Security Camera set-up , where to start , ideas ?

zebra03

All Audio - NO BS
I live in the country and yet it is a small village . Someone is messing around with things outside . I would like to set up cameras to try and catch them . Any suggestions would be great . I also have Xfinity Cable and they offer security camera's as well . Anyone have experience with them ?

I have a security camera but this game camera would work well - It takes still pictures and/or video onto a SD card it works great - and not too expensive - about $100 - do not get their cheaper one.

Wild Game Innovations
Wildgame Innovations Mirage 16" with Batteries & SD Card, Mossy Oak Bottomland

I just bought a 4 camera system from Crystal Vision, 1080 res, 1TB hard drive, excellent night vision up to 100 or 130 feet, came with its own monitor and it is wireless except for power to the cameras, it is it's own network you only have to connect it to the net to monitor things through your phone or a computer.
around $399.00

I Installed a 4 camera system bought from Frys for around $400. It was pretty easy to install, just a pain to run cables in the attic craw space. Works well enough for what it is.

I've had contractors install probably around a dozen systems on various properties I manage. Everything from 4 to 20 camera systems. The best system IMO, are the honeywell ones, but you'll definitely pay for them.

Anyway, if you're trying to catch criminals at night. Odds are, no affordable camera is going to be good enough to get license plate numbers, or clearly get faces. The one time I got a clear shot of a face was a guy using a ladder to steal the actual camera. I've given footage of burglaries to police maybe a dozen times. Never got any news if anything ever came out of it.

I like the IP cameras out there, as they can be used on an existing network and selected via their IP addresses. Yet, running Ethernet to exterior locations would be tedious in this house, but on the other hand would be convenient since they can use PoE to get their power (rather than trying to run a separate power cord to each one). I don't like the wireless cameras--it won't be long before even the dumbest of criminals learn they could foil any wireless camera with a common signal jammer. I would want something with PTZ (pan/tilt/zoom) that I could adjust remotely, and/or set to "patrol" mode to do so automatically. It would also need infrared to see things at night, and have high enough resolution to enhance detail. An acquaintance of mine is a VP at a company that designs and sells surveillance hardware and software. I have always meant to ask what he would recommend as a reliable and affordable setup for a home.

For now I have installed a couple of inexpensive motion detection security lights outdoors. LED, so I'm not so concerned with power usage or bulbs burning out. I still want to install cameras, though.

Here's an example of the 4 channel Swann system I installed at my house. It claims 720p resolution.
NKZFzQ7.png

1tXre8m.png

Here's shots from the most recent contractor installed ones. These cameras are pretty much as good as you're gonna get and still be reasonably priced. Notice the significant drop in clarity in night vision.
kn2mqLV.png

wwwGg1z.png

+1 on the comment about the limitations of cameras at night. I worked in the home alarm industry for 15 years. Even hi res "night vision" cams work best with with plenty of lighting when you are trying to identify an individual. Also, cameras mounted up high will often not capture the face, just the ball cap or hoodie. You might try mounting cameras in the windows looking out in combination with a few trail cams outside.
Here is one of the coolest I've seen recently, a system that launches a drone when motion is detected outside. I'm sure it is pricey.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/sunflower-home-awareness-system/

If you click X with that Sunflower drone thing, does it pop out a death ray and annihilate the intruder?

me being the slightly paranoid type that I am, I want no connection of any sort of video recording thing to a network. Maybe my hats do have a tinfoil lining but with as horribly insecure as a lot of "internet of things" devices seem to be, I don't want any chance of someone being able to scope out my property without my permission.

I would trust professional surveillance equipment re: hacking attempts, but am more wary about consumer products. And to be honest, a good number of the hacking issues could be resolved if home networks, and the cameras themselves, were set up correctly in the first place. I could tunnel into my own network remotely via my own VPN if I ever needed that capability.

Back
Top Bottom