Scott tube gear- which one to keep?

I think that your a winner no matter which one you keep. They all look like they are in great condition.
:lurk:

I cant really help you make that decision. Just needed to say that I wish I had this exact same problem. Nice equipment.

Tube Amp dr sells a version of the GE short bottle 6L6GC. I have used them and they are excellent. No affiliation. I used the European home page to avoid favoring any US distributors.

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/sho...GE_Style_black_plate_TAD_PREMIUM_Matched_2819

You guys are really overcomplicating things, you can fit KT66s in there -

D042.jpg

I'd keep 2 the 296 & 399. Sell the 299 and buy a Scott or Pilot 6BQ5 amp. For me that's the best sounding vintage tube amps out there.

Or keep the 296 sell the other two and use the money to search out and buy a LK 150 and matching LC-21 pre

Nice score. What is the story?
Yep the 296 is a keeper!

The usual....90 year old single man in a crappy home died. He had a lot of gear, a Steinway in the living room, but wall plasters were falling apart, and the kitchen was right out of the ‘50s. The lady was selling the content of the house for the sister. The junky house that’s falling apart is worth over a million dollars, just because it’s in the Bay Area....

The 399 is a great sounding amp but the tuner is not true stereo despite the Stereomaster handle. It is binaural stereo which is not the same and no longer supported.

The 399 was designed to support an external MPX decoder. A Scott 355 (or its kit sibling), a Fisher MPX-100, one of the modern little solid state decoders, etc. will all easily convert that FM tuner to true stereo.

The usual....90 year old single man in a crappy home died. He had a lot of gear, a Steinway in the living room, but wall plasters were falling apart, and the kitchen was right out of the ‘50s. The lady was selling the content of the house for the sister. The junky house that’s falling apart is worth over a million dollars, just because it’s in the Bay Area....

Yeah, neighbor, I know what you mean !

If you work on gear, PM me bc I have a friend who looks for tech savvys every now and then. My stuff is already restored.

You know most people of that era , post WW2, had a different idea, of appearance. In other words they really did not care about having the latest sneakers, expensive cars, fancy clothes. But to their credit they left to their offspring things worth more than a flashy car, like hanging on to some expensive real estate. Obviously he was a person of good tastes, but not such a handyman.

I’ll put in a vote for the 299. I’ve owned the same version for 40 years, most of that time in storage. I restored it a few years ago, but never really used it. But a couple of months ago I got a pair of Altec 604Es. I hooked them up to the Scott just to test them out, and am astonished at how good the combo sounds. Very smooth and natural sounding, with decent bass and plenty of volume. Of course, 17 Watts/ch should be plenty for the Altecs- I doubt the Scott would do as well with my Martin Logans.

However, I’ve never heard the 296 or 399, so those could be even better.

My Fisher 400 came from a house like that. It was hidden in a closet on a shelf covered with an inch of dust. Speaker wires went through the ceiling into the living room where there were a pair of custom built speakers. The elderly man that lived in the house listened to a lot of Glenn Miller and other big band stuff. The house exterior had the worst paint job. Flaking paint had simply been painted over repeatedly to hide the fact that it was flaking. The interior paint had been neglected too. House is now remodeled with vinyl siding.

I HAD 2 Scott 208 amps and a 6l6 converted 340 in the past.the 208 power transformers ran hot.pretty nice sound for cheap,25 years ago.too bad the prices are high, but not ridiculous yet.

Back
Top Bottom