Seattle Area Ohm Walsh Model-F Enthusiasts Needed

Porkloin

Oscar Heil Groupie
Good day, Model-F'ers. I've become fascinated with the idea of owning a pair of model F's, but I've never actually heard a pair. It's going to take a bit of money and a road trip and all of that is a bit much for something I've never heard.
Which is why I'm here ask if any Model-F owners here would be willing to demo their inside out cones for me. I'd bring one demo CD and a six-pack of your preferred listening drink. It wouldn't take long, I'd abide by your schedule and I'll resist the urge to get your dogs wound up.
I understand that some would have security concerns about letting a stranger into your home to listen to your prize possessions and I have no qualm with that, but as another fellow AK'r pointed out, both he and I live to show off our gear and this sort of information sharing should be what AK is all about.
Anyone out there up for a demo?

OhmF.jpg

I got no Ohms. But I would let you hear a pair of JBL 4365. Add and Ginny might frisk you for doggie biscuits though.

Regards
Mister Pig

Wish I had a set of Ohm F or even Ohm A, since I'd love to hear how it sounds compared to a regular speaker design...

Sorry my set is in nc. If you make it out this way open door policy. You can also listen to another 75 odd sets of speakers to do a ab test with ohms. You have to do the heavy lifting though.

Same as Mr Pig I don't have Ohms but have a pair of Vandersteen 2ce signature's your more than welcome to listen to as long as you don't mind my Mastiff and Boston terrier sitting in on the session and doing some critical listening of there own lol.

Audiofreak71

Always wanted to hear a pair of these myself...finding a pair in restored condition to audition may be an order of magnitude more difficult than just finding a pair

Porkloin,
Don't have a pair of F's. Have not heard them since '77, when I bought my C2's, which I'll never give up.
Am I rumor monger if I say have read stories of teething problems with early models, that was eventually solved? Needing lots of power to move ,but susseptible to damage from overdriving. I may be il-informed and all wet though. Ohm, I believe, is a top speaker mfger. with great customer service.
Actual F owners may set me straight on this. Maybe it was an earlier model thathad problems. Hesitate to criticize anyones gear on AK.

Last edited:
My mc2105 has zero issues driving mine. It's restored and puts out about 135wpc. Also either using a subsonic rumble filter in line or using s sub with f's is the ticket. Removes anything below 20hz from speakers which can crush cone like a beer can.

All F's need lots and lots of clean power. They are not party speakers but they will crush beer cans..yes.

Hmm I may have to get them out... :idea:

Last edited:
Porkloin,
Don't have a pair of F's. Have not heard them since '77, when I bought my C2's, which I'll never give up.
Am I rumor monger if I say have read stories of teething problems with early models, that was eventually solved? Needing lots of power to move ,but susseptible to damage from overdriving. I may be il-informed and all wet though. Ohm, I believe, is a top speaker mfger. with great customer service.
Actual F owners may set me straight on this. Maybe it was an earlier model thathad problems. Hesitate to criticize anyones gear on AK.
I forget who the quote was attributed to, but someone once said that it took a good 300 watts to drive a pair of Ohm F's and 301 watts to cook them.
Or something like that.
That's not a much of a concern to me as I drive my speakers like I drive my cars - never to their limits. What's the point of driving anything louder than my ears can withstand? The right ear starts rattling at a given point - I used to think it was my gear until I walked into the other room and things cleared up. Damn my earlier days in industry when no one wore hearing protection.

One more positive about Ohms, is the customer support they give. If you need replacement drivers. I upgraded my C2 woofers from them. At I think a fair price. Not affiliated, just happy customer.

I don't own a pair but I have heard them. And from that day they became one of my favorite speakers.

If you're ever in Michigan you can come hear my completely restored pair (once I finish my new listening space). I love to show them off.

I agree with nolasally, rumors of them needing massive amounts of power are vastly exaggerated. Those probably had a mis-aligned voice coil. If the voice coil isn't sagging, all they need is a high damping factor due to the unusually heavy cone. It's wise to run a 30 hz high pass filter, but they run quite well off a $10 TPA 3116 chip amp. However, after trying a bit of everything, I find they do best on my 120 wpc Class D Audio CDA-120C.

And yes, they're magical. They're not perfect and you can't expect them to rock out a loud party. That's not what they were designed for. But they make late 50's jazz combos sound like they're in the room with you.

I'm a little south of you, in Gilroy, Ca. If you find yourself in this area, you are more than welcome to listen to mine.

They are my all time favorite. I love the way these things sound.

I power mine with a Heathkit AA-1640 amp, 200 watts per channel. I don't drive them to their limits.

There are a number of places that service them. Ohm will not service the drivers, which is a shame. They will sell 'upgrades' that use their newer drivers, which is nice, but in my opinion it's a shame to send those classic drivers to the dumpster.

bs

They can be self-serviced for less than $100 in parts and a few hours of labor. They're harder to work on than most speakers, but not impossible by any means. All of the materials are readily available from Walmart, Amazon, and eBay. I keep meaning to start a thread about how to restore them. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I'll pull my notes together and get something out there later today.

I came desperately close about 6 months ago to buying a really nice pair for $1500. I didn't get to hear them. I really wanted to. I was about to make the 2 hour drive with cash and the previous owner of my current speakers told me that he sold a pair of "F's" when he bought the speakers that own now.. He said before the F's he owned appoggies. It kinda discouraged me knowing his evolution of gear.

Later I found out I miss understood him, that he almost bought some when he bought what I now own. I was really deflated.

I really would like to hear a pair too.

They can be self-serviced for less than $100 in parts and a few hours of labor. They're harder to work on than most speakers, but not impossible by any means. All of the materials are readily available from Walmart, Amazon, and eBay. I keep meaning to start a thread about how to restore them. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I'll pull my notes together and get something out there later today.

Do start a thread and show how it's done. I'm curious on the process and what is involved.

Back
Top Bottom