1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Securing Your Home Audio Equipment

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Kevin Laman, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Kevin Laman

Kevin Laman New Member

I was wondering how people are securing their home audio equipment. I only have a Fisher 400 and 500C but hate to have it stolen when I'm not home. If anyone cares to share their ideas that would be very helpful.

Thank you

awillia6 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

Work on finding a better place to live...and hurry!

3. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Smith & Wesson.

Deano, Alobar, rickb119 and 9 others like this.
  4. goodolpg

goodolpg Just an old fart trying to help. Subscriber

Engrave your drivers license number on each piece.
    Keep your doors locked when away.
    Keep a list of serial numbers for insurance or if stolen purposes.
    Many "experts" say a yard or window sign that states an alarm system is in place can "help" deter thieves.
    Fake security camera(s) and outdoor security lighting.
    Some of those might help prevent theft or break ins and may aid in recovery of stolen items, stereo gear and otherwise.

roger2 and darkblue94 like this.
  5. thomo57

thomo57 AK Subscriber Subscriber

You need more gear, a lot more
    Stash it around the place in areas away from your main system so that it's nigh impossible for a thief to find.
    And even difficult for yourself to find at times
    So when your heart gets ripped from your body you have something to replace it with.

It's a ploy that most AK members use unwittingly.
    I doesn't actually provide security but it provides peace of mind that someone can't possibly find all your gear.
    Even your wife

LPplayer, faber12, John James and 3 others like this.
  6. JarredCrowe

JarredCrowe AK's drunk troublemaker

This does seem to be a preferred method on here.

7. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

Before the Feds installed the very first Border wall along the Rio Grande, there were over 100 cars stolen weekly, people walked over to come to work without work credentials and thieves snuck across and thru drainage pipes to gain access to rob and steal and make an easy escape. Our boarder wall was the first as an experiment back in the 70's. In the mean time we all owned large dogs, kept shot guns filled and installed wrought iron over our windows and entries. Rich folks put up stone and rock walls with broken glass on top like Rich folks on the other side of the river. After the wall car thefts lowered 75%, burglaries, almost dried up and El Paso, became the safest large city in the US and has been for many years. Some of us kept our dogs and and wrought iron. We even get. insurance discounts because we do. Burgler alarms help and having an active police and Sheriffs office helps in my case. neighborhood watch is another thing you should participate in. As we are a military town that helps, too. We are allowed to carry guns in Texas and most house holds have weapons and thats a deterrent. Having most of the neighborhood populated 24 hours a day helps, too. with a lot of retirees. There are over 50,000 retired veterans in our county according to the VA.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    danrclem, tater415, rickb119 and 2 others like this.
  8. teal'c

teal'c It's all moo Subscriber

Buy things that are too heavy for them to carry out.

There's really no way to stop anyone who really wants your stuff.

toxcrusadr and Nightwisher like this.
  9. hugo454

hugo454 Gold Member Subscriber

The goal is to have so much that it could't all be stolen

tater415 likes this.
  10. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

My method works really well. Retire and stay home all the time. A Remington 870 is good for this scheme.

cason, Nightwisher, Bodyblue and 10 others like this.
  11. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

E92F03AE-1EF7-4549-B501-E1CCEB205FAC.jpeg
    This works ^^ not many will try her and if that don’t work I have my 45 and just in case it’s all insured with Usaa.

Audiofreak71

ZIP007, danrclem, musichal and 7 others like this.

12. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

Thieves are generally looking for cash, the contents of your medicine cabinet, jewellery, watches, identification like passports, guns and small modern electronics that can be carried and sold easily for a fair amount of cash. Vintage stereos are neither easy to carry nor easy to liquidate, and thus unlikely to be considered valuable from a theft point of view because, relatively speaking, they're not. Vintage consumer stereo gear hasn't been a theft target since not long after it was made.

Ray Gianelli, Bodyblue, sx-70 and 6 others like this.
  13. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Who steals this gear these days? Those enjoying it are too old to be hauling a lot of stereo gear out of the house in the dark of night.
    and this is another good strategy.

sx-70, bluesky, Roadrash and 3 others like this.
  14. goodolpg

What he said ^.
    In these days of ear buds and carry your system in your pocket, the big old gear we treasure is not real high on a thieves list I would imagine.

DaveVoorhis, Bill Ferris and GChief like this.
  15. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

I agree with all above. Best strategy is live in a nice neighbourhood with a good neighbourhood watch. It works best of all! But if someone wants to rob you, they will. Not much we can do about it. That’s where having a large stash of gear comes in. Overwhelm them with volume!

B&Es don’t happen that much around here anymore. But stereos and records were a target in the 70s. They were easy to liquidate then. That’s why a lot of gear has our social insurance numbers engraved on them. It was before the internet and identity thieves.

awillia6 likes this.
  16. goodolpg

There may be a few pieces of audio gear floating around "out there" with my S.S. number on them. If they've survived the last 35 or so years. That was recommended way back in the day before identity thieves, etc.
    I now use my drivers license number, placed in an inconspicuous place (like inside the piece of gear).

17. dondoucette

dondoucette AK Subscriber Subscriber

My giant schnauzer is the most loving loyal dog I've ever had, but he does NOT like strangers (when we are home or not) if someone came into the house I don't know if they would exit alive... He came apart on the mailman one time, didn't bite him, just scared the hell out of him... We are on our 4th since we got the dog, one lady postal worker put in for a transfer just because his bark scared her...

I am not worried about my audio equipment.

jcamero and Bill Ferris like this.
  18. GChief

GChief Not well known, super member or other silliness Subscriber

Buy a Cheap AVR, a game station and keep everything together and they won’t touch the old stuff.

Edit: $50 thrift store buys

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  19. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

Alarm system and insurance. I also don't advertise that I have anything valuable so there's really no reason to bother looking in here. Better off robbing a house without a homeless encampment half a block from my front door.

20. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

And other reputable brands..