Scored a KR-6050, but having problems.

fogmoose

Found a dirty but otherwise good condition KR-6050 today at a moving sale. De-oxy'd all the pots and switches, but still getting serious spikes and static in both channels. It actually seemed to get worse after I cleaned the Pots! It is so bad that it was tripping the protection, so I don't even want to turn it on till I get some advice on the problem. Good thing I didn't hook up speakers to it!

This is my first Kenwood, and it is in great shape otherwise so I would love to get it going. I seem to remember that the On/Speaker/A/B Switch on this era of kenwoods was a common problem. Am I getting warm? I am far from an expert, but I can swing a soldering iron so any info would be appreciated. If I can't get it running, at least it will be good for parts for someone, I suppose.

Looking forward to hearing from the Kenwood section!

Fogmoose, any info on this issue? :scratch2:

I just got a 6050 that has static and spikes problem (not driving it into protect though), distorted bass and God forbid to switch loudness to ON :no:

Also did the cleaning of relay contacts, switches and pots, no luck, still heavy spikes when volume turned over "3"...

Any new info much appreciated :yes::yes:

Thx :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Power supply trouble, defective input differential transistors (or other bad silicon), leaky cap(s) putting DC where it doesn't belong, defective solder...

Any or all.

Thank you PacificStereo :thmbsp: , I brought it to a local guy who knew what to look for and it happened to be a small power supply trouble (dunno what, he changed some resistors as far as I can see on the board) and rest was lots of solder points gone bad, he said there was lots of them so he re-soldered the whole preamp and psu board :music:

Now it works fine but a re-cap will be in order cos 30yrs didnt do any good to those capacitors, right now it sounds a bit hollow or thin or...

Im looking forward to get it play some music again :yes::yes:

Attachments

• IMG_9576.jpg
    IMG_9576.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9575.jpg
    IMG_9575.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9573.jpg
    IMG_9573.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 32
Back