Scroed a Clairtone T405 Console - Anyone Have Info?

Johnny_Law

AK Member
Subscriber
Edit: Sorry anyone looking at this in the future hoping for a success story. I wound up making the call that I was in over my head, and bailed. This console went to a gentleman in Santa Cruz who owns a shop that specializes in restoring consoles. I am hopeful that it will get restored to its former glory someday!

I can't find anything on this thing! If you know any information / have any documentation or service manuals for the Clairtone "T 405" model, please post!

Backstory is that non-tinkerer friends of mine in San Francisco have been asking me to grab a console if I ever find one, for their small apartment in the outer sunset. So I grabbed this unit from the local classifieds not knowing anything about it - turns out there's very little info online about the Clairtone consoles other than the fancy G's.

So I'm looking for information on how to service the main unit, and how to service the Garrard Type A that's in there. Schematics, parts lists, anything! Hopefully AK can help me in my time to shine!

Equipment:
- walnut cabinet
- solid state transistor XB7 main unit
- Garrard Type A record player
- EMI oval speakers

Dangerous symptoms:
- I get shocked when I touch most bare metal things on the console including the record player
- I can't find an "on/off" switch, it seems to stay on as long as it's plugged in

Playback symptoms:
- Very dirty and scratchy pots under the knobs
- No FM reception, just static, although it sounds like something is trying to charge up / discharging in the background?
- It'll play music with an RCA cable from an outside source and sounds pretty clean (my phone playing tidal via the tape monitor RCA jacks) It seems to have a solid state amp - as you can see from the pics

Record player:
- Spun a little at first but won't stay on
- shocks me when I touch any metal parts

Last edited:
What you have is very high quality, for the era. And is equipped with those Dangerous EMI speakers (Dangerously good in their advertising) and a Garrard changer. A cut above most such consoles.

What you have is very high quality, for the era. And is equipped with those Dangerous EMI speakers (Dangerously good in their advertising) and a Garrard changer. A cut above most such consoles.

Thank you! I am looking forward to getting this 100% cleaned up, re-finished, and back in action. I have high hopes.

Last edited:
Did some research, pretty sure this is a mid-60's "Princess" variant

74552279_f77bb21421_o.jpg

http://flickrhivemind.net/flickr_hv...ifi&originput=clairtone,hifi&search_type=Tags

Any ideas? With no service information I am trying to decode all the electrolytic / transistor values manually to find replacements.

First are the big Sprague electrolytics. The MFD must mean uF, but I am unsure of what VW and VS mean.

Next are the transistors, there are several varieties.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom