Secondary system

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by brad1138, Aug 10, 2017.

1. brad1138

brad1138 Active Member

Just upgraded every component in my secondary system. Schiit Modi 2 DAC, Schiit SYS passive preamp, Rotel RB-971 MK II Amp, "Platine Noiree" speakers.

Last week I picked up some well reviewed Sony (yes Sony) "SS-K90ED" speakers, but they didn't quiet do it for me, then I saw an add for the Earthquake Platine Noiree speakers for $300 on CL, the few reviews I could find were quite positive, and they originally sold for ~$2700/pr.

I just got them home a few hours ago, they have a very smooth presentation, with very laid back vocals. I would say almost too laid back for my tastes, but I need a bit more time with them. Also they recommend a more powerful amp. I am looking for another Rotel RB-971 MKii to either biamp or bridge for more power (70->180wpc).

I am going to test them on the main system, when I get a chance, my main systems Citation amp has much more power.

Platine Noiree speakers are inside speakers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nightwisher and guiller like this.
  2. mark warren

mark warren Always Learning! Subscriber

Very nice! I like your speakers! :thumbsup:

3. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Mighty fine!

Rome

4. guiller

guiller Toscaninichus Australis

Nice!

5. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

Soweet!

6. brad1138

brad1138 Active Member

So far not real pleased with either speaker though... Going to start a separate thread about that.

7. brad1138

brad1138 Active Member

OK, after some more listening and trying different amps and rooms, I am happier with both sets. Both needed more power. The Sony spks benefitted a lot from being bi-amping, at 100 wpc x 4 (2 per speaker) from my main system amp. The bass improved nicely, also the room acoustic treatments tamed the highs. The Earthquake spks, need a LOT more power, they really improved when I bridged the same amp to 300x2.

I am going to try to find a second, matching Rotel amp, to either bridge for 180 wpc for the Platine Noirees, or biamp the Sony spks.