Scott 222D Bad Output Transformers

tube-a-lou

Addicted Member
Hi all,

Is it worth buying a Scott 222D amp with 2 blown output transformers, does anyone know
the cost of a good rewind, just thinking about it at least the PT is good!

Thanks

It would depend on the price, whether it comes with tubes, condition etc... Are they certain the transformers are bad?

If it's in otherwise good shape and it's cheap, you could buy aftermarket replacements, and readjust the FB loops and have a nice unit

Depends greatly on the price. If you're going to end up into it for more than one with good transformers in similar shape, I'd say that deal is a dud.

Over $100.00 plus $100.00 shipping, It's not like I don't have amps I don't have a collection like a lot
of you guy's here. I have three Eico HF81, Fisher KX200 and a X202C so I don't know where a Scott
would fit in to this set-up or if I need it but it's there.

Not to "Rain on your parade", tend to agree with the comments against that price. The 222D is a very nice amplifier, and it came in more than one style panel. It also had huge output transformers and was similar if not identical (electronically) to the LK-48B. If you want an amplifier like the 222D, I would be more patient and pass on this one.

Looks like they go for between $400-$600 on "The Auction Site".

$100 shipping? Yikes - without OPTs? Agree with the above comments, plus they come up fairly often.

I'm also going to throw some water on the fire of any potential purchase consideration here. A 222D can be had WITH tubes and WITH transformers for about $450+/-. If you back the $200 you'd pay for that amp without those items, you'd have $250 with which to buy about $150 worth of tubes and about $150+++ worth of output transformers. I might mention that part of the 'mojo' of the 'D' was it's larger (and considered by some to be 'superior') output transformers. While aftermarket iron is readily available, finding something comparable to the 'original' Scott iron won't be either easy or cheap. I'd guess that something of that caliber could easily cost well over $100 each. Then add to this the cost of all the work to actually get the amp back together and working again......and to me, at a $200 acquisition price for this amp in that condition...... it's about $100 too much. Just my humble opinion.......... WC

Randy, correct me if I'm wrong, is that price just to re-wind 'original' transformers, or is that for complete replacement units? I'm reading it as a 're-wind' service.....but it just may be the rather 'cryptic' aspect of the web site.

T-a-L....... as you can see, you could be WELL into this amp.......possibly upwards of $600.......... and still find yourself having to do additional resto work, ie filter caps, coupling caps, and possibly some additional resistors in there some where. Then there's the issue of the switches and controls......???? I think you're far better off to go find a 'functional' 222D some place and buy it vs this one. For that matter, any 222 as they're all pretty close. If I had to do a blind listening test to an early 299, an 'A', 'B', or any of the four 222s, I sincerely doubt I could tell any real difference. Scott built a pretty good amp.....and while that circuit did get tweaked, enhanced, and refined, I think in general, it was a 'really good' amp in the first place.

Tom, that's what I wondered also! Can't see it worth the time to unwind and clean old cores, but who knows?

Randy, I imagine they have a pretty sophisticated method to 'de-wind' a transformer where they already have 're-wind' specs. I can envision anything from some kind of laser slicer to a disc-cutter. They could probably just saw it off with a hack saw if they wanted to. I've got to believe the secrete is in the re-wind technique. And, if you think about it, using dead transformers and their cores is just another cost-savings aspect of all this. Heyboer has a lot of specs in their files, though I don't know if they have the 222D transformer specifically. In talking with Phil Heyboer in the past he's told me that they go to some pretty pains-taking efforts in order to 'de-wind' an original transformer in order to duplicate it upon 're-wind'. They might have something already.

Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow, I just had them build a new power transformer for me a few months
ago, it was for a Epiphone Galaxie Guitar amp the original was burnt out and they built me a new one
(they were the original OEM for Gibson)

If you're patient you can probably find a set of transformers on eBay for under $200/pair. Still not worth it, in my opinion, but a better deal.

Should you decide to jump on the amp and then just sit on it for a while, an alternative to the original OTs might be to find an old Heathkit AA-151 which has some pretty good iron in it......and see if you can't shoe-horn that into the Scott amp. Might take some creative mounting, but in the end I think the amp would sound right-close to what the original 222D did. There might be some other amps out there as well that have some substantial output transformers in them where using them as 'donors' for this amp might make it a more worthwhile investment. Just a thought..............

There is a pair of Scott 8k outputs right now on the auction site: probably came from a 299A or B.

Back
Top Bottom