Score Of A Lifetime Thread

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Snow, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Snow

Snow AK Subscriber Subscriber

I got to thinking after seeing a recent thread where a member picked up what appears to be a fully functional Pioneer Spec system including TT with rack for next to nothing that it would be the score of a lifetime for most of us.

If any of you have stories that you wish to share with us regarding your best score or scores feel free to tell them here including of course lots of pics :)

I truly enjoy reading about these types of stories and it gives the rest of us hope that someday the same good fortune may be bestowed on us.

Regards Snow

Dave_1962 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Hyfi

Hyfi Addicted Member

2008 as the market was crashing a neighbor asked me to help him sell some gear he had purchased several years earlier. His wife hated the big system and made him replace it with some crap. He stored all the gear in his garage for a year or two prior to asking for help. The condition was questionable as he knew there was an issue with one channel of the amp and he also had the pre-amp incorrectly tubed.

I did a ton of research trying to find the value including contacting the manufacturers and even the store where it was all purchased. Once I put the items up for sale I couldn't get any takers at as low as $500 per item. (pre, amp, speakers) I was mainly interested in the cables which were all Synergistic Research. So after a few months trying with no luck, I offered him a ridiculous amount of cash since it was in need of repairs. He told me no thanks, his family would help him sell it all.

As winter came and we had our first decent snow, I get a call from the neighbor asking me if I still was interested in the deal I had offered since he needed to get to his snow blower and wanted the stuff gone. I said yes quietly, but did the snoopy dance as I hung up the phone.

For $300 I got a VAC CLA1 MKII All Tube Dual Mono Pre Amp, a Counterpoint NPS-400 Hybrid Amp, a pair of Clearfield Continental Speakers (early von Schwiekert), a pair of 14' Synergistic Research Speaker cables, 2 sets of SR Interconnects, an Audio Control 10 Equalizer and some other random items.

It cost me $200 to repair the amp and $100 to retube the Pre Amp and I sold the rest.

Several tube rolls in both, but it is still my main system today and I am finding it hard to beat for less than 30K. If it was all bought at List price of early 90s, it would be close to $20K worth of gear.

3. W.ALLEN

W.ALLEN Super Member

Don't know if it would be considered a deal of a lifetime but I found my Aragon 4004MKii at a TV repair shop down the street from work , it had been there about 3 years and the tech said the only thing that was wrong with it was he had to replace the protection relay , he said he found the correct one for it also . The tech called the owner to get a price and I ended up with it for 300 bucks . Tell you what , I about hurt myself carrying that 75 lb amp to the truck and then into the house . This is one you don't move around once its set up .

Dave_1962 and Snow like this.
  4. KiM3Ce

KiM3Ce AK Subscriber Subscriber

The first estate sale I went to, probably 1983. An ad in the paper for the auction place said "Macintosh Power Supply". I got an MC 275 and C22, I believe for $175. Sold them for $1450.

5. HyKlas

HyKlas AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sorry this is so long in the tooth but it's a great memory that I think back on often.

A few years back I ran an ad looking for stereo gear. Received quite a few calls as this was a venue not many think to advertise in. One in particular was outstanding. Outstanding equipment and an outstanding couple of folks to chat with.

Anyway, I received a call from a woman who's husband had passed a few years prior and was trying to make space in the previous audio room. We set a date and I made the trip over.

Upon arriving I'm greeted by a very nice woman and her mother, the younger of the 2 having recently lost her husband. We move on to the room and there lies a Marantz 1200, a Sony TTS-3000 w/ Sumiko arm, a Dual 1019, and a pair of Tannoy Gold 15s in giant DIY cabinets.

We chat for a few hours about life and music before moving on to the equipment. Turns out she just wants it gone. I didn't want it for free... I don't like doing that... I offered money countless times but was met only with a brick wall.

This got the gears turning and I eventually came up with a good trade off. She mentioned wanting something to listen to her collection of classical CDs on while she did her hobby work in the garage.

