpiece driver. It was probably expensive to make, and they settled on the clear plastic film monopole driver in the LT-1000 and LS2. [Edit: I just saw on the LS2 thread that it has a silk monopole midrange / tweeter.]

Another really good Linaeum floor standing speaker is the Model 10, which is a silk tweeter (not midrange / tweeter) and an 8" woofer.

Last edited:
The key thing is this black (silk?) midrange /tweeter is a dipole, so equal output to the rear, which should open up the sound stage, and give them better off axis balance.

My guess is this is the earlier version of their masterpiece driver. It was probably expensive to make, and they settled on the clear plastic film monopole driver in the LT-1000 and LS2. [Edit: I just saw on the LS2 thread that it has a silk monopole midrange / tweeter.]

Another really good Linaeum floor standing speaker is the Model 10, which is a silk tweeter (not midrange / tweeter) and an 8" woofer.
My set has the dupont resis cabinet and a plastic film for the tweeters, so not silk. I noticed a higher end model used silver rather than copper like mine for the coil on the tweeters. It has an amazing sound. Brought it to the Peekskill audio meet and a bunch of the guys plugged their stuff into it to hear it. Most never saw these speakers, only the rs ones.

Thanks - yours are dipole with black plastic film, and copper coil. I think the dipole adds a lot to the sound - I would love to find a pair of these.

My LT-1000 have a clear plastic monopole drivers with copper coils. They sound much better than ANY speaker I have ever heard.

Back
Top Bottom