Seeburg DDS1 & Altec H-811 B Horns Project

Do you have a variable Lpads installed also, or just a the Altec attenuators? I see some of the Altec attenuation units for fifty bucks each on ebay.

I didn't think to mention before that I play 99.9% LP's. You might want Lpads if you play mostly CD's. I popped in a CD yesterday and was glad I had the Lpads. Didn't take much but backed down the horn just a bit.
Paul

Thanks for the tip. The project has been slow going, but I've managed to remove the screens. I plan to replace them with nice fabric or foam. My screens were black and rusty. Frankly, I wonder how much sound got through at all! Yuck. I plan to try my nice sounding p. Audio drivers first, since I have adapters to fit the 811. I'm going to order parts from parts express to make the crossovers with eq attenuation. I think that diagram is somewhere hidden im this thread lol. Next up, my grill solution. They need it!

Thanks to the AK design collaborative thread, I was able to settle on Selenium 220it horn drivers and Zilch's 8-ohm X-over with Parts Express parts, very helpful.

I was able assemble an X-over this morning and it was light and day difference from the stock. The stock were almost unbearable, I decided to use only the Seeburgs inductor coils but wired them according like Zilch's design with the new components and the L-pad. Very nice outcome so far! Very listenable and cleaned the boomy bass quite nice. Even running without the L-pad there is no pain!

I'm curious about the crossover issues you experienced, as I've just found a set of ALTEC horns from a Seeburg, and decided to buy the crossovers and 12" UTAH bass drivers as well, in an attempt to get a little ahead with my ALTEC 9844 project. (See attached "stock image" for reference) (i.e not my speakers in the picture)

Curious if I like you, might also be able to use the stock crossover coils for my 16 ohm project...with some alterations. Any thoughts on how to adapt this mod for use with 16 ohm drivers?

Thankful for any tips!

Attachments

• Altec 9844A.jpg
    Altec 9844A.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 55
Hmmm, the Utah drivers are 15" in the DDS-1 just FYI. Good luck with the project, I have a pair of DSS1 waiting on me in the garage. I spray painted the horns, and still need a replacement diaphragm or two.

Well, you're still way ahead of me :)

The cabinets ask for dual 12's, and the parts I got are from a similar model, with 12s. Thanks for spotting it, could have been important.

Hey,

I am rebuilding my Seeburg crossovers and keeping the original 806 and Utah drivers. I am a little confused about this statement on how to modify the crossover to account for the 16ohm Altec 806 driver vs the 8ohm Selenium.
The crossover diagram is in post number 22.

Whaleman stated that "According to the calculator I used, you would replace the high frequency components as follows:

Inductor: 1.2 mH
Capacitor: 2.344 uF (or closest match)"

My question is which cap changes to 2.344uF? Is that the .47uf or the 4.7uf cap?

Thanks

Woofer Parameters? Seeburg DDS1 Utah

I tried a few designs - in the end I went with high quality component using a 1st order design crossed at 1600hz. And they sound amazing! Off course your 15's need to be able to handle it (I use JBL 2226H).

I have a pair of DDS1 I plan to restore, and do the cross-over mods, etc. Horns, drivers, diaphragms are all good (although I may try the suggested aftermarket drivers).

The problem I have is that two woofers have been replaced with something other than the original Utah woofers. So, I have unmatched woofers.

I'd like to replace all 4 of them with something more up to date.
I'm not well-healed enough to afford the JBL 2226. Some of the offerings from Eminence or even MCM are much more in my price range. The Utah woofers don't appear to have been very high-dollar units back in the day.

Has anyone looked at the TS parameters for the original Utah woofers? I'd like to get something close, so re-tuning/re-porting of the cabinets would not be required.

I know this is a very old thread, but it's the best one on AK for the DDS1's. I'm hoping it will wake up with this poke.

Dave O.

The Utah woofers predate the standard of T/S parameters, and relative to most 15 inch woofers, are crappy.

Calculate your internal volume.

Pick some woofers.

Tune the boxes to the woofers.

It's standard operating procedure, and you will be rewarded for your efforts.

Can someone please re-post the schematic diagram that use to be in post number 22? or at least can someone tell me the values of the inductors, resistors, and capacitors?

Hello!

can someone tell me the value of the components in this image?

index.php

Thought I'd let you'll join in on this project since I've found the information here of extreme value.

The DDS1 arrived this week from Utah via freight safe and sound minus the Altec 811 horns that are coming from another place. Thanks to the AK design collaborative thread, I was able to settle on Selenium 220it horn drivers and Zilch's 8-ohm X-over with Parts Express parts, very helpful.

I was able assemble an X-over this morning and it was light and day difference from the stock. The stock were almost unbearable, I decided to use only the Seeburgs inductor coils but wired them according like Zilch's design with the new components and the L-pad. Very nice outcome so far! Very listenable and cleaned the boomy bass quite nice. Even running without the L-pad there is no pain!

The massive woofers provide effortless bass, I include a picture next to a turntable for comparison, and there are two in each box.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• seeburg-crossover.jpg
    seeburg-crossover.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 21
Not to hijack the thread but has anyone ever used those Utah 15s in a project. I've had a pair for a number of years sitting around that came out of a Seeburg disco speaker ?

Thought I'd let you'll join in on this project since I've found the information here of extreme value.

The DDS1 arrived this week from Utah via freight safe and sound minus the Altec 811 horns that are coming from another place. Thanks to the AK design collaborative thread, I was able to settle on Selenium 220it horn drivers and Zilch's 8-ohm X-over with Parts Express parts, very helpful.

The massive woofers provide effortless bass, I include a picture next to a turntable for comparison, and there are two in each box.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Whaleman I just purchased some Seeburg dds1 speakers can you send me the schematic for Zilchs crossovers and if you have it the required parts list?

Back
Top Bottom