Scotch Tape on EMIM Diaphragm?

Bobbyd38

AVA • American Vintage Audio
Should an EMIM driver diaphragm have scotch tape on either side of the ribbons?
I Opened one up and discovered this, not sure if it’s OEM, or if somebody did it afterwards?
Thanks,
Bob

No, it shouldn't. Maybe the traces were peeling and the previous owner put it there to prevent the problem from getting worse?

emim-frt-m[1].jpg

If you're referring to the center 2 traces that appear less wrinkly but duller in appearance, that is because there is Scotch tape on those traces. Yes, this was very common. You will find many EMIMs like this. The earliest EMIMs (early RS2.5 and 4.5 varieties) did not have it. Later, as things progressed to the RS 1/1b's, middle IRS series, RSIIa/b, pretty much all of them had diaphragms taped down the middle. I presume this was done to add just a bit of mass to the diaphragm or help control a certain resonance property. Later, when the neodymium-based EMIMs started to come out on the IRS V's, Beta's, etc. the tape seemed to go away again.

However, if this isn't what you're talking about, then maybe it was a repair attempt or something else. If this is what you have, don't try to pull the tape off. You'll very likely ruin the diaphragm.
G~

Last edited:
My RSIIb have tape from factory, RS2.5 do not. It keeps them together. The center traces were probably blowing out and infinity added the tape on the later ones to get more miles out of them. Or as Geoff said to add some mass.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom