Securing Your Home Audio Equipment

Our front porch Light has a camera linked to our cell phones. In most cases, robbers knock on the door to see if your home. Also, when we're home a Glock is with reach.

my system is so heavy that they had better be weightlifters to get the stuff out of the house.

I'm not worried. My speakers are 5 1/2' tall. That makes them sort of difficult to carry away. My preamp alone weighs 13.5 lbs. They can steal one of my laptops but the boot password means they'll never be able to sell or use one.

Go to the pet store and find the biggest dog food bowl available. Take it home and scuff, gouge, dent it up. Then write "Tiny" on the bowl. Leave it by the back door.

in that city the burglars use auto tools to grab and twist/snap the cylinders off
in about 5 seconds. that's why the bolted welded shields over the locks. then
there's the scene in superman 1, when margot opens the door with 5 locks
inside joke among Metropolis citizens

I forget his name but there was a comedian who said growing up in NYC, his mother was worried about someone picking the lock on their front door to get in so she put six locks on the door but only locked three of them at any time. Figured it would stymie any lock picker because he would be constantly locking half the locks on the door.

The problem with firearms is someone has to be around for them to be effective, while being away, firearms are themselves a sought after target for a thief.
And that's exactly why I virtually never step away from my home without a Glock 41 (45 .ACP) on my hip. The other firearm is secured in a biometric safe in the house. At least I'll have a potential fighting chance if I came across an intruder who somehow managed to destroy the safe and get it out... The area I reside in doesn't have much of an issue with crime yet, but it's slowly moving in that direction due to migration patterns from south of the Rio Grande.

I forget his name but there was a comedian who said growing up in NYC, his mother was worried about someone picking the lock on their front door to get in so she put six locks on the door but only locked three of them at any time. Figured it would stymie any lock picker because he would be constantly locking half the locks on the door.
That was clever as all get out. :p

And that's exactly why I virtually never step away from my home without a Glock 41 (45 .ACP) on my hip. The other firearm is secured in a biometric safe in the house. At least I'll have a potential fighting chance if I came across an intruder who somehow managed to destroy the safe and get it out... The area I reside in doesn't have much of an issue with crime yet, but it's slowly moving in that direction due to migration patterns from south of the Rio Grande.
Oh gees, we live in such different worlds. I carry a Ruger 454 Casull for the bears when I hike in what is predominately their territory, but would never think to need anything for people here. I don't know if I would trust myself to know when would be the right time to pull a gun on someone when out and about should I perceive a threat. Of course one's own home it is a little different, but sometimes just having a gun can cause problems.. JMO

Eliminating coke-heads and similar types from your circle of friends and family seems to help a lot.

Every year or so I seem to be a victim of someone grabbing a cordless drill or similar tool from my garage. Eventually I discover where I left the damn thing. Took me two months to find my air nailer...you can't see the shelf over the garage door when it is open...

Vintage stereos are neither easy to carry nor easy to liquidate, and thus unlikely to be considered valuable from a theft point of view because, relatively speaking, they're not.
Exactly ! Do you really worry that someone's going to break-in then run off with two heavy Fisher receivers? No way. That's about 60 lbs worth. Unless someone 'in the know' sees it and has to have it, don't worry.

So none of you is keeping a dragon under the staircase? ;) "Spot!"

Personally I don't worry that much. For one thing, burglars around Munich seem to prefer more wealthy areas of the city as well as the outskirts, then I'm at home most of the time, anyway - and finally the guy, who had rented my place before, has been sued out, and there still are remains of a bailiff seal around the lock of the door, which I chose not to remove, so that I've got a free "this guy is broke"-indicator at my door. In addition, the house is ascoustically rather badly damped, and there only is one staircase without any other escape, so that possible burglars would rather seem likely to concentrate on the lower floors. Well, and then my place is cramped with stuff, a lot of that in generic boxes, so a nightly burglar would most likely already trip to death, before he's even quite in yet, and should he survive, he'd probably need at least two days to dig up the goodies among all my old crap...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Ha live in the Rockies and you’ll worry about four legged critters more than two;-)

Just make sure that your house, your lot, and your car look old, cheap and decrepit; and they'll go next door.
Hope this helps.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom