Scrapple. Do you like it?

Do you like scrapple?

• Yes, I go out of my way to have it!

• It's OK, but I don't go out of my way for it.

• I have consumed it only to be polite but didn't really enjoy it.

• I will never try it again and felt that it was pretty nasty.

• It made me puke!

• I have never tried it but it sounds yummy and I will seek it out!

• I have never tried it and never will, it sounds disgusting.

Results are only viewable after voting.

stupidhead

aka Ratdogheads
Subscriber
So I was born in Reading PA, and have a fair number of family in and around the Philadelphia area. I was introduced to scrapple early in life and have always enjoyed it.
For those not familiar, scrapple is a breakfast meat alternative. In the realm of sausage or corned beef hash. It is a by product of pork processing and as the name suggests, the "scraps", after all the good stuff is cut out of the pig, is ground down to moosh and spices and corn meal are added and then formed into a small loaf and frozen. It can be tricky to cook because once thawed it really doesn't hold it's form, but once you develop a technique it is do-able.

A quick story about it, one of my cousin's had business at Hatfield slaughter house many years ago, and spoke with an old timer about the preparation of scrapple. His description of what was in there was "everything but the squeal".

I've never eaten it, but I'm an adventurous sort and I wouldn't mind trying it. I've eaten plenty of pig parts over the years, so a few odd pieces should taste good. I eat hot dogs which probably has the same kind of stuff in it.

I grew up in Maryland and we used to have it for breakfast on the weekends.

Crispy goodness on the outside and tender goodness on the inside...unless mom overcooked it to be crispy thru and thru. :biggrin:

Scrapple is great! Another thing that makes Fluffeeya Fluffeeya. Up there with hoagies and cheesesteaks!

Fry it up until the skin is crispy and but the interior is soft. Serve with ketchup or maple syrup. Fry up some eggs to go with the scrapple.

Repeat as necessary!

Not a fan. Tasted like liver flavored soggy cornbread. I don't like liver, and I don't like my cornbread soggy.

So I was born in Reading PA, and have a fair number of family in and around the Philadelphia area. I was introduced to scrapple early in life and have always enjoyed it.
For those not familiar, scrapple is a breakfast meat alternative. In the realm of sausage or corned beef hash. It is a by product of pork processing and as the name suggests, the "scraps", after all the good stuff is cut out of the pig, is ground down to moosh and spices and corn meal are added and then formed into a small loaf and frozen. It can be tricky to cook because once thawed it really doesn't hold it's form, but once you develop a technique it is do-able.

A quick story about it, one of my cousin's had business at Hatfield slaughter house many years ago, and spoke with an old timer about the preparation of scrapple. His description of what was in there was "everything but the squeal".

Love scrapple.

Frozen? Last time I bought it when visiting family (Baltimore) it wasn't in the frozen food section.

Below the Mason-Dixon line it's the oink that's missing. :thumbsup:

Love scrapple.

Frozen? Last time I bought it when visiting family (Baltimore) it wasn't in the frozen food section.

Below the Mason-Dixon line it's the oink that's missing. :thumbsup:

I hear you, but frozen is where I start with it. The day before put it in the fridge so it is still slightly frozen and way easier to slice than when totally thawed and mooshy.

I have fond memories of eating scrapple for breakfast when I lived in Pennsylvania Deutsch country. I lived in Womelsdorf. The restaurant down the street was called "Guten Essen" (Good Eats). Scrapple is good stuff! We fried it until it was nice and crispy outside and soft and tasty inside.

Back
Top Bottom