Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner for cleaning vinyl with amazing results.

Why do you always state the same thing? Why would anyone bother to clean records that are beat to hell?

I clean every record that I buy (VG+ and up only), taking it from a good player to a record that is dead silent about 85% of the time.

Yes, cleaning your records really does make a difference. And no, I don't need to consult a religious leader from Haiti.
It makes almost no difference with a thrift store record that is scratched to all getup. An alternative is to reduce resonance, such as a tonearm sub chassis with rubber dampening, or a conical stylus with a carbon fiber cantilever. That will make more of a difference in playing such vinyl than scrubbing it will.

If a record is "scratched to all getup", it's best to just leave it where it lies in the thrift store.

This is a discussion that won't make any meaningful progress. You are going to get the same diatribe over and over. It's why its called a troll. You should just save your energy. Best to ignore posts than get caught up in a meaningless discussion. Ignoring posts is really the only way to deal with folks like this. Which is why I won't contribute a detailed post to this conversation.

Regards
Mister Pig

What is causing a lot of the noise people are trying to reduce is not dust and dirt.

I'm sure this is common - some records are just too damaged to rescue. I'll say that in my case, I have 3 (of the 8 or so that I've cleaned with SB) that may be beyond cleaning but not because of scratches. Two went from the surface noise being louder than the music to surface noise being not-quite-as-loud as the music - playable but not really enjoyable. I have a feeling that these may have been played too much while dirty and it is ground into the surface. It will be much less expensive for me to find a better copy of these than purchase a proper RCM. I'm sure I'll purchase one down the road but my collection is currently 95% thrift store, flea market and antique mall purchases so I don't mind being cheap for a while. SB won't touch my new or very nice used records - just the ones that really need some rehab.

This version looks pretty safe http://www.scrubbingbubbles.com/Pro...+scrubbing +bubbles +bathroom +multi +surface

Here is the MSDS https://enlight.consumercare.net/scripts/enlight.wsc/scj/kb/1607/17810543_1425996196
https://enlight.consumercare.net/scripts/enlight.wsc/scj/kb/1607/17810543_1425996196
Ingredients are Alcohols, C10 - 14, ethoxylated and Lactic acid
from Human & Environmental Risk Assessment on ingredients of European household cleaning products: "Alcohol ethoxylates (AE) are a major class of non-ionic surfactants which are widely used in laundry detergents and to a lesser extent in household cleaners"
from wikipedia: "Lactic acid has gained importance in the detergent industry the last decade. It is a good descaler, soap-scum remover, and a registered anti-bacterial agent. It is also economically beneficial as well as part of a trend toward environmentally safer and natural ingredients."

Almost sounds like a formula for record cleaning solution

This version looks pretty safe http://www.scrubbingbubbles.com/Products/Pages/multisurface-bathroom-cleaner.aspx?cid=SEM_G_+scrubbing +bubbles +bathroom +multi +surface

Here is the MSDS https://enlight.consumercare.net/scripts/enlight.wsc/scj/kb/1607/17810543_1425996196
Ingredients are Alcohols, C10 - 14, ethoxylated and Lactic acid
from Human & Environmental Risk Assessment on ingredients of European household cleaning products: "Alcohol ethoxylates (AE) are a major class of non-ionic surfactants which are widely used in laundry detergents and to a lesser extent in household cleaners"
from wikipedia: "Lactic acid has gained importance in the detergent industry the last decade. It is a good descaler, soap-scum remover, and a registered anti-bacterial agent. It is also economically beneficial as well as part of a trend toward environmentally safer and natural ingredients."

Almost sounds like a formula for record cleaning solution

Um, yeah, pH 2.4. Ever see how crafters etch designs on plastics with acids? Doesnt take much below pH 3 to get a really good etching. Furthermore, the acid breakdown of PVC-PVA polymers is autocatalytic: once you initiate it with acid, it continues by itself over time.

Why don't you just use a pure, neutral solution of AE detergent like Tergitol or Triton?

