Scott 299b no magic

The Scott 299B is a wonderful-sounding tube amp, love mine. But it did not sing until I had given it a top-to-bottom restoration. The real problem is that there are very few techs that understand how to properly restore these, most techs I have seen on youtube are glorified board monkeys and ignorant guitar amp fixers. You see this all the time on eBay where the seller says "the amp works fine, my tech just had to replace a tube, blah, blah, blah...", you know that seller doesn't know shit! To say it is probably a tube is probably wrong, while output tubes do go bad, most problems are caps and resistors. I would have a COMPETENT tech check it out, guessing the cathode bypass caps are still all original, which affects the sound, and/or the phase inverter stage is all hincky and will need to be rebuilt, I find that the P.I. seems to go out often on Scott's and will need all new resistors, voltage checks on that stage will determine that.

IMG_0752.JPG IMG_0751.JPG IMG_0750.JPG

I post a few photos, I will take Scott for verification tomorrow. I think I will sell it and buy a 340B, 345 or 380 receiver. Are the receivers just as good sonically as 299b?

Last edited:
All the old caps need to go for starters, like now.

The job on the rectifier does not look professional, just saying. Some pretty easy updates will get this sounding and running so much better you will want to keep it.

It's possible that the varistors were installed because he has a 6P14P tube.
My bad. I looked better at those black discs, and i can see a .02 on it, which means that they are just .02 uf disc caps. So, they are the coupling caps in the phono section. Anyway, not the best sounding part and probably not really related to your problem. So, ignore that varistor comments. And just concentrate on checking the voltages and look to rebuild.
If you want to check out the schematic....
http://www.hhscott.com/pdf/sd/299B_3_4s.JPG

Did anyone do any "capacitor upgrades" on this unit. Because I've seen and heard a few old stereos where poorly selected capacitors were used and did cause that "clinical or dead" sound.

I need to verify it tomorrow. I'm green like parsley and just start with the tube. Thanks for your support and help.

From the pictures it looks like its bone stock. Get it rebuilt and enjoy. I wouldn't run it as is, your inviting disaster.

BillWojo

Like already said: a recap is in order as the old caps and resistors are probably a little tired...

Can I make such a recap on new resistors and caps produced now or do I have to look for new unused from the era?

Don't use old caps or resistors, new production (orange or yellow drops) will suffice. Old caps even if unused are past their life expectancy...

If you decide to go on yourself with the restoration job, you'll find plenty of help here on the forum. I did my first resto job on a Scott LK-72 with help from here back in 2009. In original shape, it was humming, crackling and distorting. Worth the effort.

Yeah....you just need a total recapping job and the unit will sounds infinitely better. Everything looks stock except for the rectifier. Whoever did the rectifier also forgot to add a dropping resistor so the bias current is likely to be way off which probably isn't helping matters either.

Row with the oars you have and get this unit properly recapped. If you swap it for a 340B or some other unit you are likely to have the same problem again unless you buy something that has been totally recapped. In the long run it will be cheaper to fix what you have.

Go after the Pyramid IMPS before any disc capacitors. Yes, I don't like discs in the audio path but those IMPS are from the late 50s, most likely paper and leaky.

I see that the bias rectifier has been replaced. What about the filters?

And, the resistors were probably Allen-Bradley. Before any wholesale replacement, check them. They are often still good. Scott used 1-watt resistors where other manufactures used ½-watt/

After a long analysis, I came to the following conclusions, this tube charm depends on the version, the construction of the amplifier Scott. I compared model 222b, 2x 222c, 299b. The most charmingly played is model 222b, then 222c and finally 299b. However, model 299b plays the most correct, clean and natural.
I also had the opportunity to compare the above amplifiers with the Scott 340b and 380 receivers (also vs Fisher 400, 500c and 800c).

Those IMP caps are certainly bad, leaky paper caps. rebuild this amp. and it will shine. I have an LK-48 which is the kit version of the 299b with some small changes. Once I rebuilt it, its now one of my favorites. Plenty of Bass there. Big output trannys.

After a long analysis, I came to the following conclusions, this tube charm depends on the version, the construction of the amplifier Scott. I compared model 222b, 2x 222c, 299b. The most charmingly played is model 222b, then 222c and finally 299b. However, model 299b plays the most correct, clean and natural.
I also had the opportunity to compare the above amplifiers with the Scott 340b and 380 receivers (also vs Fisher 400, 500c and 800c).

I'm curious, was your 'long analysis' based on listening to all of these various models yourself? If so, were they in comparable (restored) condition? Were other variables (sources, speakers, room) that affect sound eliminated?

Or is this just what you've concluded based on reading other peoples' opinions on the internet, possibly with no way to tell the condition of the units they were hearing? If the latter, I wouldn't put much weight on it.

I have a few Scotts, including a fully restored 299b and an unrestored 222b. Based on the pics you posted, your unit has had almost no work done on it. It looks like all the film caps and all the resistors are original. I'm guessing that all the electrolytic caps are also original since they left that brown tubular one in there. I think that's a cathode bypass cap and those tubular caps are, in my experience, always waaay out of spec if not totally dead. I see a few silver mica caps that look like replacements and the black .02 ceramics, which seem to be the coupling caps, might be replacements. Most restorers would not use ceramics as coupling caps, they would use a good quality film cap, a PIO or maybe even something more exotic.

Anyway, in its current, mostly unrestored, condition it's impossible to evaluate the sound quality of this particular amp. Obviously, the differing levels of "tube charm" possessed by different amps is highly subjective. If you're lucky enough to have heard all of the models you mention I don't doubt you heard some differences and, like anyone, may prefer one over another.

Not sure how you analyzed all the Scott amplifiers you mention. When it comes right down to it the entire Scott integrated amplifier line is more similar than different. The circuits are all closely related with the main differences being maximum power along with bells and whistles. I've rebuilt thousands of them and listened to every single one of those. They all sound darn good when done.
The big problem with folks comparing all the various models today is each one has a 50+ year differing history and also could be in varying degrees of disrepair.
By the way one of my all time favorites is the 299B.....but any of them need a proper rebuilding to perform as intended after 50+ years. Your 299B has one single component replaced and it was not done properly so I'm not surprised you find it lacking magic

So, Janko, after everyone here tried to help you with your amplifier, I was wondering what ever came of it? Just curious. I have a collection of H.H. Scott amplifiers that are keepers, including a 299b.

Yes 299b, it's the best, the most natural, well-balanced sound but I miss this charming sound, which is in 222a, a little less this charming sound in 222c. The Scott 340b model is very good, its 222c character has a smooth, charming sound, great high and super bass, Scott 380 is more rock, fast. Something between 222c and 299b is Scott 299a. But Fisher 500c and 800c is King :) I also had Fisher 400 but he plays like Scott 299a. Sherwood S8000 is very interesting, has a very charming sound, maybe more intriguing than Scott but a little music sounds like in the distance. I will write yet how I will listen about: Harman Kardon TA5000X, Harman Kardon A500, Sherwood S5000 / 5500, Knight KN735, Bogen DB212. Each of these amplifiers is nicer and has a more interesting sound than Chinese amplifiers.

Back
Top Bottom