Scouring The Globe - Remote Cable

supertack

Hello all.
I recently picked up an RG-900R equalizer to go with my A1200 amp & other components that I purchased back in '85. The equalizer didn't come with the remote control cable (flat 5 pin male lead at both ends) that enables the amp to switch functions (ie. tuner, phono, aux, ect) or control the tuner pre-sets. I've done extensive Yahoo/Google searches for vintage audio shops that might have such an animal, but so far zilch. Likewise, I've had no success finding an outlet (such as Radio Shack) that could construct one. It's hard to imagine that cable being such a precious commodity, but I honestly have not had any luck. I was wondering if someone in this community might know of a source to get one of these, or better yet, have one they'd be willing to sell. Thanks for the help.

Does anybody even know what I'm talking about? It's hard to image Sansui only using this type of application on one run of components.

This problem occurs with computer hardware a lot.

It's quite likely that the connectors already existed and Sansui used easily-ordered parts. Unfortunately, every company came up with their own standard, cables, and connector choice for things like this (though most used off-the-shelf wire and connectors).

If the cable can't be located (which seems to be the case), you might consider building your own. Not necessarily easy, but it may be that the connectors could be located at a good computer/electronics supply, and then all you would need to do is construct the actual cable. Are you able to post a good picture of the connector or the jack on the back of one of the components?

I'm fairly sure that this cable would have pin one at one end goes to pin one at the other end (and the same through pin five), which would mean that the cable couldn't be hooked up backwards. This diagram shows the orientation of the jacks on the back of the components in the pattern I'm thinking of, seen from above:

1 2 3 4 5

[cable]

5 4 3 2 1

joel

Joel,

Lemme take a pic of the terminal @ the back of the eq & amp and post it. Maybe if you get a look at it, you'll be able to tell me where to start. I thought about making one, but I wasn't even able to find connectors that would fit this terminal. I did locate a 5 pin connecter; however it was much larger than what Sansui was using.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom