Score Of A Lifetime Thread

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Snow, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Hawkeye83

Hawkeye83 Super Member

Happy for you. Impatiently waiting my turn for a score like this! Heck I'd take a thrift store find of some AR's or KLH's! I've had some very good deals but no "scores" yet.

Snow likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Snow

Snow AK Subscriber Subscriber

Agreed and I love it great scores everyone and I am wishing everyone continued success and if you have not had one yet good luck to you :)

Regards Snow

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Fitero, Bdbras84, jberger and 3 others like this.
  3. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

Networking can also lead to great scores.

I was chatting with a fellow in line at an estate sale, and I told him I love resurrecting vintage stereo gear and that I especially loved kenwood gear. Well, he tells me he has an old Kenwood. I told him I would be interested and how much did he want for it? A 24 of beer!

Another time, I was talking with one of my colleagues from Digital Days and I told him I was having a ball finding, refurbishing, and playing around with vintage stereo gear. I saw him a few months later, and he had some klipschorns! We settled on a price of $400. Ended up they were Cornwalls and we settled on $200. His wife wanted them out of the house.

superdog and Snow like this.
  4. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

This is why I like this place so much. Instead of everyone being jealous and mean if someone makes a big score there is always a big round of pats on the back.

It's those big scores that I see from other folks that inspire me to keep looking at sales, making contacts, etc. There have been times where I didn't want to get up early in the morning but thought "what would the guys on AK do?" then dragged myself out of bed and in a few cases struck gold.

Bdbras84, jberger, Audio Fan and 2 others like this.
  5. Brad Muller

Brad Muller Super Member

Everyone can enjoy the scores. You have to be obsessive, you have to be lucky, you have to go the extra mile....:rockon::rockon:

6. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

Awesome guys.

So true. Whether this hobby or another the felling I get from a score is hard to sum up. Maybe like a kid at Christmas?
    In my case it could be something as simple as an anti-static gun new in the box from 1977 to a Monster receiver and anything in between. Don't forget the little score keep you going too.
    I wish all good will and success in chasing that score and getting it. Be safe &....
    Good luck.

Bdbras84 and Snow like this.

7. zunde

zunde Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself, reading some of this stuff makes my blood boil. :mad:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  8. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

EV Patrician 700 out of a mansion in Detroit. A butler oiled them every year since new in 1962. Got the for $2500 and sold the for 12 times that much 5 years later.

IMG_3014.jpg

Cactus Bob, Dazaa, bob smog and 12 others like this.
  9. Snow

Snow AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not sure if I ever get envious of others scores or what others can afford to own there will always be someone who has more money then I do or lives in a location where gear is more plentiful. I have seen a few scores where I wish I could have been the person to score because it was something I have never heard before though.

Regards Snow

markshan and drtool like this.
  10. hwystar

hwystar Super Member

My best scores that come to mind immediately, and all have been posted in these forums I believe. Sorry no pictures anymore.
    ADS L2030s found in a Goodwill, got them for $400. Eventually sold them for $2500.
    Harman Kardon Citation II found at an estate sale in the bottom of an unsuspecting Magnavox Console. And it had old Gold Lion KT-88s, 3 of which were still good. Paid $40.00 for the console and amp.
    Kenwood model 600 integrated amp for $50
    Ampex Signature Console, $300
    Thorens TD125 (non working) with SME 3009 tonearm, $5

Fitero and Snow like this.
  11. Hawkeye83

Hawkeye83 Super Member

My best "deals" - probably wouldn't call them scores:

- Apogee Centaur for $175...

Well, that's probably it!

Had several missed opportunities:
    - Altec 19's for $150
    - Pilot console - free
    - Thorens TD-124 for $250 - but not working, needed some parts - was talked out of it by some here on AK...still question that decision, but I know it would have taken some $$$ to get it going properly again

Snow likes this.

12. Snappahead

Snappahead AK Subscriber Subscriber

Probably not the "score of a lifetime" and I hope it wasn't but a pretty good one nonetheless. An audio buddy stopped by my house a few years back knowing how much I love Mac equipment. He pulled out of his trunk a pristine Mc 250 and C 28. Both perfect and all original. Best $ 500.00 I ever spent. With 2 systems already complete they became my garage system.

Attached Files:

Snow and Audio Fan like this.
  13. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

When Macs are the garage system, you don't need a score.

mstrane21, Leland47, Snow and 6 others like this.
  14. Snappahead

Snappahead AK Subscriber Subscriber

Mark, I started buying Mac stuff many years ago when it was relatively inexpensive. Why? Because when I was a kid and didn't have any money I drooled over it. With that said, I have quite a bit of it but it didn't cost me a fortune. I would never spend 5 or 10 grand on an amp or speakers. I think the trick is finding something you like or love without having to spend a ton of money.

OMGCat! likes this.
  15. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

Not a judgment, just an observation that your garage system smokes many of our primary systems.

Bdbras84 likes this.
  16. Numistrek09

Numistrek09 Super Member

A Pioneer PR 101 take up reel in a Ampex Grandmaster box for 5 dollars. It went well with the Pioneer RT 909 my friend pulled out of the trash for me.

Was given a Teac A7010 with 2 sets of Nabs, take up reel and 8 10.5" tapes. All i had to do is drive 45 mins to pick it up.

About 60 Maxell/TDK Type 2 and metal cassette tapes in the storage cases for 6 bucks at another thrift.

Non audio related, a 1921 Peace silver dollar for a buck in the till at work. Graded about uncirculated. At the time, a 140 dollar coin.

Snow likes this.

17. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

The key there is to have something you are quite happy with to tide you through until the right deal comes around. Then you pounce! I generally play with my prime gear for a while, to discover where their limitations are or their weak points. If I like how it works and believe it has high potential, I will invest in getting it restored and optimized by someone I trust. So far, it is paying off. My biggest breakdown was a turntable belt, but I had an even better turntable sitting on the sidelines. And now the belt is replaced and the B&O 4002 is back in prime place while I waited for the other to get addressed. The problem is that they both sound great, but I like the style in the B&O and the stability of the other turntable.

Sorry, got carried away on a side track!

Snappahead and Snow like this.
  18. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just moved to Los Angeles which is gear mecca but my apartment is small and I'm pretty much stuck with what I have. Even my B&W 804s are just about too big for the living room but they're gonna stay.
    I keep seeing good deals on high end stuff that I'd love to try out and it's just about killin' me. Moving my small collection up the stairs into the new place yesterday DID just about kill me (70lb amps feel much heavier after moving crap all day!) so it's put me off buying anything else. If I ever come across a super score I'm going to have to rent a storage unit which means it can't stay for long as paying rent for gear I'm not using just doesn't work for me.

19. richd860

richd860 Speaker Freak!!!

Been buying speakers,and other audio gear for about 10 years now,and I think a couple of my purchases were fantastic scores.A pair of JBL L100's for $150,and a few months ago,a pair of PSB Stratus Goldi Speakers,for $300. I sold the JBL's for $610.The PSB's will stay with me forever.

mike j and Snow like this.
  20. mimalmo

mimalmo I like big speakers Subscriber

Yep. Sunfire True Sub Mk IV for $25

I think she was pissed at her husband or something. Said she was selling it because "it was in her way".

2018-04-16 11_41_07-Screenshot_20180416-095735.png

Snow likes this.