Got home with the gear, hopped on the internet, and started doing my research on the best ~$500 shelf system I could buy that didn't have iPod or bluetooth or any of that other junk. A few days later I had decided on the Denon D-M41 system.

As soon as it arrived I pulled it out for testing and was glad I did as the CD player made mechanical noise. By the time the 2nd one arrived and tested well, a few weeks had passed. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't for the life of me find her phone number. A surprise visit isn't what I had in mind but that was my only option.

Arrived at her house and offered the system as a trade. She was more than excited about having something decent to listen to out there in the garage. Would never compare to the Tannoys but at least those little bookshelf speakers make some great noise.

Everyone walked away happy and I got to meet a few great folks. To this day, I still have every bit of that system (minus the Dual) and haven't given a single thought about selling any of it. Don't plan to either. I consider it a gift and there's only a few things you can do with a gift in my opinion. One would be regift it again and the other would be to die with it. I'm going for the latter at this point...

6. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

No pics due to the Photoshop debacle, but there is a 13 page thread over in tubes about my Leak Stereo 20 find. There is a D&S thread about a freecycle jazz album scroe. Lots of other, smaller scores. I've been blessed.

Also, I will confess being a bit disappointed by this thread. When I saw the title and your name I thought it was going to be a recent score that you considered YOUR best ever, and I've seen enough of your posts that my mind raced with wonder at the possibilities.

7. Killer Fox

Killer Fox Super Member

I'm still waiting. Hopefully it happens before I die.

Ghonk, Dave_1962 and Snow like this.
  8. turnitdown

turnitdown Well-worn member Subscriber

$125 pair of Altec A5s and $200 604-8H pair. That never happens here.

elitopus, Dave_1962 and Snow like this.
  9. jbasse

jbasse AK Subscriber Subscriber

AR3a pair, Frazier MK IV pair, AR2a pair and an AR1 paired with an AR2 for $6 a pair within a 2 month period at Abilene, TX Goodwills in 2011.

10. pyoung272

pyoung272 Active Member

My score of a lifetime was about 20 years ago in which I purchased a few hundred jazz records at the local swap meet.

I am walking thru the swap meet and I see a few records at a seller's stall. I look thru them and am very excited that I see jazz records. I look at the condition of the records and see they are all in great condition so I ask the seller how much he is selling the records. He says $1 each and I am about to pay but I see that the seller has much more records in the back seat of his car. I quickly thumb thru those records and get very excited to see that all the records are jazz records. Without even counting the records, I offer the seller to buy all. We agree to a price of $100 for the lot.

Since I could not carry all of the records (I am by myself and my car is located a distance away), I am worried that if I leave the records to get my car, another buyer would come along and offer the seller more than the $100. So I figure if I just close the door of the car so nobody else will see the records in the back seat, I would be ok. I run to my car and drive back to pick up the records and am relieved that the records are still there. I load the records in to my car and bring them home.

At home, I go thru the records and see many Art Blakey, Cannonball Adderley, Dexter Gordon and many others records. I look at the condition all look mint. There were Blue Notes, Impulses, Verves and other labels. In all, there are about 300 records. This was my greatest score.

JRhoBurton, Dagis, Leland47 and 6 others like this.
  11. Snow

I will have to check out the Leak Stereo 20 find I seen the Freecylce Jazz score great stuff, Sorry for dissapointing you on it not being about a recent score of mine but like you I have been blessed with quite a few decent scores. I remember reading one once years ago about a fellow who had won a storage auction for little money it was a very large unit stuffed full of old tube gear tubes and the like he must have had at least 500k in stuff when I quit counting it all up, and he said he had to leave a few truck loads of it there, wish I would have saved it to my favorites tab no idea where it is now on the forum.

