Scored on a Yamaha RXZ-1

Not to long ago I had the chance to pick up a Z11 for $400. Not a steal but I had to pass as the stars didn't align for me. We'll when the wife finally mentioned how she would like a better set up in the tv room (she told me not to go crazy. Lol) then it was time. Slowly it came together as I am a simple man went with a 2.1 set up. I knew I wanted a "old school" totl unit like the Yamaha but sadly I couldn't find one for sale like the deal I saw and had to settle for a Bob Carver Sunfire cinema grand five channel power amp and pre for killer price.
Not bad but I'm on the lookout for that Z11 and wondering if I'll run across it again. Their rare birds for sure as the people who purchased them know what they own. That gent who was selling the Z11 was a affable and I think was a fair asking price. Sigh. But then again if your not careful a person could accumulate thirty receivers in this hobby spanning decades.

Not to long ago I had the chance to pick up a Z11 for $400. Not a steal but I had to pass as the stars didn't align for me. We'll when the wife finally mentioned how she would like a better set up in the tv room (she told me not to go crazy. Lol) then it was time. Slowly it came together as I am a simple man went with a 2.1 set up. I knew I wanted a "old school" totl unit like the Yamaha but sadly I couldn't find one for sale like the deal I saw and had to settle for a Bob Carver Sunfire cinema grand five channel power amp and pre for killer price.
Not bad but I'm on the lookout for that Z11 and wondering if I'll run across it again. Their rare birds for sure as the people who purchased them know what they own. That gent who was selling the Z11 was a affable and I think was a fair asking price. Sigh. But then again if your not careful a person could accumulate thirty receivers in this hobby spanning decades.
That would have been a nice score for the Z11, but like I say if it was meant to be I would have it. The Z1 has excellent amps clean and powerful never run out of steam and I've ran it with my Vandersteen 2ce signature's which are 86db efficient so not the easiest to drive. Im using the Z1 for home theater duty and am about to pick up an Aragon 4004 mkii for two channel duty. I've heard good things about the cinema grand for but for some reason I just never jumped into the Carver ocean.

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
I've gotten a lot of good sound out of my Yamaha DSP-A2070, run in two-channel with DSP effects OFF. An audiobuddy let me try out a preamp (NAD) of his, hoping for a sale, but the preamp section of the 2070 walked all over it. The 2070 feeds the top end of my Vandersteen 2C's, and also controls a 200 wpc power amp which feeds the woofers. Not bad for an HT amp.

I've gotten a lot of good sound out of my Yamaha DSP-A2070, run in two-channel with DSP effects OFF. An audiobuddy let me try out a preamp (NAD) of his, hoping for a sale, but the preamp section of the 2070 walked all over it. The 2070 feeds the top end of my Vandersteen 2C's, and also controls a 200 wpc power amp which feeds the woofers. Not bad for an HT amp.
I'm using my Yamaha RXZ-1 as a pre for my Vandersteen 2ce signature ii's with an Aragon 4004 MKII and the combo is excellent, the Z1 amps are exceptional but the Aragon is just on a whole different level.

Audiofreak71

I'm using my Yamaha RXZ-1 as a pre for my Vandersteen 2ce signature ii's with an Aragon 4004 MKII and the combo is excellent, the Z1 amps are exceptional but the Aragon is just on a whole different level.

Audiofreak71

Same with my V1, amazing amps particularly for a HT receiver but just not at the level of my Bryston ST. No shame there.

Audiofreak71
I had started looking at Aragons particularly an 8008 about a year ago as I was seeing them in the $600-800 on eBay and then boom... they just started climbing into ranges I could not afford.Do tell about your Aragon.

