1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Scotch 203 open reel tape - any good?

Discussion in 'Tape' started by FAB1, Jan 22, 2010.

1. FAB1

FAB1 playing with the big toys

Saw a few unopened reels of this at a flea mkt. (cheap) - just checking to see if anyone has any experience with it as to what its like, what machines it matches well with.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

That tape ws the standard back in the 1960s.
    Many decks were set up for it from the factory.
    That being said, I still prefer Maxell, but if they're like a buck or two, they're certainly worth a try.

3. hwirt

hwirt Super Member

My Sony TC355, 1970 vintage was biased for Scotch 203. Unless your using a deck of this vintage it may not be optimum. 203 performed very well on my old Sony.

4. 70salesguy

70salesguy Only 99 easy payments!

5. Ed in Tx

Ed in Tx Super Member

One difference I remember between 203 and 207 was the 207 had the flat black back-coating. I have a few old 7" 207s in the hard plastic cases, they a foam pad inside the lid that touches against the reel and tape, and over the years the pads have turned to sticky black goo and gotten onto the reels and tape... :tears: quite a mess.

6. FAB1

FAB1 playing with the big toys

Well I have some older machines and some newer ones - the 203 is polybase I do not believe it is b/c. If I get back over there I might grab one just to test it. Thanks all.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Numistrek09

Numistrek09 Super Member

Don't know if this helps, but's here's what Scotch says of the tapes.

Scotch 203:
    Introduced in 1962 with a black polyester base. Total thickness 1.43 mils, no backcoating. Magnetic properties, Remanence 0.64, Coercivity 315, Retentivity 790

Scotch 207:
    Introduced in 1969 with a black polyester base. Total thickness 1.51 mils, backcoated. Magnetic properties, Remanence 0.93, Coercivity 320, Retentivity 1050

8. AAA3330

AAA3330 Super Member

9. jwrosenthal

jwrosenthal AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use 201, 203, 177, 207, 206 (of the 3m line LP35 and UD 35-180 for BASF and Maxell) on my Revox A77 and Tandberg 4000X and they all are slightly different in sonic characteristics, but excellent reliable tape. I would buy any of the Scotch 200 series (except the 226 which suffered from the dreaded SSS) if you see it cheap enough.

Short answer, go back to that flea and buy all of it provided it hasn't been sitting in a moldy basement (smell it) or hot attic (if package is open, look for the heat wrinkles) for the past 30 years. Try a tape or two on your machine, with different sources (CD and LP etc) and see if it gives you the flavor you like. If not, offer it here to the group for what you paid + shipping and I'm sure it will go quickly!

James R.

10. Hwy61

Hwy61 Member

I know this is an old thread but it might be helpful to R2R guys who stumble across old Scotch tapes. I bought 85 assorted 7" reels at a Salvation Army recently for $25 and among them were 15 or so Scotch 203 & 207. I have played and recorded several on my Team X1000R and they work fine. They don't sound as bright as some of the 10.5" Maxell UD XL reels I have, but for the money they work just fine for my purposes....Someone earlier asked why would anyone cut corners on tape? Given the price of new stuff $80 for a 10.5" reel it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that we might use it...particularly when we find it for 50 cents a 7' reel or less.... Although I might have to clean the heads sooner rather than later, I doubt seriously it will ruin the heads...