Screwed up - could use a little help on my 2220b

burlyb

In the past, I've done a "light restoration" on a couple of my Marantz receivers - caps, transistors, bias/dc - simple stuff like that. I have a slightly poorly taken care of 2220b that's been run 8 hours a day in my office for 5 years. It's had some repairs in the past, the FM drifts after a few hours and the volume is scratchy. I decided to freshen up the caps in the power supply and filter caps, regrease output transistors, reset dc offset and bias and basically clean it up a bit.

It's been a few years since I worked on my other amps and I did a bonehead thing and reversed a filter cap. Obviously it blew the main fuse and I discovered it and re-installed correctly. (I also subconsciously laid my soldering iron across a finger as penance). Piling on my bonehead mistake, I powered up with my dim bulb tester and it showed a dim bulb....but the bulb never dimmed out. I powered it up without anyway and blew the fuse. No smoke or pops. Face lamps lit up for a second, speaker protection relay never clicked and it went dark after about a second.

Now it powers up, but I've lost the right channel. I pulled all output transistors and they all check fine. Before I butchered this thing, it was always a bit touchy with the volume control. I cleaned it and other pots with contact cleaner, but still nothing. A tiny bit of static as I turn the volume up toward max. Mono works from both speakers. I went ahead and adjusted DC offset to 0mVDC and bias to 20mVDC on both channels using the correct pots (not per the service manual). They were quite a bit off.

Do I look at the controls further, did I cook the filter cap when reversed and/or should I look closer at the power amp board for other failures? I reversed a power supply cap on a previous receiver and it cooked a resistor, but this one showed no obvious displeasure. I'm beyond my analytical abilities.

Thanks.

Bryan

The fact that the Rxr plays ok in mono indicates the power supply should be OK.
Test points included below for measurement.

Check switch continuity by measuring resistance between Left AUX-RCA and pin
JE01 on tone board. Repeat for right AUX-RCA and pin JE01. The input selector
needs to be set to AUX. Readings should be about the same +/-20%. No reading
open circuit indicates a problem.

Assume you've verified problem is same for other inputs.

Power supply voltages as per the service manual.
J804...30V (or abouts)
J803...-30V
J812...35V
J808...14V
J814... 7.2V
J815...7.4V

Visually check the power supply board for any charred componets

Got it - thanks! Didn't verify other inputs beyond AM/FM but will do so. Also, I did scrutinize the PS board and there are no crispy bits. There were no bad fizzles, pops, smoke or smells when the fuse blew. Will go over your instructions tonight.

Checked all inputs and I get an open circuit on the right AUX(and others)-RCA to JE02. No reading. FWIW, I hooked up a speaker to just the right channel and it does play, but very lightly and with no base.

Power supply voltages check out except J808 is 13.6V. J815, according to the schematic is supposed to be 7V AC - which it is. Not sure if it means anything, but resistor R805 is super hot.

Also, forgot to mention in the original list of stuff I replaced, I also put in a new speaker protection relay MY-02 24VDC.

Thanks.
Bryan

Last edited:
I get an open circuit on the right AUX(and others)-RCA to JE02. No reading.
Means you need to clean the switches and controls (volume etc...) This is the reason for the bad right channel.

R805 is super hot.
Don't ignore. Measure its resistance, expect 22k, you may need to unsolder one leg and lift out of circuit.
An incircuit measurement may give you a misleading result in this case. It should be running at about
one third of a watt.

Thanks for your assistance. I'll pull the resistor and check. More cleaning of all controls too!

Was the tape monitor switch. Previous amps I disassembled and cleaned these, but I was a bit lazy here. Chalk up another "failure" fixed by cleaning.

Means you need to clean the switches and controls (volume etc...) This is the reason for the bad right channel.

Don't ignore. Measure its resistance, expect 22k, you may need to unsolder one leg and lift out of circuit.
An incircuit measurement may give you a misleading result in this case. It should be running at about
one third of a watt.
says 330 ohms in this schematic

Back
Top Bottom