D7AE7796-D8D8-434E-873C-3D4D89F77500.jpeg
I had started looking at Aragons particularly an 8008 about a year ago as I was seeing them in the $600-800 on eBay and then boom... they just started climbing into ranges I could not afford.Do tell about your Aragon.
I came across a deal I couldn't resist and jumped on it. After talking to vandersteen and confirming that the Aragon would be a good match for my 2ce signature's and about all there speakers according to him lol, I got of the phone and confirmed the meeting to pick it up. It's in another world sonically and truly amazing that my speakers could go up a notch or two in sound. Most notably the Soundstage which is extremely deep and wide and the other thing is at low to mid volume the authority to drive my speakers is there, I don't have to turn up the gain to get that little extra. The first 15watts are in class A and it is the sweetest sound I have heard from my setup. Just like most people say about these amps I can concour that they are remarkable, built like tanks and sound quality to back it up, if you see one and it's within your reach, snatch it up quickly but make sure you lift with your legs because at 67lbs it's no lightweight.

Audiofreak71

View attachment 1037237
The first 15watts are in class A and it is the sweetest sound I have heard from my setup.

Wow! I had no idea that the Aragon 4004 MKII was Class A for the first 15 watts? Sweet. Do you know if all of the various Aragon amps run Class A at low power?

Also, I've always wondered how close the Acurus amps were sonically, compared to the Aragon's? Are they babies, or closer to little brothers? But heck, I'd be happy to find the time to get my Hafler DH-500 amp rebuilt! :rolleyes:

Wow! I had no idea that the Aragon 4004 MKII was Class A for the first 15 watts? Sweet. Do you know if all of the various Aragon amps run Class A at low power?

Also, I've always wondered how close the Acurus amps were sonically, compared to the Aragon's? Are they babies, or closer to little brothers? But heck, I'd be happy to find the time to get my Hafler DH-500 amp rebuilt! :rolleyes:
Yeah I didn't know they were class A the first 15watts either until I read an article from a guy who is deep into Aragon products you can find his extensive article on Google as he covers all the Aragon amps and there history in detail, great read and info. Acurus is the sister brand and just under Aragon as far as I've read. As far as how close they are sonically I don't know because I have never compared them side by side, but I will say that Acurus is highly regarded like the Aragons for gar less expensive. I'm extremely happy with my Aragon so far though, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Those Hafler amps are supposed to be beasts as well if I were you I'd get it up and running and enjoy the ride, but if your interested in Aragons try and find a good deal and jump on it.

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
The Aragon's would never leave class A on my Klipsch Bell's. Lol. I've heard so many good things about them.

The Aragon's would never leave class A on my Klipsch Bell's. Lol. I've heard so many good things about them.
I'm really liking the Aragon it's brought my Vandersteens to another level which is what I was trying to achieve, to squeeze that last drop of performance out if them, still not done but I feel I'm moving in the right direction. It would be perfect for your very efficient Bell's and your right would probably never have to switch from class A lol.

Audiofreak71

My goal was an Aragon 8008 or 4004 until I got sidetracked with these uber receivers.Its still my goal but I have to go through these receivers first.Its all good though.

My goal was an Aragon 8008 or 4004 until I got sidetracked with these uber receivers.Its still my goal but I have to go through these receivers first.Its all good though.
I'm never getting rid of my Z1 that's for sure. I'm happy that I went through as many Ubers as I did to see how they stacked up against Seperates and integrated, what I discovered was that there are some ubers that are outstanding and can keep up with some Seperates and out due some as well (the ones I tried, can't account for them all of course). But for the prices some can be had, it would be crazy not to give them a try. I have found the amp that is the one for my Vandersteens though and im going to ride it out for awhile as it is outstanding in its authority over the Vandys and fitness all in one. Definitely a two things up amp.

Audiofreak71

I have a rxv1 and after reading this thread I think I'll hook up a half dozen speakers to iT and leter rip.. Rxv1 is one heavy ditch...

I have a rxv1 and after reading this thread I think I'll hook up a half dozen speakers to iT and leter rip.. Rxv1 is one heavy ditch...
The RXV-1 is an excellent receiver would definitely be worth doing some serious listening with it to see what you think.

Audiofreak71

Is the multi channel use of these dead without HDMI?

My Tv has a optical output and it seems to output 5.1, i only have my JBL L5s. So guess it can extract stereo from the optical cable?

Back
Top Bottom