SECOND BUILD OF WESTERN ELECTRIC WE 753C CABINETS

753A had the 752A tweeter. Good tweeter, looks like a permanent magnet 597A...too bad it is super rare.

That is the most expensive 753 version on the Asian luxury collector market.

753A had the 752A tweeter. Good tweeter, looks like a permanent magnet 597A...too bad it is super rare.

That is the most expensive 753 version on the Asian luxury collector market.

The reason I asked was, many years ago I saw a WE753 with a 32A/722A + RP302. Thanks!

RP-302....YUK! That scratchy ass tweeter has no place in a 753A.

Got the grill cloths installed. Tasteful, restrained, time for a glass of sherry and some scones.

IMG_2361[1].JPG

Dang Joe, just saw your postings on these babies!!! You done good!!!!! I like the Maroon 5 grill cloth - good choice.

So what was your wife's reaction when she first saw these after she fainted!!! Hope you're enjoying them! I'm working on a Cornwall cabinet build from scratch for a friend now but can work you in for your second pair when you're ready!!!

Wat is all that scratchy crap on top of those beautiful speakers :cool:

It was all on the floor until my wife screamed about all of the junk on her beautiful antique Qum rug, which is worth almost as much as a pr of 728Bs.

In any case, it is all back on the floor again...

Allllllright, got the 728Bs bolted in and a moderate amount of paper insulation installed, as close to "stock" as i could get. I had to borrow the living room carpet for one last operation.

The original 753s used a form of Kimsul paper insulation that looked to be treated with tar or asphalt of some sort. You see this stuff used for tube wrappings in WWII surplus packaging. The only paper insulation variety available now is plain paper, sold under the trade name Kimpak. The old stuff was sold for noise abatement applications and may have been better performing insulation.

I have some internal damping tricks that I I want to try out but let's start with the "standard" scheme. These speakers don't seem to like overstuffed boxes so this is probably not far from the target. And a bit more paper than I had in my last cabinet, which possibly could have used more than I put in.

I blocked off the tweeter hole while I listen to the 728B solo and build a small sealed box for the mounting of the 3000A s .

Hopefully, I'll be grooving on some jazz by tomorrow afternoon. I missed the 728Bs as my main FM/streaming companion during the months of this cab upgrade and I'm excited about this new 1 cu.ft. larger and much nicer box.

IMG_2363[1].JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom