Scored a Sansui 790

Belo

I wasn't looking for anything special, I wasn't even planning to buy anything but as soon as this guy listed it for sale for 85 dollars I decided to buy it.
The only down side to it is that the signal meter and fm stereo lamp aren't working.

Attachments

• IMG_20160410_164012756.jpg
    IMG_20160410_164012756.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20160410_164147866(1).jpg
    IMG_20160410_164147866(1).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20160410_164157900.jpg
    IMG_20160410_164157900.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20160410_164212077.jpg
    IMG_20160410_164212077.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 72
That's quite a find. I like the black faced versions. The signal meter lamp is an ordinary fuse lamp and is fairly easy to replace. The stereo lamp may take a little diagnosis. You have to determine if it's the bulb or the source voltage to the bulb. You can check that voltage with a DC voltmeter across the bulb. Then tune across a strong stereo station and look to see if the voltmeter reads.

- Pete

That's quite a find. I like the black faced versions. The signal meter lamp is an ordinary fuse lamp and is fairly easy to replace. The stereo lamp may take a little diagnosis. You have to determine if it's the bulb or the source voltage to the bulb. You can check that voltage with a DC voltmeter across the bulb. Then tune across a strong stereo station and look to see if the voltmeter reads.

- Pete

I got the FM stereo lamp to work, i tinkered with it a little and it came on I guess it came loose when I took it home, all I've got to do now is see why the signal meter doesn't move.

I miss understood. I thought the two lamps were out. The signal meter is going to be a little more work. Like the stereo lamp, you can put a DC voltmeter across it and see if it registers a voltage when you tune across stations. That will tell you if the meter itself has failed or if the tuner is not putting out the signal.

- Pete

These past two weeks I had a lot of work to be done, so I'll get around to verifying the meter this weekend.

I miss understood. I thought the two lamps were out. The signal meter is going to be a little more work. Like the stereo lamp, you can put a DC voltmeter across it and see if it registers a voltage when you tune across stations. That will tell you if the meter itself has failed or if the tuner is not putting out the signal.

- Pete

What level of voltage should I look for?

I'm not sure of the voltage value probably 6 to 12v DC. The value is not that important. Just check to see if it's there when you tune across a strong FM stereo station and not there when not on a station. This voltage is controlled by transistor TR8 on the tuner board.

- Pete

Pardon for taking so long to reply, I tested the voltage with a strong station tuned in and got 2.4V.
I guess this meter is history.
I saw one for sale on ebay, gonna give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom