Sears, not the internet's fault

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by invaderzim, Jan 8, 2019.

1. robgmn

robgmn Super Member

Looks like their stock is chugging along. Revenue and profits are stagnant though.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. sgmlaw

sgmlaw Well-Known Member

Generally, they stop being hungry, they start getting lazy, and they stop thinking innovatively.

The only major US company I can think of that has successfully maintained its innovative hunger across generations of change has been IBM. Everyone was shocked when they abruptly exited the mass-market PC business last decade, to focus on infrastructure management solutions. But they were right, again. I remember when all they made were typewriters and big mainframes, and ate Sperry-Rand's lunch.

3. invaderzim

invaderzim AK Subscriber Subscriber

Fry's is a disaster that has so much potential. They opened a new one around here a decade or so back and it was so nice, clean and well organized. But it didn't last. Now it is run down and disorganized just like their other store in the area. The sound rooms are now just filled with piles of speakers that aren't hooked up. They have a 20 seat theater to show off the top of the line stuff that isn't used. Their rows of speakers and amplifiers rarely work. The shelves are a mess, things are not in the spot that they belong so it is hard to tell what is what price. Their salespeople seem annoyed if you ask them anything. The employees just stand around instead of cleaning up their areas. They will have only 2 registers open for the entire store on a Saturday afternoon. And don't even get me started on trying to find something on their web site.

dosmalo likes this.
  4. invaderzim

Of the 4 Targets around us 1 is terrible, 1 is great and 2 are okay. These corporations really need to look at their store management on a regular basis. The one that is terrible we've had the manager on duty walk past the register after the clerk called for help with an issue and when we called out to her she snapped "I'm on break" and kept walking. I've watched cashiers that were friendly and super fast slowly have the life and energy drained out of them over time from dealing with these managers. Employees at that store will stand in the isle talking and not move so you have to find a way around them.

The idiotic thing with companies is they could find out what was wrong if they would just listen to customers and employees. Undercover Boss always has the CEO going "I had no idea about..." Well, you could always go talk to your employees without a TV show if you want to know what is going on.

dosmalo likes this.
  5. techguy0192

techguy0192 Keep McIntosh amps carbon fiber free! Subscriber

To me, they feel dated. Sorta like walking into a 90's time warp. The stores are not even on my radar.

6. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Nailed it perfectly! You’re absolutely correct!

7. damacman

Today’s mentality is that one never solicits input from employees. They’re all replaceable anyhow. Let’s hire a consultant ...

John James, timmo, RamblinE and 2 others like this.
  8. philo426

philo426 Super Member

So true!

9. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr Omelette au Fromage Subscriber

My family used DieHard batteries for years, and RoadHandler tires, which were made by Michelin, excellent tires but much cheaper than Michelins.

My '72 Sears riding mower (ST-16, single cylinder 16 hp with a cast iron block, it was a tank) was made by Ariens I think.

Kenmore washers and dryers, a lot of them were Maytag.

Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Dave1384 likes this.
  10. invaderzim

[​IMG]

I worked at a company that was paying a consultant thousands of dollars a day to tell them how to improve things. One of his ideas was completely impractical and I was arguing against it when the manager of another store took me aside and said "You won't win. Just say 'That is a great idea, we will look at implementing it' the consultant will move on and the boss will think you've acted on it and will forget about it" Part of me died that day.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    John James likes this.
  11. damacman

Vintage dogbert!

12. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

At my brothers camp we have a repo of a 1908 sears catalogue.You could buy an entire house literally from them!Love looking though that book ,its about 500 pages of history.As a kid in the sixties the Christmas wishbook was to die for!

John James likes this.
  13. savatage1973

savatage1973 AK Subscriber Subscriber

We, as a society of consumers and employees, have kind of brought this on ourselves. Why would you expect companies to even care about what customers and employees think about them (until the impending 12th hour disaster), when all they get is "hate mail"? Watch the news, social media, and the internet. When was the last time you saw employees holding a rally to support their employer? All you see are angry mobs "protesting" or a picket-line of pissed-off employees disparaging their employer. Not defending all employers for their practices, but anything potentially "positive" doesn't make the evening news--just the "negative".

When was the last time you saw anyone post about taking the time to send a letter to "corporate" to thank them for a great experience, or pass on a "kudos" regarding a particular employee/manager/location/product?--RARELY. When things go "right", everyone just expects and accepts it and moves on. The minute that things go "wrong", everyone (and even on-lookers that have no specific "horse in the race") immediately "pile-on" the band-wagon.

If 99/100 letters/e-mails/social media posts that I read every day were from people bitching about something (relevant or irrelevant), why would I feel motivated to even bother to look at them?

There's a big difference between "I have a squeak in my door hinge on my new car, and I'm pissed", and "My wife was just killed by air-bag shrapnel in my new car", and "I want to be able to earn a living wage and get health care for my family", and "I think we should get longer breaks and a Keurig machine in every break-room". Unfortunately, people don't necessarily "discriminate" between which ball they choose to pick up and run with.

14. sgmlaw

sgmlaw Well-Known Member

If you ever want to see a slice of history, look at the Sears Christmas Catalog during the height of the Second World War.

To celebrate, mainly all that was available were various smaller containers of candy or nuts. It was a very serious time.

John James likes this.
  15. invaderzim

True, there is a lot of chaff to separate from the wheat but watching huge company after huge company fail should put the fear into them to at least go out and shop their own stores and strike up a conversation with the workers. Our local Target has employees that will literally walk into you if you don't get out of their way going down the rows. At the Target in the next town they will go out of their way to ask you if you need anything.

Another company I worked for had one of their business fail and had to sell it off. Once that happened there was a big scare as they went through the rest of the businesses and looked at how things were running and where the money was going. I was shocked, I would have assumed they'd be doing that on a regular basis. And since all the businesses were very similar how did they not compare everything about them on a regularly and have meetings where ideas and methods were shared between them as to what worked and didn't work for increasing sales?

I try to always fill out any surveys they have if I get really good service anywhere. I don't really bother with negative feedback as I figure they get a lot of it and much of it is probably over silly things so mine will end up grouped with those. If it really stands out I may give them some feedback. I did email Home Depot after a visit there where every employee I encountered was looking at their phone the entire time I was there. The person at the self check out did look up long enough to go "thanks" as I left.

16. THD

THD Member

Exactly, what else was Sears good for other than maybe finding a pair of Levi's the right size that JC Penney's was out of?

17. 604man

604man Super Member

18. RickeyM

RickeyM AK Subscriber Subscriber

I worked at Sears for 10yrs. up until 20yrs. ago. Boy I could tell you stories. Most of that time was in the automotive department. The wheels on the cart were getting wobbly back then. We started loosing business there when cars began going to electronics and they refused to invest in diagnostic equipment. One of their failings was management would not listen to ideas from anyone below their pay grade. Retail wise they let the competition beat them on prices unless they put something on sale. Who wants to wait for the three week sale cycle when when they can go down the road and get it today. I recently bought an upright freezer from Home Depot. The same one that was $100 more at Sears. I agree with whoever said "Suicide by Management".

19. Champco

Champco AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice writing. Sears lost me when they stopped selling Peanuts and Pistachios. No one could walk past that.

Dave1384 likes this.
  20. Champco

Champco AK Subscriber Subscriber

They want too much and i as unable to talk them down. Pretty sure they were recycled.