Scored rough SX-1250...fix, part, toss out?

jay

Hi guys, yesterday I scored a cosmetically ratty Pioneer SX-1250 receiver.

It looks 'ok' from 4 ft. or so, but on close examination the list of flaws is substantial --

The faceplate is heavily scratched and dinged.

The wood case is stained and chipped.

A bass pot shaft is broken off.

Missing two rocker knobs. All other knobs bent slightly.

Missing feet.

Worst of all, the right channel sounds noticeably distorted.

The seller was going to just toss this thing in the dumpster, and I couldn't let that happen! But now that I have it, what do I do with it? It would take an awful lot of work to restore this faded beast, and I'm not up to it.

What do you guys think, part it, throw it or what? Anyone dealt with a project of this scope before? :dunno:

Jay

I would suggest donating it to AK.

Well, whatever you do, don't throw it out. I have an SX-1280 that was damaged in shipping that I'm hoping to find a parts unit that has what I need to fix it up and there are certainly folk with 1250's in the same boat.

If you do decide it's just not worth your trouble let me know or as Grumpy suggests donate it to the cause.

The scrached up faceplate sucks but they pop up occasionally.

Someone more knowledgable then I might comment on the electronics issue.

I'll take the right side wood trim thingy if its in good shape, send a pic if you want. I put a big dent in mine a couple of weeks ago while moving it around :(

I guess whether you should fix it or not depends on if you would be happy with a receiver that doesn't look 100% after its working. And the time it takes to get the parts and repairs done.

Fix it!

Or sell it as a fixer upper,I have rescued a couple recievers from near death to make some fine recievers.Even a case is not totally out of the question.You could part it out and make some cash.A guy recently did that on ebay,but he was not able to sell everything.Only the stuff that goes bad regularly,including the face.Made some cash though.What ever you do ,you will come out on the good end.They are awesome recievers and are worth it even if in sad shape to start with.

I would have to say at least make an honest attempt to fix'er....It really is a shame to see such a beaut in that shape....Sounds like you got it for next to nothing so why not spend some $$$ on it???

Last edited:
Donating that to AK would be the best thing you could do for that SX-1250. After EW and crew get done with it, you won't even recongnize it anymore.

EchoWars - That is really tough. I mean........to my baby?

DanTana - When they get through with it do I they donate it back?

If you donate something you are relinquishing all ownership, so I don't understand if you mean donate it back to you? I think Grumpy has an idea for this, I think I know what it is, but I will not tread in his area. I would PM Grumpy and ask him for details.

Well if its donated to AK it would most likely be used to help AK members bring life back to their ailing Pioneer's

Sometimes we repair and sell or raffle them with the proceeds going to help offset the cost of keeping AK afloat.

Since this one is rather rough the cost of restoring it would be rather large. However since that one has some key parts that could be used by AK for the possible restoration of another we would gladly accept it.

If anyone has a complete or incomplete vintage unit they would care to donate to AudioKarma please feel free to contact Kamakiri,Wardsweb or myself. Thanks

Grumpy

Originally posted by gpdavis2
EchoWars - That is really tough. I mean........to my baby?
Now now...just a little levity.:D

While it could clean up nicely, you really never know until you try. If it were mine, I'd pop the faceplate off and scrub it down real good with light-duty rubbing compound, followed by Meguiars cleaner/wax and see it if looks good enough to be called 'presentable'. If not, perhaps a donation as a parts unit might not be a bad idea.

Some aren't as finicky about cosmetics as I am, so who knows? A decision only the owner can make.

While I don't own one of these, I've always considered the SX-1250 the very best overall example of a TOTL late 70s vintage SS recevier. So while a complete restoration might be very difficult and costly I do have a suggestion or two.

Keep it as a spare parts unit (hanger queen!) while you keep an eye out for a nicer example of a SX-1250. That way you end up with maybe the nicest TOTL recevier of the era and a spare parts unit to support it.

Donate it to AK as a spare parts unit. People can buy parts as they need them and funds will help AK. Price for parts will have to be determined by rarety I guess.

Sell on E-bay as a parts unit or restoration project. It will defintely sell.

Lefty

Originally posted by hotgas
After hearing "donation" so many times Jay is running for cover ... :D

Well without Donations AudioKarma shrivels up and goes away......... Got a better idea ??

No, I don't. I just notice that Jay has not come back for a while and wonder why. Well, I'd suggest him to disassemble it and put on Epay. Now thanks to my suggestion he'd donate 10% what he's gonna make to AK. Does that sound reasonable Jay? ;) That machine when dissassembled and ebayed can give you >$100.

Heeheehee, Jay isn't running for cover, just rebounding from a three day long hard disc reformat and OS reinstall!

My thanks to everyone for offering suggestions about the 1250...I'm starting to see what it is about these that so many of you guys like. The power, the fine tuner, the effortless sound, the looks, it's all so manly!

A familiar problem is popping up in that I'm starting to become smitten with this big receiver. I've never had one this powerful, and even in it's beaten state it's punch and presence come through mightily -- indeed, I have been wanting something with lots of horsepower to "wake up" my JBL 4333's, and I can clearly hear that if this Pioneer was in it's prime it would be a tough contender..."the magnificent 160 wpc receiver class" is how Bully I think it was, phrased it.

Anyway, this brings on a new complication - emotionally, I want to keep and fix this thing, even though it isn't practical, and make it the "number 1" of my vintage pieces. Perhaps selling it and using the $$ as a kick start fund toward scoring a super nice one would be best.

Conclusion: it isn't wise to become attached with stuff that's has to be sold, 'don't get high on your own supply', etc.

Dangit!!! :)

Jay

Back
Top Bottom