Regards Snow

12. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

Snow likes this.
  13. cubdog

cubdog banging through drywall Subscriber

Since you didn't stipulate audio scores here's one about furniture. I was looking for an arts and crafts style rocking chair when we lived in Denver. I was on Denver's South Broadway antique row when I spotted a dirty rocker with an equally dirty red cord seat cover. I knew immediately that this chair was quality although it was unmarked. The dealer wanted $180, IMSC, and I talked him down to $150. I started doing research as soon as I got it home. Long story short I have an original Gustav Stickley rocker. It's over 100 years old, I can't remember exactly. In it's current condition, which is excellent, with it's new leather seat cover it's worth between $1,500-$2,000. As a bonus it's also very comfortable.

Leland47, drtool and Snow like this.
  14. Killer Fox

Killer Fox Super Member

15. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

Klipsch Cornwall 2's - no grills - all drivers working - rough cabs - $50 - yes fifty - Canadian funds - last summer from Kijiji and only 25 min. from my house.

16. superdog

superdog AK Member

$10 for an Audio Research SP8 tube preamp and $25 Vandesteen 2c speakers.I use the pre occasionally and the speakers..well I didn't want to put the effort into them as they were rough and needed restoring.Sold them for $50 on cl.The guy that bought them restored them with necessary repair and resocked them in black(came out real nice)and was now downsizing and wanted to know if I wanted to buy them back for $150.So for a total outlay of about $135 I have some gear that was probably about $2500 new in the early 80s.May not be a score of a lifetime for everyone but I don't think it will happen again to me.

JRhoBurton, KiM3Ce, mtlmn1971 and 2 others like this.

17. EastPoint

EastPoint Factory Code No. 4200 Subscriber

I went to an estate sale because it supposedly had "record players." They were old portables and were priced at $100. There was auto racing memorabilia all over the house, which hadn't been mentioned in the ad. Turns out the deceased had been WAY into the SCCA, to the point of building his own engines. There wasn't anything car-related other than a bunch of patches and a few posters, except on a shelf with a bunch of random electronics (answering machines, portable RTR, tape players, shavers, whatever) there was a Halda TWM1 Twinmaster, which is an extremely high-quality piece of equipment used for lap counting in racing. Original box, receipt, manuals, beautiful condition. Looked like quality. It was marked $10. I sold it on eBay a few days later for $1500.

slow_jazz, superdog and Snow like this.
  18. mibag6

mibag6 Super Member

Wife and kids picked up a Marantz 2385 at a church rummage sale 10 or 12 years ago. I was working out of town at the time and as I recall, they called me at work to see if they should pick it up. My wife had an idea it was a good grab and for $5 or $10 (I forget which) was a pretty decent purchase.
    Fisher X100 B $5 at an estate sale.
    Scott LK72 $4 at an estate sale.
    Nice pair of Klipsch Heresys $35
    A real nice Pilot console with SA260 amp, FA590 pre tuner, Garrard tt, and Jensen woofers for the low, low, price of $1 at a post estate sale clean out. The console had a sheet over the top and was covered with nick nacky stuff. Sold the amp and speakers for a good chunk more than I paid.
    The Pilot was just 3 or 4 yrs ago I think so for any naysayers out there, deals can still be had, but a little luck doesn't hurt.:D
    Photos are on another computer.
    I won't even go into the Macs.

19. Snow

20. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Once got a mint Pioneer SX-980 for 100 bucks.
    A pair of no repair needed Vandersteen 2c's for 200.

Came home one day to find mud-splattered Yamaha NS-690 III's, just sitting by the steps near the porch. Needed refoaming, plus about a month with Q-tips removing all the mud, but completely functional.

I STILL DON'T KNOW WHO LEFT THOSE FOR ME!!!

Oh, and some Epicure Model 20's for a twenty.

Recently got some LSA-1 bookshelf speakers in box, with paperwork and everything, 11 months old, for 275. They list for 1300 to this day.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Dave_1962, mtlmn1971 and Snow like this.