Seeing double, Infinity RS-6000's...

Inspiribomb

Enjoy the journey
Found these last night on CL for, drum roll (as if you didn't already know...) $50. Although fairly dirty, they are in pretty good shape. Nothing horrendous on the cabs, although some minor scuffs. Foam is about ready to fall off the cones, but I figure what better way to get my hands dirty on some racooning (refoaming I mean) than with 4 woofers! Took a few damp paper towels to them and they cleaned up nicely, EMITs and Polydome mids look like new. I'll post pics later, I have to order me up some 10" surrounds, 4 to be exact!

Thanks Ron! I have been playing with the mid/tweet pots on the back, and its rather incredible how just "there" the tweets are when turned way up, I had totally forgotten about that. Dunno if that makes sense. Not bad, just interesting. I can't wait to get both pairs going at once.

Can someone clarify for me if both 10" woofers are powered, as in, is one a passive radiator? Reason I ask is because when I push on one, the other moves in the opposite direction. Although it is a sealed cab, so one would affect the other, and I can see voice coil wires through each cone. I always thought they were both woofers, can someone verify this for me?

According to the information at Infinity-Classics.de both of the woofers should be powered. It makes sense that in a sealed cabinet one woofer would go out if the other is pushed in as the air will want to go somewhere, though when powered, the air would be compressed by the woofers giving the tightness of sealed bass.

- JP

Thanks Chari, that's what I was thinking, just wanted some verification. Here are some pics I snapped quick.

NewRS-6000s.jpg

Woofs.jpg

2ndPair.jpg

I saw those last night also..

just couldn't pull the trigger. I'm in the middle of refurbing a pair of JBL L77's. The drivers are winging their way to GordonW for some work and the cabinets are getting a fresh makover with some quartersawn white oak veneer and a little new paint.

Glad to see someone here get them though.

Gary :thmbsp:

I have the RS-5000's, and they're fairly 'ho-hum'. Lots of forced bass from a woofer in an artificially small cab, and the much-lauded EMIT is so small as to be indistinguishable from any other tweeter that they might have stuck in there, and sounds gritty to boot. Overall, these would have sounded great in a speaker showroom where you'd flip from one type of speaker to another...lots of bass and highs to crank up that AC/DC. The 6000's are likely much of the same, since it appears to use the same drivers (just two woofers instead of one).

I strongly suspect that the cheezy Infinity crossover is part of the fault here, but I bought these for checking out amps before they ship, not for sonic bliss, and for that they do fine. But if I really wanted to make these sound right, I'd have to rebuild the crossover and perhaps install a couple of Variovents in the rear to allow the woofer to operate as it should and get the hideous bumps out of the bass response.

Well all I can say is that they sure do something for Aaron. Enough for him to get 2 pairs. Nice score!

way to go Ib!

but,

something tells me you're gonna have a hard time hearin that rear pair with the front pair there! :naughty:

Congratulations, Aaron! Charivari is absolutely right about the woofers, btw.

Now, about that Kenwood quad adapter you need ...

EchoWars, while a little surprised by your review of them, I can see how you would think that of the RS-5000/6000. I tend to disagree in opinion of the tweets and woofers (although yes, they are probably in too small of a cab), but I am sure you have heard many many more speakers than I have and have a better knowledge base and more experience. Perhaps I just like them so much because I haven't heard anything better :scratch2:

Last edited:
Inspiribomb said:
EchoWars, while a little surprised by your review of them, I can see how you would think that of the RS-5000/6000. I tend to disagree in opinion of the tweets and woofers (although yes, they are probably in too small of a cab), but I am sure you have heard many many more speakers than I have and have a better knowledge base and more experience. Perhaps I just like them so much because I haven't heard anything better :scratch2:

Hey Aaron,
Yep, I wouldn't take anything too personal with that review from EW. He and I just heard some Infinity's a couple of weeks ago that, IMHO, were some of the best speakers I've ever heard, and I have heard a lot as well. Check out this thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43718

Tell you what, take the time to arrange yourself a trip to the next AK Fest in April 2006 and hear a lot of these speakers and systems for yourself, you won't be disappointed. Maybe you can hook up with me for a ride there. Army and I will also be splitting a listening room and maybe we can talk him into bringing those Infinity's of his. :yes:

Oh, and Glenn (EW) did give you a couple of suggestions on how to improve your 6000's, that is, if you want too. Maybe he could even rebuild those crossovers for you. Try one pair of speakers first, and then compare the two. Just food for thought.

Retro

I'll be ordering a set of four 10" surrounds for these bad boys, hopefully by weeks-end. I'd like to refoam them without removing the dust caps, as I'm sure replacements wouldn't look near as good, but I'd be a bit nervous attempting to do so without shimming the VC. I am quite curious to hear how both pairs sound together, then also with the soundmates woofers. Any ideas for speaker placement? Bolly gave me an interesting idea - lay them down on their sides with tweets on the outside, both pairs stacked. Perhaps tilted back a bit would help with the tweet/mid directionality.

Retro, I really would like to make it to the Fest, but probly can't go unless I can hitch a ride with someone. Another thing about speakers is that sound is so subjective. Someone could love these and hate something else that someone loves, and vice versa. These happen to cater quite well to my listening habits, and damnit if I don't think they just sound great :D

Inspiribomb said:
These happen to cater quite well to my listening habits, and damnit if I don't think they just sound great :D

That IS all that counts bro!

I think I'll have an extra seat or two for the fest if you're interested, just let me know.

Retro

EchoWars said:
I have the RS-5000's, and they're fairly 'ho-hum'....
I strongly suspect that the cheezy Infinity crossover is part of the fault here...
Suprising review EW. Those 5000s are from the mid '90s or so perhaps? I'd of said that any Infinity that used the EMIT technology would give you some nice smooth highs with a softer sound than many other tweeter designs. I'm not sure about the cabinet volume question, but I notice that ADS and other well respected (and good sounding) designs will literally use any cabinet volume that can accomodate the width of the woofer, if it is in a sealed cabinet. (Indeed, the greater the cabinet volume compared to the woofer width, the more below 40-50 Hz, as the Epicure line demonstrates nicely.) Putting two 10" on the 6000 is going to move a whole lot of air, just perhaps not so much below 40Hz or so. Finally, my Infinity RSB's crica '78-79 have some of the most complex and large cap crossovers I've ever seen discussed here. I'd say that they are a truly flat sounding accurate speaker, and that for a 3-way, I have to go a lot higher up the food chain to get any significant improvement. If I was using the RS-6000, I'm pretty sure I'd find them great for some tracks, but I'd have them A/B with a vintage "East-coast" two-way, as variety, IMHO, is king. ;) -sf

Back
Top Bottom