Score Of A Lifetime Thread

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Snow, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Laid_back

Laid_back Active Member

Nothing really crazy, but some good deals none-the-less:

Lot of 3 like-new Technics SL-1200MKII - $200
    AB International 900A - Free
    Klipsch La Scala Pro - $200
    Bose 901 VI with Pedestals/EQ - $200
    Nakamichi BX-300 - Free
    2 Sony 5 disc CD Changers (forgot the model) - Free
    MacBook Pro 15" - $60 (I mention this because this machine was in pieces, but in great shape. I put it back together and it worked, but had a video problem. Googled the model and found that Apple had a repair program for that model. Took it to the Apple Store. They kept it for two weeks but couldn't fix it. They then gave me a brand new TOTL 15" MacBook Pro for my trouble, which I used for a year and sold for $1800.)
    :banana:

highwaychile, Leland47 and Snow like this.
  2. frahengeo

frahengeo AK Subscriber Subscriber

The guy that sold his SX-1980 to me picked it up for ~$50.00, but sold it to me for much more. So he got a score of a lifetime, and I just got an 'okay' deal.

3. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

If that is $200 for all three I think that counts as crazy good.

Laid_back and Snow like this.
  4. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

My father's best score was a Marantz 7C and pair of Model 2 amps for $300.00 ...

I've had a bunch over the years as I was buying like Snow for about 15yrs. One of the highlights was a Western Electric 142 and McIntosh A120 for $100 from a campground (retired from PA use) - both having pairs of WE350B tubes, which I stupidly let slip away. The A120 is such a rare amplifier, it wasn't worth much at the time as it was impossible to find another. I finally did sell it to a collector that had a single as well. A few years back, he sold the pair on eBay for serious coin.

highwaychile, motorstereo and Snow like this.
  5. FastG

FastG AK Subscriber Subscriber

I was out walking the dog one Saturday morning, passed a yard sale about a block from home. Looked around, just be sociable. In the corner were a trumpet and a tuba, both in great condition. Just out of interest I ask how much, I will always remember the reply "they are not of resale value so $10". I could not get my money out quick enough. The dog was very confused as we rushed back home to pick up the car. I sold them to a local brass instrument store for $650 the same afternoon.

Graham

highwaychile, Snow and Leland47 like this.
  6. podbaydoors

podbaydoors AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not sure whether this counts, but I just got a western electric 22d mixer for $7.04 on ebay.
    I'll have to figure out a suitable power supply and tie in an appropriate output matching transformer, but it should be a very nifty guitar preamp if nothing else. I can't find anything much on these on the web, but maybe it's so unusual..... Naaaahhhh, it's just an oddball mixer!

Snow likes this.
  7. ryanward84

ryanward84 AK Subscriber Subscriber

My best was probably 2 pairs of Klipsch Heresy I's for $100. I also snagged a Marantz 2230, and Yamaha A-1 and a couple of Sony ES 5 disc cd changers for $100 a year or so ago.

I just missed on an amazing score here in Utah of a Yamaha M-80/C-80 and matching CD, Cassette and tuner with some big Infinity RSBs for $200! Hopefully the guy who got them appreciates them! I don't have much time running around looking for scores lately though working 50 hours a week and fixing up the house we bought this summer.

highwaychile and Snow like this.
  8. Brad Muller

Brad Muller Super Member

I never find a scroe...

darksolstice likes this.
  9. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

The one that got me hooked. Not my best, but my most memorable.

I stopped by a Salvation Army not that far from me on a Saturday afternoon. Lots of people looking around, stuff all over the floor. On the floor away from any shelving, I see an old metal case. Pick it up and I'm starting to get excited. Heavy. It says Dynaco. Price $10!!! PAS3!

Got it home, cleaned it up, and it had its original dynaco telefunken tubes, and it all worked.

I've been hooked ever since!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    highwaychile, mrz80 and Snow like this.
  10. mrz80

mrz80 I guess it's in my blood

I've had a few runs of good luck. I'll leave out my uncle showing up on my doorstep with Mr. Mc's TD-125 (and a 1917 Enfield in .30-06) 'cause that was a gimme. :cool: Also in that category was the complete Collins S-Line HF station that Mom had bought for Dad the summer before I was born. She called me up one day and said, "Come up here and get what you want of your Dad's radio gear before I have your brother haul it all to the dump.":eek: Then she loads me down with the 113 and 275 from the living room 'cause she "wants something with a remote control for the volume." My brother just rolled his eyes and helped me cart 'em out to the car. :)

Found a pair of Minimus 7s for $3.50 at a thrift shop in town; new coat of paint and some judicious suction with a vacuum cleaner to pull out a dented dust cap and they're fine and dandy.

