Sealed Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by JustinICT, Dec 6, 2017.

1. JustinICT

JustinICT AK Subscriber Subscriber

Does anyone else avoid "old"sealed vinyl. I feel like I get screwed everything I buy "Old" sealed vinyl.

2. stevo137

stevo137 AK Subscriber Subscriber

It depends on the price and the record.

I have found some sealed that weren't as quiet as one would think and needed to be cleaned.

I would take a sealed over non sealed because the record has never been played.

The day that the record begins to get played is the day that it begins to wear.

Every time a record is played it is a bit less of what it once was.

jwrauch likes this.
  3. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Lots of bad pressings out there, sealed or unsealed.

I just avoid vinyl entirely, except for when I have to flip a record at a friends house or something.

jwrauch, poppachubby and KrisM like this.
  4. stan65cutlas

stan65cutlas Active Member

my wife has a sealed KISS DESTROYER, that she got in the early 90's, i looked it up once and it was worth 7 bucks i think, i wanna play it :banana:

5. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

Found a sealed original of Janis Joplin’s Pearl album at Goodwill couple years ago, opened it and had no mold. Plays like new....no worries !!

91r100gs likes this.
  6. stan65cutlas

stan65cutlas Active Member

great record :thumbsup:

BLAH BLAH and Djcoolray like this.
  7. meggy

meggy AK Subscriber Subscriber

I spend about half my record collecting hunting time finding old sealed vinyl.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Outta Ammo, BLAH BLAH and jwrauch like this.
  8. Brianito

Brianito Active Member

Records are easily resealed. Buyer beware.

BLAH BLAH and poppachubby like this.
  9. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

sealed? less beer on it.

10. KrisM

KrisM Addicted Member

I don't avoid it, but I sure wouldn't pay a premium for it.
    Any sealed stuff I buy needs to be either thrift store priced(or close), new, or from a seller who backs up his products.

My best ever sealed old stock purchase was a six eye copy of Duke Ellington's Indigos.

poppachubby and stevo137 like this.
  11. onepixel

onepixel .

I don't understand. Old sealed vinyl used to be new sealed vinyl. Do they spoil?

I already had all these original pressings, except Alannah Myles. I opened them. Nothing like freshly opened vinyl.

80s.jpg

12. JustinICT

JustinICT AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have wondered if they have been resealed. I noticed some have rub marks on them, from shifting back an forth in their sleeves. Sounds like other folks have better luck then I have with them.

13. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

I don't avoid it at all, I buy the titles I like sealed or not, might even have 10 same titles. Some people only want one record of a title, I build my record library to be the best money can buy. I might have on title consisting of fist pressing, old reissue, sealed old copy, promo, issues from other countries, an old issue, new reissues, audiophile 45 speed issue, RSD color issue, and have it in a box set. Then we can get into mono, stereo, 12 inch singles;)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  14. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

I don't avoid it ... but usually don't pay any more for it. Some I've opened have worked out great while others were warped and had other issues.
    I feel better if I can inspect the vinyl I buy.

misterjones likes this.
  15. 4-2-7

I avoid that whole dilemma and just leave it sealed:p

Outta Ammo likes this.
  16. misterjones

misterjones Active Member

I think warping is the biggest issue I've faced. Hard to blame the seller if the record truly is sealed and has a flaw that wasn't the result of poor packing.

I bought a sealed - i.e., wrapped in paper with authentic markings - set of 78s. The 78s are gorgeous and play almost flawlessly. One 78 has an almost unnoticeable crack, which plays through with no problem. (I put a tiny drop of crazy glue at both ends away from the grooves in the hope that it will prevent the crack from growing or shifting.) I said nothing to the seller. There are few guarantees when you buy a pig in a poke.

dosmalo and Ken Boyd like this.
  17. Ken Boyd

Ken Boyd AK Subscriber Subscriber

I buy them, open them and play them.

a_retent, Mitkraft, the_nines and 2 others like this.
  18. 4-2-7

What if you have two or three open copies already, and in your case Ken I know you do?

What if it's rare?

What if the open copies are worth around $30 and a sealed copy is worth around $200.00, and you have both open and sealed. Do you pop the cherry just because?

All I know is I have a whole lot of new and old sealed issues and buy with no intent of opening some, (a lot). I have a ton of newish issues I bought and sit on till they go out of print and the price escalates very fast.

19. Ken Boyd

Ken Boyd AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would probably sell the rarer sealed copy if I already had a good playing copy.

20. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

The only sealed vinyl I have ever bought has been new. If I found something old, sealed, that I liked for a good price I would buy it, open it, and play it. I buy records to listen to and I wouldn't care if it devalued the record by opening and playing it but then that's just how I roll. ;)

a_retent likes this.