Ok, I have been following this since the beginning, and congrats of making it to 18 pages. :beerchug: I have a stack of records that even though they look mint are in the pile because I have never been able to get rid of the clicks pop, etc, so I used a variation by making the records wet, then spayed with the scubbing bubbles the washed with a wet brush diluting it further. a strong fiushing with my normal rinse solution, and guess what! The first 4 records are improved by at least 90%. They will now go back into rotation after a normal cleaning using my normal method, to remove any chemical residuals. Looking through my stack of albums put aside or replaced with re-issues right now. I always have been open minded in all areas of audio -
Closed Minds miss Audio Opportunities! IMHO
Regards,
Jim

I used a variation by making the records wet, then spayed with the scubbing bubbles the washed with a wet brush diluting it further. a strong fiushing with my normal rinse solution, and guess what! The first 4 records are improved by at least 90%. They will now go back into rotation after a normal cleaning using my normal method, to remove any chemical residuals. Looking through my stack of albums put aside or replaced with re-issues right now. I always have been open minded in all areas of audio -
Closed Minds miss Audio Opportunities! IMHO

We can't hear audio by reading and making assumptions, one should always try and get their hands dirty and hands on....no other way to hear anything in the audio world.

Personally I try to do the least aggressive with all my records even to the point of not washing unless really needed.

We can't hear audio by reading and making assumptions, one should always try and get their hands dirty and hands on....no other way to hear anything in the audio world.

Personally I try to do the least aggressive with all my records even to the point of not washing unless really needed.

I agree, but as these were out of the rotation already why not give it a try?
Regards,
Jim

I agree, but as these were out of the rotation already why not give it a try?

For sure graduate your cleaning methods, I for one will try at least 4 different ways and two machines. Most common titles I don't trip to much as I buy far to many doubles anyway, but if you can get a old mono or a butcher to sound better why not.

The Multi Surface version. Irregardless of the results, I would only recommend it for those records that you have given up on.
Regards,
Jim

I would never spray this stuff on my good records when milder cleaning solutions and my RCM get the job done with great success.

I tried Srubbing Bubbles on a few "basket case" records and they still sound like basket cases. Groove damage cannot be fixed.

You can clean records with milder solutions, water, and some type if vacuum to pull the bad stuff off. No need for caustic sprays. Sorry but that is my findings.

YMMV

I would never spray this stuff on my good records when milder cleaning solutions and my RCM get the job done with great success.

I tried Srubbing Bubbles on a few "basket case" records and they still sound like basket cases. Groove damage cannot be fixed.

You can clean records with milder solutions, water, and some type if vacuum to pull the bad stuff off. No need for caustic sprays. Sorry but that is my findings.

YMMV

No need to be sorry for your findings, I do not use a RCM and still wash by hand. Until I stop getting great results 99% of the time with my method I will continue to do so. Damaged grooves are damaged grooves, and as I say the SB will only be hsed on records the appear to be mint, but are hopeless cases.
Regards,
Jim

I have a pretty big pile of "rejects" after collecting for a couple years now. I grabbed about a half dozen out of the stack yesterday and found some Scrubbing Bubbles in the closet. I cleaned with the SB, sink rinsed and then ran them through my Spin Clean with just distilled water. 5 out of 6 are keepers now! I'm sold!!

sometimes the damage isn't IN the groove but in the top of the land where the surface scratches intrude into the top edge of the grooves. ihavn't had the wherewithal to attempt it, but there is a SANDING technique done with the finest of sandpaper (This grade of sandpaper is used between coats of paint or varnish. Grits of 240, 320 and 400 are termed very fine, while extra- or superfine sheets with grits of up to 600 are available for polishing jobs-that from a quick google search).
this would be done only with a desirable title that had been abused and was worth the effort. as the following article exhibits, there are finer than 600 grit paper:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Bring-Ruined-Records-Back-to-Life/

sometimes the damage isn't IN the groove but in the top of the land where the surface scratches intrude into the top edge of the grooves. ihavn't had the wherewithal to attempt it, but there is a SANDING technique done with the finest of sandpaper (This grade of sandpaper is used between coats of paint or varnish. Grits of 240, 320 and 400 are termed very fine, while extra- or superfine sheets with grits of up to 600 are available for polishing jobs-that from a quick google search).
this would be done only with a desirable title that had been abused and was worth the effort. as the following article exhibits, there are finer than 600 grit paper:

I suck at furniture refinishing. I can't imagine what would happen if I tried to sand an LP.
I guess as a last effort method tho.....

I've got 3000, 6000, 8000 and 12000 grit 'polishing' sand paper here, 1500 is commonly the highest I've seen in the local hardware type stores.

If you guys seriously want to talk about sanding albums you might want to start a separate thread on that. It's not an alternative to Scrubbing Bubbles. Irony? LOL.

Back
Top Bottom