Stumbled on a Marantz 2235 at a yard sale for $20 some years back. Recently sold it for $75.

Way back in high school I found a Hammarlund BC-1004 (mil. labeled SuperPro receiver) in the junkpile in the Radio-TV servicing classroom. Gave it to my dad, who found a power supply for it and got it working. Found its way back to me when he passed away (see the threatened run to the county dump above). Sold it at a hamfest to a Hammarlund collector. That's one of those "I wish I'd never sold that!" things. What was I THINKING?!?! :crazy::(

Best score was a coworker who "found you something interesting at a yardsale" for $10. Turned out to be a HK Cit II with no tubes! Ended up selling it at a hamfest because I just didn't have the time to restore it. Hadn't even gotten it out of the car and onto the table before someone walked up and made me the offer I couldn't refuse for it. :)

Snow likes this.
  11. opossumcrush

opossumcrush The Central Scrutinizer Subscriber

I've gotten alot of decent gear at really cheap prices, but i think my best deals are Soundstream M2 and M3 for $2.00. And my estate auction score, Onkyo Grand Integra M508 near flawless condition. In the original box and packing with the manuals and Onkyo catalog, $50.00.

mtlmn1971 likes this.
  12. motorstereo

motorstereo the wonder of it all Subscriber

For me gear comes and goes; some stays and some leaves to make room for more. For me my lifetime score in the audio world would be my best friend Dave who was a lifetime vintage collector-enthusiast who took me under his wing so to speak and got me started and showed me the ropes of the vintage audio world. Sadly Dave passed away a couple years ago but I'll always consider him my number one "score of a lifetime" in this hobby

13. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

Mine have all been posted in the best thrift scores thread.

Yamaha rx-z7 for $40
    Anthem avm20 + pva7 for $25
    Kef q90 for $25

superdog, highwaychile and Snow like this.
  14. Hajidub

Hajidub Ready for Winter! Subscriber

An original UK pressing of the Beatles ~white~ number 8500 for $50.

elcoholic and Snow like this.
  15. 2526

2526 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I got my Fisher 400 in excellent original condition for $75

superdog and Snow like this.
  16. mattsd

mattsd AK Subscriber Subscriber

Big scores for me have been kinda far and few between, but...

Pioneer SPEC-2, free. Yes, free. I'll be doing a restoration thread on it soon.
    Pioneer SX-1250, $75, needed an easy power supply repair.
    Pioneer HPM-100s, $100.
    Sansui G-8000, $100
    Sansui AU-20000, $200
    Thorens TD-125 MKII, $300. Completely working and came with a mint Audio Technica AT15S
    Pioneer SX-1980, $400, fully working.

I still have all but the G-8000 and AU-20000 as well, though electrically it is all a lot better than before. :D I do regret selling the 20000, really should have kept that.

superdog and Snow like this.
  17. bobinaz

bobinaz Active Member

My all time best score in 2008 on my birthday. I n thrift store I got a mcintosh mc2125 AND a mx113 both in nice wood cases for $25.
    Later next year at a yard sale I got a marantz 2325 in wood case AND a sansui 990 for $60

tyella, Snow, superdog and 3 others like this.
  18. Mrv8q

Mrv8q Well-Known Member

I love reading these. Some gear I know and some I don't.

Just love the fast beating of the heart when one knows a score is imminent!

Snow likes this.
  19. jdsalinger

jdsalinger Well-Known Member

Pilot 402 - $40
    ADS L-1290 - $60
    Fisher 500t, Garrard LAB-80, AR 2ax - $25 for all
    Another Fisher 500t - $50 ( may not seem like a score, but the sound quality & styling are priceless to me )
    McIntosh MPI-4 & C24 - $250
    Advent 5012 - curb score

Snow likes this.
  20. jberger

jberger AK Subscriber Subscriber

Infinity 7 Kappa $80
    Wharfedale E60 $20
    Sony 300 disc DVD changer (that read SACD discs, too) $10

Snow likes this.