Sears Pro Series Turntable # 28668 Help

Great Gazoo

Hello everyone,
Just new here and was wondering if anyone had any information on my newly acquired turntable.Seems it is somewhat rare and finding any info is hard.
From bits and pieces from the net with nothing concrete I have found,
It was only sold in Canada,perhaps made in Toronto in the late 70's.
I would like to know if this table is worth upgrading as it is all original and mint except for a new needle.

Thank you all,
Bye for now,

Great Gazoo

Is this it?:

$_35.JPG

The turntable wasn't made in Tronno but in Japan by C.E.C., the Turntable Maker to the Stars". ;) C.E.C. made tables under their own brand but also for many, many other companies like Sanyo, Fisher, Marantz and, of course, Sears. Yours appears to be very much the same turntable as the Marantz 6100, a model with a lot of fans here.

It's a very basic but quite decent sounding belt drive turntable. The upgrade potential isn't huge and, honestly, anything that required a large outlay of money might not be justified. If it were me, I'd see to maintenance items like lubrication and perhaps upgraded audio cables. Also, a new and better cartridge might be wise. Of course, the cartridge already on your table might be very good and, in that case, a new stylus would be an alternative. (It's the safe thing to do to assume that the stylus on any used turntable you buy needs to be replaced.)

John

The turntable wasn't made in Tronno but in Japan by C.E.C., the Turntable Maker to the Stars". ;) C.E.C. made tables under their own brand but also for many, many other companies like Sanyo, Fisher, Marantz and, of course, Sears. Yours appears to be very much the same turntable as the Marantz 6100, a model with a lot of fans here.

It's a very basic but quite decent sounding belt drive turntable. The upgrade potential isn't huge and, honestly, anything that required a large outlay of money might not be justified. If it were me, I'd see to maintenance items like lubrication and perhaps upgraded audio cables. Also, a new and better cartridge might be wise. Of course, the cartridge already on your table might be very good and, in that case, a new stylus would be an alternative. (It's the safe thing to do to assume that the stylus on any used turntable you buy needs to be replaced.
John

CEC indeed. Almost identical to my old Rotel RP-1000Q which was also made by CEC. Same arm, same platter mat, etc.
Not great but serviceable. If the OP needs a new cartridge, I'd recommend an AT95E or AT120E, or a good used Shure M91ED.
I ended up putting a Transcriptors Vestigal arm on mine and it sounded pretty damned good after that.

I got a Sears 28668 myself too and I'm looking for belt advise? @GreatGazoo did you replace it by any chance? Any part number?

For the cartdridge part, right now, I see Shure 5X on the stylus. Should I switch it with my M91ED since this TT is probably gonna replace the one in my main setup? Is it better for me te keep this cartridge for my other TT and replace the stylus or you guys recommend replacing the whole stylus for something else?

I got a Sears 28668 myself too and I'm looking for belt advise? @GreatGazoo did you replace it by any chance? Any part number?

For the cartdridge part, right now, I see Shure 5X on the stylus. Should I switch it with my M91ED since this TT is probably gonna replace the one in my main setup? Is it better for me te keep this cartridge for my other TT and replace the stylus or you guys recommend replacing the whole stylus for something else?

I have that TT (and the matching amp, tuner and tape deck, thanks Dad!) and I had to replace the belt as it had turned to goo. I can't give you a part number, but I bought one at a HiFi repair shop in Quebec city. It was a pretty generic belt. If they had in stock in Quebec you should find one in Mtl without a problem.

I have that TT (and the matching amp, tuner and tape deck, thanks Dad!) and I had to replace the belt as it had turned to goo. I can't give you a part number, but I bought one at a HiFi repair shop in Quebec city. It was a pretty generic belt. If they had in stock in Quebec you should find one in Mtl without a problem.

Welcome to the AK community!

Back
Top Bottom